PDA

View Full Version : priming tools what are you using?

db2
05-07-2006, 01:53 PM
OK, I have about had it with the cheap lee hand priming tool that I've been using. I am looking for advise on some other setup. I have looked at everything from Sinclair to Hornady, hand held and bench mount. I have no idea what to get. What do you guys think? Thanks
db2

jballs918
05-07-2006, 02:03 PM
hwat problems are you having with the lee. it seems pretty much bullet proof

Bucks Owin
05-07-2006, 02:23 PM
I use a Lee handheld tool and think it's the best one around! The RCBS bench mount unit is OK but doesn't have as much "feel" as Lee's IMO....

How come you don't like it?

Curious,

Dennis

redneckdan
05-07-2006, 02:29 PM
i like my lee hand prime tool, fits me hand better then the rcbs tool.

Johnch
05-07-2006, 03:41 PM
I have 2 Lee hand held units .
1 for each large and small .

I did wear out one after many years of use , but a new one was cheap enough .

Johnch

j4570
05-07-2006, 03:55 PM
I use an RCBS Hand Prime, not the new one with the universal shellholder, but the older one that uses regular shellholders.

My father has broken 3 LEE's and has loaded about 1/4 of the rounds of my RCBS.

Otherwise, I use a Dillon 550B

Hip's Ax
05-07-2006, 04:14 PM
I use the Hornady. When I had this same question back in 2000 or 2001 the folks that answered me then said because the Hornady had the handle configuration that it does that it has the best feel when seating primers. Never used any other hand primer so I can't compare them. The Hornady was not trouble free but Hornady was really good about setting things straight. If I were to buy another hand primer I would buy another Hornady. HTH

rmb721
05-07-2006, 04:29 PM
db2
My advise is to buy the bench mounted RCBS Automatic priming tool. I have had one for years. I think it does have good feel. Several friends that had been using hand priming tools have tried mine and have switched. I had a spring on one of the primer rods break. When I called RCBS, they didn't want to know which one had broken. They sent me both new rods. Beat that for service!

C1PNR
05-07-2006, 05:32 PM
db2
My advise is to buy the bench mounted RCBS Automatic priming tool. I have had one for years. I think it does have good feel.
I've also been using one of these for a LONG time. Mounted it to a board that I "C" clamp to the bench, prime 50 or 500, then put it away.

You can really get into a good rhythm with good feel on every primer. I bought a set of the longer primer tubes so I'm not stopping every 50 cases to "reload" the primer tube.

db2
05-07-2006, 07:07 PM
I have used the lee hand prime for over 10 years, every two years I have to buy another one. That powder metal just does not hold up, even when I keep it lubed. The last two that I have bought have alinement issues. I have to hold my mouth and hand just right or the primer hangs up on the next primer in line. This morning I finally had it. Time to try something different. Thanks
db2

kodiak1
05-07-2006, 07:22 PM
lee also.
db2 next time in the old reloading supply store look at one of the ones you want to buy and see if it is made out of better material if not you may as well pay half the price and wear out a lee.
Ken

D.Mack
05-07-2006, 08:57 PM
One more vote for the lee, I had an rcbs, sold it I still have a bench mounted , and a Hornady, and prefer the lee, actually two one for large and one for small primers. I just kep them lubed and get a new one every few years. DM

NVcurmudgeon
05-08-2006, 02:13 AM
I have the old RCBS hand priming tool that uses regular shell holders, and the ram priming system on my RCBS Reloader Special 4 press. both of them seat the primers straight, and the hand priiming tool is unbelievably ergonomic. I bounce back and forth between the two without prejudice. With both of these tools I use the old Army AMU trick of seating the primer to half depth, rotating the case 180 degrees, and then seating the primer the rest of the way. Both of these modern tools beat the old swinging primer arm on my C-H Super C press back in 1959!

redneckdan
05-08-2006, 06:47 AM
what is the advantage behind the AMU method?

DLCTEX
05-08-2006, 10:20 AM
I have used the Lee for years, own 4 of them, but since buying my Lee classic turret with the priming attachment, thats all I use! If I'm just priming cases, I take the rod out and use it as a single stage.

DLCTEX
05-08-2006, 10:31 AM
Check that. When just priming cases, I pop the turret out, and use it that way.

