PDA

View Full Version : Star lubersizer

emptyhead
11-08-2009, 10:09 AM
Been saving up and selling stuff to add a star sizer to my collection. Where can I pick one up and what price range can I expect to pay. I don't shoot massive amounts but anything to cut the tedious job of lubing in half is great.

NuJudge
11-08-2009, 10:19 AM
They are still being made by Magma:
http://magmaengineering.com/products/54-magma-star-lube-sizer

There are used ones available here and other for sale listings.

Accessories such as dies are available here and many other sources.

cajun shooter
11-08-2009, 10:28 AM
Even though you did say that you don't size a lot, I would purchase the shovel handle at the time of my order. It's a $25 add on that you will add down the road when you have blisters from the stock file handle.

iron mule
11-08-2009, 11:06 AM
emptyhead
if you want a new one get it from magma /// as to the dies i reccomend that you get them from lasersmith he is a member here and you can find him in the vendors section // 1+ on the shovel handle or you may want to try the roller handle that is offered here -see the vendors section again for this -- one thing on using a star they can be fustrating and agrivating to begin with but this is caused by people not taking the time to just look and use thier noggin with the set up on the dies /// i have one gonna get a couple more
mule

HeavyMetal
11-08-2009, 11:37 AM
Generally Star's really hold thier value.

Evil bay usually has them but you will most likely pay as much, or in some cases, more than a new one from Magma. Some times the extras that come with the Star on evil bay make it worth the money.

If you are in no hurry it won't hurt you to play the wait and see game at that site.

You may also try the gun shows. Every show I've attended has someone specializing in reloading or casting stuff. Strangely these vendors never seem to put any Star stuff out but if you ask they know more than you'd think.

I obtained my last Star about a year ago for 175 at the Costa Mesa gun show. Same deal when asked he had one in his truck but not on display. Go figure.

If your flush enough to buy new do so! You'll be up and running much faster. I will also second the improved handles.

emptyhead
11-08-2009, 11:43 AM
Thanks guys. I'll probably buy new, the guns shows in this area[ southern NY] usually are pushing the same junk show after show and they want your next born for it.

Springfield
11-08-2009, 11:54 AM
Funny, I lubed thousands of bullets a week for a few years before I made me a roller handle and had absolutely no problem with it. But I do like the roller handle better.

AJ Peacock
11-08-2009, 12:03 PM
Definitely get your dies and punches from Lathesmith here on the site. I haven't tried his roller handle but it sure looks nice.

AJ

EDK
11-08-2009, 07:42 PM
While you're saving for the new MAGMA/STAR, watch eBAY, etc, Reloading equipment like the STAR is all over the place on prices.

I have had ZERO luck with moulds, etc on gunbroker, but buy a lot of brass and a few guns there. Ebay is good for moulds. Watch the classifieds here and your other favorite forums.

Even a blind hog will find an acorn once in awhile.

:cbpour::redneck:

20nickels
11-11-2009, 05:20 PM
I watched ebay for 6 mths before I finally broke down and ordered a new one. One mth wait BTW.