PDA

View Full Version : Single Base Stick vs Double Base Ball

JohnH
05-06-2006, 09:51 PM
Went shooten with the guys today and at the eatin' joint we were discussin' various points of our experience. One point that seemed to have some general agreement was that it is easier to use a single base stick powder over a broad range of cartridges than it is to use a double base ball and get as good results. Not a pefect evertime kinda thing, just that we've found that when we start working with a new case we all do the same thing.... reach for a single base stick powder first. Whats been your experience with this?

felix
05-06-2006, 11:01 PM
Yes, that is the best approach for cases 308W and larger. 45 grain cases thru 25 grainers, a cheap ball powder (H335) will work well without hassle using full loads. When dropping below optimum performance, then stick powders prevail. Keep in mind that some stick powders are being made which are double base. This is good for more powerfull loads, but we normally don't need that kind of power. ... felix

Jeffreytooker
05-06-2006, 11:06 PM
we start working with a new case we all do the same thing.... reach for a single base stick powder first. Whats been your experience with this?[/QUOTE]

John:

I started out with IMR and surplus 4831. I have been using mostly IMR since then. I have some ball powders but I do not use them. For fast powder I use Alliant. I guess I just have not had the need to go there yet. People usually work from the known to the unknown. I have a powder which I want to load Boolits with. There is very little data for it. I am working up loads for Winnemucca with AA2495 (stick powder ~ IMR 4895). When I get back I will start working on loads for the same rifles with the same boolits using the other powder. The younger shooters who were raised with ball powder may do it diffrently. As for me I prefer stick powder. If it aint broke don't fix it.

Just before I retired this year I got a couple of jugs of Data 85 (read Ramshot Hunter) It is a ball powder with a speed down around IMR 4350 and 4831. I also got some IMR 7383 (stick powder). It seems to work well in cases with a large case volume to bore ratio for the other kind of bullits. As long as I have enough 7383 the Ramshot Hunter can just sit in its jugs. There may come a day when I need it. I have a pound of BLC2 that I have not opened in 25 years. Think of how most people think of rifle powders other than IMR. Say for instance Varget, it is near IMR 4895. Reloader 7 is near 4198.

Here is a question for you. If you could have only one rifle powder for ALL of your rifles which one would it be?

Jeffrey

44man
05-06-2006, 11:29 PM
Mine would be Varget, most accurate powder I have ever used.

felix
05-06-2006, 11:44 PM
Very good choice! Single base. ... felix

Bass Ackward
05-07-2006, 05:31 AM
Very nice outline Felix.

Trouble is trying to remember everything with this hobby.

1. The single .... "widest" generality for shooting cast is to start a cast bullet off as gently as possible while maintaining consistent ignition.

2. Ball powders are harder to ignite at comparable burn rates and don't burn well at low pressures. (cooler burning) So you end up going with a faster ball powder than you would otherwise need in a stick powder in order to get consistent ignition. Then because a ball powder is smaller grained in most cases, you might need fillers. And a ball powder can work in and around those if ammunition is carried less than perfectly, or the gun isn't held in perfect position. (hunting)

So you end up with a quandry of sorts. Going faster in burn rate to help ball powder burn while negatively working against your relatively weak bullet. Now this isn't saying that you can't make it work. But almost everytime I have, I have been able to go down in burn rate with a stick powder and make it work better.