PDA

View Full Version : RCBS Mold Service

cabezaverde
05-06-2006, 04:54 PM
Has any one spoke with RCBS about getting a mold serviced? I bought a used mold, and I think the sprue plate is bent. As far as I know, RCBS doesn't have a mold repair kit like Lyman does. Will they sell parts, or does the mold have to be returned?

Bass Ackward
05-06-2006, 05:26 PM
Has any one spoke with RCBS about getting a mold serviced? I bought a used mold, and I think the sprue plate is bent. As far as I know, RCBS doesn't have a mold repair kit like Lyman does. Will they sell parts, or does the mold have to be returned?

You should call them. So far, everytime I have asked, they send parts for free.

buck1
05-06-2006, 06:05 PM
You should call them. So far, everytime I have asked, they send parts for free.
Bass is shooting straight!!..........Buck

SharpsShooter
05-06-2006, 06:20 PM
RCBS will help you out. Example: I bought a RCBS 30-170 two cavity from a friend who had picked it up at a gunshow. One of the handle retaining pins and the retaining screw had gone AWOL. I called them and explained that the mould was basically third hand so to speak,but the nice lady didn't care at all. She took my name and address, refused my offer to pay and said "They will be going out in the mail today". About 3 days later, they showed up in my mailbox. It is a small part when you look at it, but they care about the details of their product.

boogerred
05-07-2006, 01:31 AM
ive got the same problem myself.3 good moulds,2 good sprue plates,1 junk. what a PITA to swap cutters. i e-mailed rcbs today and maybe ill get lucky again. i had a 38/357 seater/crimp die and the seater plug would only screw in the body 2-21/2 rds.i e-mailed my problem and never heard back. BUT ... 4 or 5 days later i got a new die,2 seater plugs and the locknuts in the mail. FREE. and they never asked me to return the defective part.excellent service in my book.if you do e-mail, send a mould number.they have a large and small plate.

357maximum
05-07-2006, 01:47 AM
RCBS has THEEEE best customer service I have seen. While others may be good or even great in the industry they rate phenomenal in my book. They have fixed my mistakes a few times, and have resurrected second hand junk many a time. I called awhile back cause i broke a seater stem while moving stuff around the reloading room (gravity and all). No questions as to how dumb can I be or nothing, just a thank you sir, and in the mail it went. Three days later it was in the mailbox. Service like that is becoming all to rare..

Blacktail 8541
05-07-2006, 01:37 PM
I live in Oroville, home of RCBS. The people there are just as good as their customer service. They take customer service seriously with no excuses ever offered on their part. It does not matter whos' fault the problem is caused by, they want to make you happy. I've seen a lot of bone head mistakes come into their office and the responce is always the same, WE WILL TAKE CARE OF IT! Never heard of them chargeing anyone for parts or service on prior purchases.

Bucks Owin
05-07-2006, 01:52 PM
I live in Oroville, home of RCBS. The people there are just as good as their customer service. They take customer service seriously with no excuses ever offered on their part. It does not matter whos' fault the problem is caused by, they want to make you happy. I've seen a lot of bone head mistakes come into their office and the responce is always the same, WE WILL TAKE CARE OF IT! Never heard of them chargeing anyone for parts or service on prior purchases.

My Dad was of the same opinion. He used to drive down there from Redding to use Fred's chronograph way back in the early 60's when chronos weren't quite so common as they are now....

RCBS is THE best IMO!

FWIW,

Dennis

azrednek
05-07-2006, 07:10 PM
RCBS will stand behing their goods but apparently keep track of a customer's returns. An aquaintance (x-brotherin-law) I know took advantage and tried to turn it in to an Ebay cash cow. I don't know the details of the letter he recieved, he told me RCBS will no longer take anything back from him. He tried to get me to return an older rusted press for him and use my name and address. After I told him no he offered me the press if I would return a weedeater to Home Depot for him. He must have found another sucker as it wasn't long he had both brand new on Ebay along with a small cache of new Craftaman, Snap-On and Matco tools.

I had problems with a RCBS mold, called their 800#, was told to return it and they would probably send me a new plate or repair it. One side was cutting off center and I could see the difference on paper. About a week after sending it I got a brand new mold. Unless I buy used, all my new reloading equipment purchases are RCBS, the only exception I can think off in the past few years are a few new molds off of Lee's surplus list and their Factory Crimp dies.

My only fear is some day, say for instance RCBS gets consumed by a corporate giant, still stands behind their goods but starts turning out some real garbage cashing in on their good name and downgrading quality kind of like the way Craftsman Tool or Coleman Lantern co has done.

cabezaverde
05-07-2006, 07:36 PM
I agree that time could be running out on this type of service. I always tell RCBS when I call whether I obtained the item new or used. If I bought it new, I would expect them to make a problem right unless I did something boneheaded. If I bought it used, I would have no problem paying some kind of charge for parts and shipping.