NVcurmudgeon
05-08-2006, 10:59 AM
Redneckdan, the theory is that by pushing the primer in halfway from two sides, it will be seated straight. I seat bullets the same way. Also, the extra step makes me feel like I am being extra-careful!

klausg
05-08-2006, 11:26 AM
I use both a Lee Auto-Prime and the Hornady. The only problem I've had with the Lee was a broken handle, (cost me I think around $4.00 and about two days, even to Alaska). I like the Hornady better; it's more comfortable to use. My only problem with the Hornady is that I use Lee shell holders, (it's designed to use Hornady shellholders, but has adapters for RCBS) and if you cock the tool just right you can tip the primer onto it's side just prior to the upstroke, especially with small primers. Some day I will take my shellholders over to my buddy's shop to use his drill press to bore them out enough to accept the included RCBS adapters, (guessing about .01" or so) & I think everything will be hunk-dory then. Alternately, I could buy a set of Hornady shell holders. My only other complaint on the Hornady is that the design necesitates the removal of the primer tray cover prior to changing shell holders; not a real biggie as I generally am only loading one cartridge type at a time. Still with the Lee, I could dump a mess of primers in the tray and leave them and easily swith from .38 SPL to .32 H&R. Anyway, just my $.02...

-SSG Klaus

redneckdan
05-08-2006, 11:37 AM
Also, the extra step makes me feel like I am being extra-careful!

guess its worth a few mental horse power.

13Echo
05-08-2006, 02:54 PM
I use the Lee and have been for years. I think most broken Lee priming tools are from overstressing the tool by trying to seat the primer too deeply. You should be able to feel the primer bottom out and seat the anvil - go no further. Trying to seat deeper gains you nothing but a broken tool and sore thumbs.

Feel the primer seat and stop.

Jerry Liles

Dale53
05-08-2006, 03:40 PM
I have a Lachmiller bench tool, an RCBS hand tool, and a couple of Lee Priming tools (with magazine) as well as a couple of Pope style re-decappers.. I much prefer the Lee. I have worn out only one in many years. It cost little to replace it. I like the feel and I like the design (holds a full box of primers).

Dale53

jhalcott
05-08-2006, 06:06 PM
the only Lee primer tool I broke was on milsurp brass that the primer pocket crimp hadn't been reamed out. still got 2 lee's

SharpsShooter
05-08-2006, 06:51 PM
I have the old RCBS hand priming tool that uses regular shell holders. It is a snap to do 100 at a time without wearing out your hand, because it fits well. I also like the safety of it due to the design that closes off the primer feed during the seating operation to prevent multiple detonation. I have never set off a primer with a hand press tool, but I recall a lot# of Federal small pistol primers from the late 70's that if seated with a bench mounted press attachment a bit too firmly they would pop and scare the bejesus out of ya.

:coffee:

db2
05-08-2006, 06:56 PM
For all those who are useing the Lee. The last two that I had it seems the pin that lifts the primer to meet the case is off center. Because of this the pin catches on the next primer that is waiting its turn. So I have to put pressure on the handle tilt the whole thing and work the handle (squeze and release a couple of times) in order to get the primers to back off that are lined up to be next. This is on every case that I have to prime. Am I the only one with this problem? This is the part that I am tried of dealing with.

I have not broken one. But I do wear them out. The cam is made out of soft powder metal, that once it gets grooved deep enough the required pressure to seat a primer goes up quite a bit.

db2

dragonrider
05-08-2006, 07:36 PM
I use a Lee auto prime II, I think, that I modified to fit in a Lyman tru line junior press. I also use that press as a stand for my lyman 55 powder measure.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/PaulGauthier/reloading/reloadingsetup002.jpg

Leftoverdj
05-08-2006, 08:20 PM
I'm another Auto Prime II user. Mine sits in one of the little Lee Reloader presses. I had the priming system on a Lee Pro1000 blow on me years ago, and I don't wanna do no priming in my lap.

