PDA

View Full Version : Ruger NMSB Hunter sight

arcticbreeze
11-07-2009, 07:04 PM
Hello Everyone

Some of you might remember some of the posts about the "One Ragged Hole" sights. Well I now have added a FireSight front sight to compliment the ORH rear aperture for low light pig hunting and I have to say that I love it. The standard front sight is great against a light colored background but very hard to see against a big black wild boar deep in the swampy woods. Most shots here are at low light conditions and I think this is just what the doctor ordered. The pics are not the best because I had a hard time lining everything up and by the time I got it my arm was tired and moving around but here it is, before and after.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=126&pictureid=710

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=126&pictureid=1563

Bucks Owin
11-07-2009, 07:28 PM
Looks good! I've been pondering a pair of Blackhawk ORH sights myself. My eyes ain't what they used to be. Did they shrink your groups? Great photos....Dennis

arcticbreeze
11-07-2009, 07:54 PM
Looks good! I've been pondering a pair of Blackhawk ORH sights myself. My eyes ain't what they used to be. Did they shrink your groups? Great photos....Dennis

The ORH did help at ranges out to 50yds. That was with the Ruger factory front sight. I will be shooting with the new front sight tomorrow so I will let you know. I will probably never have to shoot that far though in my area.

44man
11-08-2009, 09:30 AM
Yes, looks great. But I think as time goes by, you will then fall in love with an Ultra Dot! [smilie=l:

kelbro
11-08-2009, 11:05 PM
Yes, looks great. But I think as time goes by, you will then fall in love with an Ultra Dot! [smilie=l:

44Man is right. I'm really starting to like my Eotech. It looks like the ORH would be easier to holster though.

ghh3rd
11-09-2009, 12:44 AM
The main two obstacles that I have with shooting are my eyes :neutral:.

I just bought a Ruger SBH, and was quick to notice the aperature sight in articbreeze's avitar picture of his SBH. I wanted to find out more about it, found the One Ragged Hole site today, and ordered a set of them. I haven't even fired a shot from my new gun, and am already swapping sights. It looks like an inexpensive upgrade that may help me a lot.

That Firesight looks intersting too... have to see how it worked for him.

Randy

ole 5 hole group
11-09-2009, 07:55 AM
What might be a great idea for someone possessing the equipment & skills would be to make a mount for Rugers and BFR's for the JPoint sight. I think even 44 Man might recommend it due to the weight and compact size. The two problems I see are the price and how well it will hold up to heavy recoil. Would this be at all doable?

http://www.jprifles.com/1.6.1.php

44man
11-09-2009, 09:06 AM
I thought about some of the other red dots but after having my guns eat so many scopes and red dots over the years, even on my .44, I shy from spending money unless I know how tough they are. I called Bushnell about their model and they didn't think it would take severe recoil.
Something else to think about is how exposed the glass is on models like the JP. I hunt in all kinds of weather and it looks like it would be a pain to keep water and snow off the thing.
I called Magnum Research when I bought my first BFR and they said all they use are the Ultra Dots. Prices are good too. After thousands of rounds the only problem I have had is the screws in the switch came loose on one. I sent it in and they replaced the switch. They have a lifetime warranty.
I wanted a scope for target and got a sale paper for a Swift. I read pages about how strong they are built so I bought one. I think it was shot number 9 that gutted it. The replacement went on my Mark II. :bigsmyl2:

44man
11-09-2009, 09:10 AM
By the way, since my revolvers are what I hunt with, I use shoulder holsters. Uncle Mikes holsters for scoped contenders work great, I even found one that the 10" 45-70 fits perfect.

HamGunner
11-27-2009, 09:59 PM
I have not deer hunted with my revolvers for years because I could not see the sights anymore. I mounted a 1 1/2 power Redfield on my Ruger Blackhawk and it was better and I did kill deer with the revolver again, but I did not like hunting with a scope. A couple of years ago I bought the ORH sights for both my Ruger Blackhawk and my 94 Win. in .44 mag. I can now see to shoot again and I took a whitetailed doe this year with the revolver. I like the sight and it can be carried in the usual holsters just as regular open sights.

The firesight looks like another improvement that I will have to check out further. I am not interested in anything except open sights, so glad to find something for the front sight also. Thanks.

Three44s
11-27-2009, 11:37 PM
I have used the Bushnel Holosight extensively on my Redhawk in .44 ...... no problems .... GREAT accuracy!

I have a Super Redhawk with a 9.5" barrel ..... also in .44 .......

...... it wears the ORH peep and the Ruger front bead and I painted it black with a laundry pen.

Very good combo.

I own and tried first the orange and then the green fiber optics before I installed the ruger bead front and though you can see those sights in lower light ...... for me ..... I found the Ruger front bead a better overall solution.

Three 44s

Doughty
11-28-2009, 09:58 AM
ole 5 hole,

I made a mount for the Tasco Optima (forerunner to the JP sight) and a Ruger Bisley 5.5 in .44 mag. Functionally it worked great, but .... it just didn't look and feel right for a packin' handgun, and I had made a really good holster for it. If this was being used as a primary hunting arm, then you might be happy. But for me, as a secondary hunting arm, and an all day carrying gun, it just seemed too awkward. Also made a mount for the N frame with the same results.

yondering
12-15-2009, 02:53 PM
arcticbreeze, how long did it take to receive your sights from One Ragged Hole? ghh3rd, did you receive yours yet? I ordered a set back in November, and haven't seen them yet. I sent an email, with no response yet to that either. Planning to call them today.
Just curious if others experienced a long lead time on these, or if my order got lost in the mail.

arcticbreeze
12-15-2009, 08:34 PM
arcticbreeze, how long did it take to receive your sights from One Ragged Hole? ghh3rd, did you receive yours yet? I ordered a set back in November, and haven't seen them yet. I sent an email, with no response yet to that either. Planning to call them today.
Just curious if others experienced a long lead time on these, or if my order got lost in the mail.

I ordered mine back in April of this year and received them in a week.

Bert2368
12-16-2009, 11:00 AM
I'm still waiting to see the one ragged hole I ordered in October- And now you have me thinking on changeing the front sight too.

I have a 10 1/2" barrel SBH from around 1980. The front sight is soldered on, how did you go about replaceing yours?

I tried one of the red dot sights with a B-square no drill mount years ago. Took less than 50 factory rounds to destroy the sight, the whole rig and especially that no drill mount was UGLY. It worked nice though, for about 30 shots I got between sighting in and total failure.

yondering
12-16-2009, 03:17 PM
I'm thinking of getting a separate base with replacable inserts for my Blackhawk; the base will be soldered on. There are a bunch of rifle bases for 3/8" dovetail inserts that will work; then there is the Weigand base, which is more $$$.

I'm also thinking I'll try to get Paypal to cancel my order with One Ragged Hole, and order them from the other site you linked, Bert. I understand when a guy has problems, but if that other place received their order, I see no reason to wait several months for mine.

ghh3rd
12-17-2009, 10:58 PM
Yonderling - nope, never received them. I did receive them promptly from Warren Custom Outdoor. Thanks for reminding me to try to have my credit card company cancel and credit me back.

Randy