PDA

View Full Version : 444 Marlin Point (P)?

dromia
11-08-2009, 08:55 AM
I've got an option on a 444 Marlin underlever, the guy calls it a Marlin Point.

I've always fancied the 444 Marlin as a cast boolit cartridge for a play around with, the odd woodland red and occasional boar if the chance comes up.

I'm speaking to the fellow on Tuesday so anything I should look out for or need to know specific to this rifle and cartridge?

Also how does it do on reduced loads to say 44 special levels with that large case?

6pt-sika
11-08-2009, 09:19 AM
If it actually is a model 444P it should have a straight grip lever and a ported barrel thats 18 3/4" long . In decent shape those rifles bring close to $500 here in the USA . In the UK I would have no idea what a fair price is .

As to loading down to 44 Special levels or even 44 MAG levels , I've never tried it !

NickSS
11-08-2009, 10:31 AM
I have not tried it with a 444 but I have with a 45-70 which is a larger volume case. I have had good luck with that cartridge. I have loaded round ball to 500 fps for shooting at close range and 250 gr bullets at 45 colt velocities with good luck as well. I see no reason why you could not do the same in a 444. I mostly use red dot or Unique powder for reduced loads anywhere from 5 to 10 gr works for me. 12 gr with a 300 gr bullet works well for a light hunting load for small game.

Ranch Dog
11-08-2009, 11:07 AM
It is an outstanding cartridge, cast bullets or otherwise, and in that you are a QuickLoad fellow it should not be difficult to arrive at any load that meets your fancy. 6pt and I are what you would call "444 nuts" and are willing to try most anything with the cartridge.

A number of years ago, I had worked up some very light loads with the Lee C430-310-RF. I was punching them through turkeys at airgun velocities. Low and behold there is big old boar hog walking toward me. I figure what the heck, and bean him in the head at about 35-yards. I mean I've killed them with 22 RF bullets at these velocities. I lay him out pretty as you please and the next thing I know he is back up and gone. I guess it just stunned him. My trail dog was pissed at me for loosing the hog, she sat down on her haunches with her back turned to me and ignored me for the remainder of the day. I punch big holes through them now.

Tony65x55
11-08-2009, 11:20 AM
Haha..Good story Michael.

Dromia, try 6-8 grains of Bullseye behind a 240 to 310 grain cast lead boolit. Gentle as can be, needs no fillers and shoots one hole at 50 yards. The pressure curve on Bullseye is so fast you get decent bullet obturation but be careful of overcharges. You can easily miss a double charge and that gets exciting.

MtGun44
11-08-2009, 09:29 PM
No experience with .444 marlin, but in .45-70 (similar huge case and bore diam) I
use 10 - 15 gr of Unique and a std primer with excellent results, no dacron or other
aids required. I would expect similar results with the .444.

Bill

Lloyd Smale
11-09-2009, 08:11 AM
ive got a 444p its actually called an outfitter and is a great little rifle.

dromia
11-09-2009, 05:45 PM
Thank you all gentlemen your input, insight and knowledge is much appreciated.

I'll speak to him the morra and have him post it up to me for inspection, I'll post some photographs when it lands.