The Auto Prime II is all steel so it's not going to wear out, and it uses standard shellholders which is another big plus.

floodgate
05-08-2006, 08:22 PM
When I prime with a Lyman 310 tool - as I still do on occasion - I seat the primer in THREE stages, rolling the case about 120* with my thumb in between. Most of my priming is with one of the really OLD Lee hand primers: the one using the screw-in shell-holders, of which I have about twenty-five sizes, mostly picked up from the "junk" bins at gun shows or the bargain bins in gunshops. I have one of the older RCBS hand primers using the regular shell-holders, but the Lee just fits my hand better. But then, I rarely load more than one or two boxes of cases at a sitting. I just DO NOT TRUST priming in the press; too little "feel". floodgate

versifier
05-08-2006, 10:28 PM
Another happy AutoPrime2 user. I likewise mount mine on a Lee Reloader press that I also use for push-through sizing of my boolits. The little press gives great feel for seating, and it can be set so that they are seated to the proper depth at the top of the ram's stroke. Mounting it on my Rock Chucker gives no feel at all - that press is too heavy and the mechanical advantage too great to make it work safely. I have never had a detonation in any priming tool that I have used (AP1, two different ram primes, old RCBS bench mounted, and Rock Chucker's priming arm). The only negative is that they recommend using only CCI or Win primers. That's no big deal as that seems to be all anyone stocks around here anyway, unless I want to drive all the way to Kittery, a 150+ mile round trip. Many thousands of rounds primed on the AP2 and no problems that were not operator error. I think the bench or press mounted APS units are pretty slick, tried them and liked them, but I've got less than $30 in the Lee press and priming tool put together and the setup works well for me.

Ranch Dog
05-09-2006, 06:03 AM
Lee Auto Prime with over 20,000 primers through it. If you are having problems with this or any other tool it is improper prep of the primer pocket before you start the primer seating.

I use the K&M Primer Pocket Correction Tool to prep a case. In that brass that has cycled those 20K primers, I haven't found one that had a proper round pocket from the start. One use of the tool should correct the pocket for the life of the brass but I go ahead and check the pockets through the second cycle of the brass.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jesse99/km_primer_pocket.jpg (http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jesse99/km_primer_pocket.jpg)

The primers seat like "hot butter through a knife" once the pocket is corrected. I have found pistol brass to be the absolute worse for having a true pocket except for my Hornady 450 Marlin brass. Don't know how they do it but the pocket is undersized and hard to cut.

You've got a good tool (Lee) spend the money on this one and see what you think the. Precision Reloading (http://precisionreloading.com/KMProducts.htm) handles the product line but I've order them directly from K&M Services, (717) 292-3175. The cutters are $17 (LR, LP, SP&R) and the handle $5.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
05-09-2006, 07:03 AM
My vote is to get the tool Ranch Dog suggested and keep the Lee priming tool. If the tool is failing, it's either being heavy handed, bad primer pocket issues or both from what I've seen using mine.

Ranch Dog,

Thank you for posting that information. I've been looking for one of those to deal with my S&B cases for my CZ52 that are a bit too shallow.

Regards,

Dave

Ranch Dog
05-09-2006, 08:48 AM
Dave...

You will like the tool. I also have the K&M Neck Turning Tools and they way beyond anything offered.

dragonrider
05-09-2006, 05:09 PM
I use a Dillon primer pocket swaging tool, 600 ?, make them round and puts a nice radius on them. No primers catching or going in sideways.

keeper89
05-09-2006, 11:09 PM
LEE auto prime, been using the same one for nearly 20 years.....it is getting to the point for a new one but the one I have is still very functional, just getting a bit tired. It IS important to lube the toggle mechanism fairly regularly.......just my 02......

Four Fingers of Death
05-10-2006, 08:55 AM
I started out with a Lee auto prime in 1981 when I bought my RCBS Rockchucker combo. (17yrs using a Lee Loader prior to that).

After a year or so, it developed a few burrs where on the large round thingo which rides against the body and got a bit sticky. I sanded down the offending parts and lubed it with yukky black graphite grease, no prob since. used it to prime many thousands of cases. I have bought 5000 primers many times in all sizes, especially in small pistol. I would have been through at least 20000 large primers and God only knows how many small. Thousands of small and large rifle primers as well. I have never broked a part and apart from the scratchy phase, no prob. The only trouble I have had was from the 44 Mag shell holder. It was faulty and had a small chip fall out of it and then allowed the case to slip out on one side if you wern't watching. I shot it and bought another without grumbling.

The Bonanza was ok, but a bit of a pin to adjust. Good feel though. Soft alloy and stripped out one of the bolts which a friend fixed. Hardly bother with it now as the Lee is so quick to set up.

