PDA

View Full Version : Cmmg ar-15

dk17hmr
11-08-2009, 06:30 PM
I bought one of these "Bargin Bin" AR-15's from CMMG, http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/?cart=1988048&cat=1& , I normally would build one if I wanted one but for $625 shipped I didnt think I could all the parts together for it and thats what this is a parts gun.

Its a basic M4 style carbine, with a 6 position stock, 16" barrel, flat top. I purchased a Matech Back up rear sight for it, which I got for 1/4 of the price of a new one. My dad found me a CAA buttstock, he has one and said I need to get one I would really like it (which I do), purchased that new from a guy on AR15.com, little over 1/2 price. I looked around and found a set of quad rails that replace standard handgaurds on gunbroker, I bid low and won them for 1/4 of the price of new, these are CAA also and aluminum, should be here tomorrow. While on misson at the hardware store for the girlfriend I looked at flashlights and found an LED light that looked like it had a 1" tube for $8, bought it thinking if it didnt have a 1" tube I would leave it in my truck, got home measured it with my digital calipers right at 1", that will work perfectly to mount on the quad rail in a regular set of scope rings I can get at Walmart. I have a JP Enterprize spring kit coming to lighten the trigger up a bit, claims to take them down to 4.5 pounds, it was cheap enough from Brownells and I needed to order some small parts for the 1911 anyways.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/dk17hmr/Bulletmolds038.jpg

The Matech sight instructions say to zero it at 25 yards while the sight is set on 300 yards by adjusting the front post up or down you bring your point of impact to where it needs to be than use the windage knob to get zeroed perfectly, than you are "ready" for 200-600 yards depending on where you set the sight. These arent match grade sights but they are nice, effective, and compact. They fold down give plenty of clearance for optics...which will come later this if going to be used as one of my coyote hunting rifles.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/dk17hmr/Bulletmolds042.jpg

Now a cool looking rifle is about useless if you cant hit anything with it. For only iron sights mounted on it right now it does alright. The go to load for our 223 has always been 25gr of H335 with any .224 55gr bullet you can stuff in the case. Well after moving 3/4 of the way across the country it turns out I dont have any H335, I was going to buy some but looking at a loading book showed H322 suitable for 223's with 55gr bullets, I have H322 because I burn it in my 450 Marlin and 6.8 SPC. Max load is 23.0gr, so I started at 22.5 with a 55gr V-Max, which ran good and grouped decent, bumped it up to 23.0gr with the same bullet CCI 400 primers and Lake City range pick up brass....still fine tuning the sight.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/dk17hmr/Bulletmolds036.jpg

I have about 100 round down the tube now about half have been V-max bullets the others were 55gr FMJ's from Armscorp, which ran and grouped every bit as good as my handloads and they are only $20 a box of 50.

I like the little carbine, I think it was a good buy....best part is the local police use Lake City ammo and never clean up there range so I have a pretty good sorce of 223/556 brass.

I have a 5-15x Bushnell with milldots mounted on my 22 hornet, which I am going to mount on this carbine, hopefully I will trade/sell the spare stocks and get a one piece scope mount for it.

cheese1566
11-08-2009, 06:50 PM
Nice looking gun! CMMG is good stuff with excellent service.

So what was the cosmetic flaw to end up on their bargain bin special?
What brand lower did you get?

I bought a used 22 conversion here a few months ago that was missing the bolt. I spoke to CMMG and ended up sending the kit to them. They concluded their parts and bolt would interchange. The tech dropped in a bolt into my conversion and test fired my 30rnd mag and one 30rnd of theirs. He called and said it functioned flawlessly. I told him to bill me for the bolt and an extra mag. They did not charge me for the testing or ammo- and even gave me a 10% LE discount courtesy. (I wonder if that would apply to a bargain bin rifle?!) oh, yeah, the entire process from my door and back was exactly one week!

Kudos to CMMG!!

dk17hmr
11-08-2009, 07:17 PM
About the only thing I see was the nut that holds the buffer tube on is messed up a bit like the spanner wrench slipped or someone used a screw driver and hammer to tighten it...doesnt bother me, planned on paintin the little guy to match the sage and sand around here so that will cover up the little imperfections.

The lower is a Double Star....ussally use Stags or DPMS lowers when we build them, no real experience with Double Star yet, seem so be fine though. The upper and lower fit tight together but not so tight that the pins need to be driven out when you want to field strip.