PDA

View Full Version : My smelting set up

Rockydog
11-07-2009, 09:27 PM
Just a pic of my smelting set up. My neighbors FIL retired as a plumber and sold me this, full of LP BTW, for $20. The sleeve that held the pot on the burner was rusted out and would not support the pot any longer. I modified the brake drum that I had lying around the garage to hold the pot. RD

Boondocker
11-07-2009, 09:51 PM
I like it, how long does it take too melt down a batch. Good idea on the drum also.:bigsmyl2:

Rockydog
11-07-2009, 10:01 PM
About 20 minutes from a cold start to pouring ingots with WW. I usually mound it up and about the time the WW get down to the rim level I mound it up again. When those melt the pot will be level full of clips on top of the melt. I get three pans of ingots from the pot about 35- 40 pounds per pot. RD

WHITETAIL
11-08-2009, 09:02 AM
:redneck:Good job!

Doc Highwall
11-08-2009, 01:32 PM
It looks like it could be top heavy, make sure that you add a support. I would hate to see any body get burned.

Edubya
11-08-2009, 02:06 PM
Rocky, that's one of the best looking setups that I've seen.
I sure would to see close-ups of the nozzle attachment. From what I can see, it appears to have a nozzle like the "weed burners" http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=91033
If that's the case, how is it attached to the supply tank? It looks like a fella could get a couple of brake drums and weld some lengths of 3/4" tubing between the brake drums to just about duplicate what you have there. Sure would be less expensive than the turkey fryers.
I like the height of your setup too. It looks like a good working height and with a simple table next to the pot, you wouldn't have to bend over for anything after you got the fire going.
EW

Rockydog
11-08-2009, 06:55 PM
Doc, I never thought about the top heavy part as it's always been full of propane. Thank you very much for pointing that out. I can see this thing in my mind, flopping over on my feet. Not good at all! Perhaps I can add a base to the bottom of the tank with J bolts or something. I've got a 3/4" X 2 foot diameter piece of plate I was going to put my drill press on. Maybe it has a new use. RD

Rockydog
11-08-2009, 07:02 PM
Edubya, The nozzle on this is mounted inline with the tanks threaded outlet. There is also a fill tee and a valve between the nozzle and the tank. This tank is an old style with out overflow protection. The local propane company will refill it as they consider it a commercial application. If I can find the right piece of metal I'm going to extend the drum upward a bit around the pot. I'd like to add about 3". RD

Edubya
11-08-2009, 07:10 PM
Thanks for the reply to my questions. Your setup has certainly inspired some thoughts. I have two two turkey fryers but I'm going to attempt to build my own unique unit.
EW

Doc Highwall
11-08-2009, 08:45 PM
Lead weighs approx 23 Lbs a quart just to give you a idea about being top heavy when the pot is full. I have mine about the same height but it is mounted on a metal table that is 30" deep by 60" long with about 300lbs of ingots ready to put into the casting pot.

Rockydog
11-08-2009, 10:44 PM
Doc, That 23 pounds sounds about right compared to my pot size and yield. So you have a circle cut in the table that you lower the pot into? What if you mounted it on a set of wheels so you could cast outside and roll it in for storage? RD

Doc Highwall
11-12-2009, 07:44 PM
Rockydog, if you cast out side make shure you have some kind of protection over head so no stray drops of any kind of liquid can cause the tinsel fairy to visit.

RP
11-12-2009, 08:20 PM
Nice setup and heres a ideal on a stand for the tank. One sheet of plywood cut lets say in half cut a hole in one half for the tank to fit into. Take the other half and either mount it on wheels (you will need a frame if doing that)To make moving it around easy. Whatever you got laying around to hold the top sheet up a few 5 gal buckets may work. Make it as fancy as you like but you now have a base mount and a table to hold ingot moulds or what ever. Oh paint it green to make the tree huggers happy and tell them your smelting to keep the lead out of paint and landfeilds.