The lee ram prime is promising and is very consistent with seating depth, but tips primers over if not careful. Real pain, but mine came with two small primer tubes instead of one of each and so I haven't tried it one big primers yet. It should be good with accurate rifle loads, because it it very positive in the depth seating.

I have a second Lee now and have one set up for large and one for small. Best tool I have ever bought, its a shame it doesn't take standard shellholders. Buy t he box of shellholders at the same time if you buy it. I have just about bought all of them over the years.

versifier
05-10-2006, 11:10 AM
The AP2 combines the best features of the original AP with the Ram Prime and it uses standard shell holders.

bisley45
05-10-2006, 05:05 PM
I have both the old RCBS hand primer and the new one that takes the primer strips and the new one is my fav never tried the lee

Bucks Owin
05-13-2006, 12:31 PM
My vote is to get the tool Ranch Dog suggested and keep the Lee priming tool. If the tool is failing, it's either being heavy handed, bad primer pocket issues or both from what I've seen using mine.

Ranch Dog,

I agree. My method around any problems is to give my chamfer tool a quick spin in the primer pocket when I'm chamfering case mouths. Just enough to take off any burrs. Makes primer insertion smooth and easy...

Dennis

redneckdan
05-13-2006, 01:51 PM
I ran a batch of 800 .38 special last night, when I was changing my lee hand prime from .45acp to .38 spec I did notice wear on the cam. I had not been lubing it so I slapped some lithium grease on it and it operated much smoother. I stittin at about 5k through it right now.

LAH
05-13-2006, 05:13 PM
Well I've never primed on anything but my press. Does that say something bad about me? HEE HEE............Creeker

Lee
05-13-2006, 11:30 PM
Well, with a name like "Lee" what can I say?? I've got two Lee hand primers. Like everyone else, one for small and one for large primers. Just lazy, don't want to change the ram. I keep 'em lubed up with white lithium grease, havent had a problem yet. Have run several thousand thru each with no big problems. Occasionally I manage to get one stuck sideways. Dont know why, have to look into that. Some military cases have been hard to seat, I assume because I didn't remove the military crimp well enough.
Opinion wise, I have tried ram priming, but didn't care for the excessive leverage generated by the long ram arm, as well as the exaggerated motions required to prime an empty case. The Lee(read "any") type of hand priming tool, would, IMHO, allow a better seating feel than a press. That's my .02

Bucks Owin
05-14-2006, 10:40 AM
Well I've never primed on anything but my press. Does that say something bad about me? HEE HEE............Creeker

Sure does. You have less "feel" than the rest of us! :-D :roll:

Dennis

PGBsuperior
05-14-2006, 07:09 PM
I tend to load a thousand rounds of M2 ball at a time, and what I ended up doing is taking the powdermeasure and die plate out of one of my RBCS Pro2000 progressives and priming all the cases on that. Zip zip, you can go through a thousand cases much faster that way.

Amy

LAH
05-14-2006, 07:40 PM
Dennis.......you'll hurt my less than adequate feelings.

Newtire
06-02-2006, 07:41 AM
I use the Ram-Prime on a little Lee press dedicated to priming. My gripe about the Ram-Prime is that the hole thru the case holders for small rifle/pistol is too large for the primer & lets the primer get off center. I had trouble getting the hand-tool to seat deep enough/below flush but with this new one I got it doesn't seem to be a problem.

steveb
06-12-2006, 11:48 PM
I use one tool for all my priming needs and thats the Lee Auto Prime. I dont prime on the press cause the Lee Auto Prime Rock-N-Rolls:-D

Four Fingers of Death
06-13-2006, 04:23 AM
I think to use enough force to break any primer tool, you are going to be wrecking primers as well. I find these days that once or twice every 100 primers, I get resistance. I have to flip the tool up and shake the extra primer that got between the piston and the already primed round, a quick shake fixes it. I never noticed this in years gone past. MIck.

NucEm
06-13-2006, 08:57 AM
I have the old rcbs bench mounted primer tool but iam mostly use the Lee[smilie=1: I like to watch tv when doing that and its the only reloading step i do outside the reloading room of mine:) This is my third lee, they last about 3 years each:roll: but they are cheap to replace :drinks: