PDA

View Full Version : Will my Webley's like them..?

Mr. S
11-08-2009, 07:26 PM
I have been waiting for my RCBS .45-265-RN-HB Webley Mould, to come for a while now. It finally arrived late last week. I cleaned it up and did some casting with it today. I had heard it could be a bear to cast with. We wrestled for a while today ;-)

It seemed to take a long time before I started to get boolits I would not drop back into the pot. I hope to try the keepers in a couple of weeks.

I cast them out of 30-1 alloy. They are averaging 274 grains and measure .4555 - .4565 in diameter on average un-sized.

After researching a load, I had settled on 4.3 grains of Unique in a .45 AR case. That was when I thought the boolits would be around 265 grains. I may have to re-think the powder charge now.

Both of my Webley's (Mark V and Mark VI) have shaved cylinders.

What do you think?

Thanks

Rick

http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp130/Rickkster707/Casting/WebleyBoolitsRS.jpg

Ricochet
11-08-2009, 07:44 PM
Pretty!

wiljen
11-08-2009, 07:47 PM
Thats a pretty boolit ya cast there but they have huge voids in the base. :kidding:

they look great. Hope your revolvers like em.

Mr. S
11-08-2009, 07:59 PM
Thats a pretty boolit ya cast there but they have huge voids in the base. :kidding:

they look great. Hope your revolvers like em.

After tossing about the first 100 or so back into the pot, I gave up on getting that base to fill out............. ;-)

Rick

Shiloh
11-08-2009, 08:29 PM
What does the barrel slug at?? Chambers??

Shiloh

Mr. S
11-08-2009, 08:49 PM
What does the barrel slug at?? Chambers??

Shiloh

Shiloh,

I haven't slugged them yet. I actually just got these two Webley's about three weeks ago after years of setting money aside in hopes of finding some, sometime.

I did shoot the Mark VI last week with a handload of 4.5 grains of W231, with cast 230 grain .452 RN boolits, in R-P .45 AR cases. That load felt warm. Extraction was ok and it shot to POA at 15 yards.

Rick

Buckshot
11-09-2009, 01:45 AM
..............Just like casting Minie' bullets, be very carefull of voids over the basepin. Some can have a thin skin of lead and appear perfect. However sticking a jewelers screwdriver into the top of the base cavity can puncture through and expose a void. A couple things have worked for me to migate the voids. One, with pure lead and it's higher melting point is to run the melt about 850 -900 degrees. Using pure lead I merely have the pot running flat out. Your bit of tin will lower the melting point some but you should still stay in that temp range.

Secondly keep the flow going a half second once the cavity has filled. If using a dipper, lift the dipper away and continue to pour until the dipper is empty. Cast as rapidly as you comfortably and safely are able. The hotter your mould and base pin are the better off you'll be.

..............Buckshot

Mr. S
11-27-2009, 05:56 PM
Hello again. I am finally getting around to loading these boolits I cast for my Webley's. A number of folks suggested I use Hodgdon CLAYS for my reloads.

So I managed to find a couple of 14 oz. bottles. This is the first time I have reloaded with CLAYS.

Is it normal for it to look like there are two different powders mixed? The powder is mostly flat gray flakes with what looks like light greenish or yellow tinted donuts.

It almost looks like there is Trail Boss mixed in to me. Sorry for the crummy picture. I took it fast.

Both of the bottles have the same powder in them.

Thanks!

Rick

http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp130/Rickkster707/Casting/CLAYSrs.jpg

EMC45
11-27-2009, 06:52 PM
That bullet would probably work well with the Taurus Judge if cast out of softish alloy.

awaveritt
11-27-2009, 09:24 PM
Pretty Boolits! How 'bout a sneak-peek pic of those Webleys?

Mr. S
11-27-2009, 09:39 PM
Here ya go. Just a quick pic. On the top (sorry, a little cut off) is my Mark IV (.38/200)

In the middle is my Mark V (originally .455, but the cylinder was shaved when I got it).

At the bottom is my Mark VI. Again it has a shaved cylinder.

Thanks,

Rick

http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp130/Rickkster707/Casting/WebleysFamilyRS.jpg

awaveritt
11-27-2009, 09:48 PM
Thanks, Rick. Handsome family you got there. I've got a buddy who has two Webleys, a 455 and 38/200. He's a WWII historian buff and loves all things British which piqued his interest in the Webley. He doesn't cast or reload and I've offered to load/cast for him but he lives in another state.

Mr. S
11-27-2009, 10:02 PM
I've had the Mark IV for over ten years now. It is a fun gun at the range. My Marks V & VI are more recent additions. I do enjoy the Webley's.

Thanks,

Rick

MtGun44
11-27-2009, 11:02 PM
The old time fix for a revolver with oddball cyl throat and or barrel dimensions was a hollow
base boolit. I suspect that these will do just fine in sorting out whatever dimensions you
find in the Webleys. Of course, it would be interesting to know what the groove and
throat dimensions are.

Bill

Buckshot
11-28-2009, 03:24 AM
...............I have no answer for your question, but it sure doesn't look right to me. If the containers were bought retail and sealed, I would for sure e-mail the manufacturer (without the picture attached) and let them know what you've found, and tell them you have a picture if they will accept an attachment.

Nice peestols too, BTW. Veddy Veddy, British :-)

................Buckshot

dromia
11-28-2009, 03:28 AM
What do you mean by a shaved cylinder?

Mr. S
11-28-2009, 08:24 AM
What do you mean by a shaved cylinder?

The rear face of the Mark V and Mark VI cylinders were machined off a little to make room for .45 ACP in moon clips or .45 Auto Rim Cartridges. I won't use .45 ACP in them because I believe they are too hot. From what I have read, the average pressure of a .45 ACP is very close to, or exceeds the proof load pressure of the Webley's.

It is my understanding that the shaving of the cylinder was a fairly common modification by importers years ago due to the difficulty of getting .455 Webley ammo.

Both of my .455 Webleys had this done to them long before I bought them.

That is why I wanted to use use reloads in .45 AR cases with them.

Here are the reloads, I wasn't sure which picture looked better. The one with flash or without. It's off to the mountains now. PA's rifle deer season comes in Monday. All the best!

Thanks,

Rick

http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp130/Rickkster707/Casting/WebReloadsRS1.jpg

http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp130/Rickkster707/Casting/WebReloadsRS2.jpg

Mr. S
11-28-2009, 08:35 AM
The old time fix for a revolver with oddball cyl throat and or barrel dimensions was a hollow
base boolit. I suspect that these will do just fine in sorting out whatever dimensions you
find in the Webleys. Of course, it would be interesting to know what the groove and
throat dimensions are.

Bill

Bill, sorry, I just saw your question. The throats measure .4510 - .4515. I slugged them a couple of weeks ago. I didn't get the barrels slugged yet though. A lot happened in our family right after I got the throats slugged.

Thanks,

Rick

Bret4207
11-28-2009, 09:58 AM
My Webley lust is only exceeded by my S+W lust. Nice collection, you lucky dog!

The Virginian
03-25-2011, 10:02 AM
My Webley lust is only exceeded by my S+W lust. Nice collection, you lucky dog!

Mine too as the S&W 1917s and 2nd models in .455 are the most beautiful revolvers ever sent to war!