PDA

View Full Version : 30-30 Marlin 336 Cowboy Range Report

Whit Spurzon
11-07-2009, 09:46 PM
http://www.myhostedpics.com/images/Pathfinder/arlin001a.jpg
Original 336 Cowboy (top)
Cowboy Conversion (below)

I recently got my 336 Cowboy Conversion back from Marlin and I couldn't wait to get the new Marlin 336 Cowboy Conversion out to the range even though the wind was blowing the rain sideways... Here are the results (DOUBLE CHECK ALL DATA! USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!)

The first bullets down the barrel were the Oregon Trail 170 grain laser cast .310" RNFP bullet. A load that has proven accurate in all (five) of my 336's is 5 grains of Red Dot powder did in fact prove be accurate in the 336 Cowboy Conversion too. The load averaged 1047 fps. This was also the only bullet in this session that was NOT gas checked.

The next load tested was the Lee C309-113F ("Soup Can") over 10.5 grains of IMR SR 4756. The load averaged 1652 fps and with promising accuracy. The "Soup Can" bullet was also tested with 3.3 grains (.5cc Lee powder scoop) of Red Dot Powder. At 30 yards the accuracy showed promise measuring .740" under less than ideal conditions, sitting position, poor light, wind and rain. The velocity averaged 856 fps.

Next up was the Ranch Dog TLC311-165RF and my expectation was high. It too has proven to be an accurate bullet in my Marlins and it proved to be so again. The weather limited the range I could shoot but I suspect this will be the bullet of choice for Hunting (once I work up a load that will drive it over 1800 fps) and Silhouette. My 30-30 silhouette load for my other Marlin 336 Cowboy is the 10.5 grain charge of SR 4756 (this is a MAX load according to the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook). The new Cowboy conversion averaged about 50 fps slower than my original Cowboy but looks like it will be equally as accurate . The average velocity was 1402 fps with a tiny extreme spread for the string - <10 fps.

I also use the Ranch Dog bullet over 5 grains of Red Dot for Grouse loads as it typically shoots very close to full powder Jacketed bullet hunting loads out to 50 yards or so. In this rifle it averaged 944 fps which makes for a nice soft recoiling and quiet subsonic load. At 30 yards the group, including the flier was a little over 1/2". Throwing out the flier the group printed into one enlarged hole. It should make easy work on Grouse inside this range - still have till the end of the year to try it on them...

Other observations:
-My eyes appreciate that extra 4" distance on the front sight.
-That 4" is noticeable maneuvering around the house, meaning less than ideal for HD. We'll see how that translates in the field later this month.
-It does feel heavier than my 20" 336's. Nice for target shooting, might not be so welcome after walking around with it for a few hours.
-No leading was detected while cleaning the rifle afterward.
-The throat is a bit tighter than my other Marlins - except for the SDT (now owned by Pine Cone). The driving band on the Soup Can bullet does engrave on the rifling.
-Octagon barrels look cool.
-So far I am very pleased. Marlin returned a rifle that is beautiful and more importantly accurate.

On my second trip to the range I had hoped the weather would be better but it was not... More wind and even harder rain but I posted my targets out a little farther anyways - 50 yards.

The load that is emerging as the favorite is the Ranch Dog TLC311-165 bullet over SR 4756. The picture below shows three 50 yard groups each on a different notch on the rear sight elevator (2nd, 3rd and 4th up from the bottom). The point of aim was the bottom of the wide black ring. I'm sure the rifle will do better but in the pouring rain it was tough to see the target.

http://www.myhostedpics.com/images/Pathfinder/50yardtargetrd4756.jpg

The Lee 113gr bullet over SR4756 or Red Dot didn't fair as well at the longer range. The conditions may have played a part in that - the target was difficult to see in the low light, at times the rain was very heavy and the wind was strong enough it pushed me aroujnd on the bench. I will retest at a later date.

EDK
11-07-2009, 10:29 PM
Your information will come in handy. My two 336 Cowboys haven't gotten much load work done yet. I also have a 30/30 RC with micro groove rifling. No trigger jobs, etc. on the guns so far, but I want LYMAN 66 receiver sights and probably the #17 front also. That set up works on my 44 and 45/70 Cowboys. The gmdr web site lists a lot of reduced loads with cast boolits in various calibers. My two moulds are for 311041 and a plain base clone from a group buy over at castboolits. My accuracy picked up with water dropped wheel weight alloy, sized to .311.

These are really neat guns. I wonder how long before MARLIN starts making them again. The RC was purchased to be sent in for conversion last winter and then I stumbled onto the second Cowboy at a good BUY NOW price.

:cbpour::redneck::Fire:

NickSS
11-08-2009, 02:05 AM
That sounds like a nice set of loads you are working on. I know what you mean about rain in WA as that,s were I live as well. It has been raining almost every time I headed for the range for over a month now with no letup in sight. I have a 38-55 cowboy but wanted a 30-30 cal one as well but have not found one when I had money to date. Well some day I will get one. One load that I use for 200 yard silhouette matches at my club with a 30-30 is a Lyman 311041 over 18 gr of 4198. Out of my 94 Winchester is prints 3 inch groups from a bench rest at 200 yards. I have knoked over a lot of steel with that load.

Whit Spurzon
11-08-2009, 03:58 PM
Nick, sent you a PM.

I'll have to try that 4198 load.

Whit Spurzon
11-08-2009, 07:30 PM
Tried a couple more loads.

2.8 grains of Bullseye under the Lee c309-113F averaged 828 fps with an 87 fps :-? but was quite accurate at 25 yards - didn't try father.

17.5 grains of Hercules 2400 (Lyman & RCBS data)- I have a few pounds of this left... - under the Ranch Dog TLC 311-165 RF averaged 1854 fps with an extreme spread of less than 10 fps for the (short) string. The accuracy looks promising but won't know for sure until I can shoot at longer range. There was some minor leading evident. I suspect it was inadequate lubing - a thin coat of Liquid Alox...

I'm having fun with this rifle. Just wish the wind and rain would let up.

northmn
11-08-2009, 08:40 PM
My cowboy likes a 150 grain Lee bullet with 4759 at about 14.5 grains. Another load that has taken three deer is the Lee 312 185 grain mold (casts out at 188 grains) I size it with a flat nose punch and then temper. Like to use about 2% Antimony? 24.5 grs of RE 7. I use birdshot for alloy. Got one deer at 140 steps with it and still blew a good sized hole. The Ballard rifling is pretty versatile with cast bullets.

Northmn