I plan to tell them I bought the mold used, but based on other experience with them, they will probably take care of it gratis. I asked the question about the mold because in my mind a mistreated mold falls into a different "warranty category" than a die with a busted decapper.

onceabull
05-08-2006, 01:03 AM
Guys, if Alliant Techsystems with a 3.xx Billion $ market cap doesn't fit the desc.of a corporate giant ,what does it take..?? We have already seen comments on this board re:slipping quality in their moulds since the last takeover.. OTOH ,the buzz from Lewiston was "Thank God,a savior" as they felt like the prior owners were bleeding all the cash away. fwiw, Onceabull

NVcurmudgeon
05-08-2006, 02:01 AM
There's a lot of green on my bench, for the reason that I have very little trouble with RCBS equipment. I did have one mould get beat up in my clumsy hands, sent it back for repair, and received a new mould free. but the topper was when I sent them a letter about my old RCBS Junior press getting a little wobbly in the ram after some 50,000 rounds. I asked if I should consider replacing it, and I had my eye on a new Rockchucker. They sent me a new Reloader Special, and said the old Junior should be just about getting broken in! That was about 15 years ago. RCBS had no way of knowing if I even had a Junior. The free Reloader Special handles all my single station needs, and the old Junior is still giving good service for a friend in Montana. The only down side is that I'll probably never have a good excuse to buy a Rockchucker now!

9.3X62AL
05-08-2006, 04:41 AM
Ditto to NV Curmudgeon's text--lots of green on my bench, too--and for the same reasons as those stated herein.

Blacktail 8541
05-10-2006, 09:54 PM
I have a lot of green on my bench also, who could figure? BLOUNT had RCBS before Alliant Tech Systems and I agree they were bleeding the company, since Alliant took over things seem to be geting better.

LAH
05-13-2006, 03:13 PM
I had customers asking for the 44-250-K bullet. Purchased one. Bullet casts .428. Called them, replaced mould, made them pay shipping. New mould cast bullets with feathers. Seems the tool for cutting the vents was dull and cut them too wide. Returned mould for inspection, made them pay shipping. Customers still waiting for bullets. I tell them RCBS........big company....they're working on it.

Spoke with the shop foreman several times. Placed blame on new guy. This went on for a period of 2 months. Customers still waiting for bullets. The last mould came after being assured they would test cast before shipping (they didn't) so all would be well. The mould will barely do .430 and casts at 262 grs. Customers wanting 250 gr. bullets.

For someone such as I who wanted to give the customer what they wanted (the customers vision of a standard weight Keith) I failed. RCBS, at least at that time, could not deliver. Not to end on a sour note though, I purchased a 45-270-SAA mould that does everything it's suppose to...............Creeker

Wayne Smith
05-14-2006, 08:32 PM
Only once they didn't fix something for me. I called and told them the handle on my Jr3 press wouldn't stay up by it's self any more and was there a fix for it. The nice guy on the phone not only said that they weren't making them any more and they had no parts, but all of the Jr3's on their bench were drooping, too!

I've dreamed about another press, too. Same problem, can't justify it as long as the Jr3 still works. It's done everything I've needed it to, and done it well.

montana_charlie
05-14-2006, 10:47 PM
I, too, have a 'handle' that doesn't stand up as straight (nor for as long) as it used to. Some things just droop when they get older...
CM

Four Fingers of Death
05-14-2006, 11:11 PM
. An aquaintance (x-brotherin-law) .

What a flake! I bet you and your sister are happy that he is an ex.

Four Fingers of Death
05-14-2006, 11:18 PM
There's a lot of green on my bench, for the reason that I have very little trouble with RCBS equipment. I did have one mould get beat up in my clumsy hands, sent it back for repair, and received a new mould free. but the topper was when I sent them a letter about my old RCBS Junior press getting a little wobbly in the ram after some 50,000 rounds. I asked if I should consider replacing it, and I had my eye on a new Rockchucker. They sent me a new Reloader Special, and said the old Junior should be just about getting broken in! That was about 15 years ago. RCBS had no way of knowing if I even had a Junior. The free Reloader Special handles all my single station needs, and the old Junior is still giving good service for a friend in Montana. The only down side is that I'll probably never have a good excuse to buy a Rockchucker now!

I'm a bit biased, but my first (and current) press is a Rockchucker. I bought it new in 1981. Never missed a beat.

You gotta get one of these before you die, just for the pure grunt. They come up cheap used sometimes, but I think you'd want your own one, nothing quiet like puling that big green sucker out of the box. 25 years ago and I still remember it. It had a little card on it signed by the lady that inspeceted in. I still have that on my shelf at home. Its silly getting attached to a piece of equipment, but the Rockchucker has soul.

Buckshot
05-15-2006, 03:09 AM
Its silly getting attached to a piece of equipment, but the Rockchucker has soul.

...........Naw, I don't think it's silly to get attached to a piece of machinery that is well designed and does what it's supposed to do. I do firmly believe that it is a 'male' thing though. The female mind just isn't wired that way. My grandfather was a heavy equipment operator for the county for 43 years (dozers-graders). He'd talk about the engine like it was someone, "big ole gentle feller", like that. He loved his machines.

...............Buckshot

44woody
05-17-2006, 09:28 AM
I have a rcbs pro melt casting michine that over the years has developt a leak in it do es anybody think they could fix it and could someone please give me a phone number for RCBS please thanks for the help :castmine: 44 Woody

C A Plater
05-17-2006, 10:00 AM
Call RCBS Customer Service at 1.800.533.5000 or 1.530.533.5191 Monday through Thursday 6:30 AM - 3:00 PM PST

From the RCBS web site. FWIW, RCBS has bent over backward to help me out with a broken 1972 vintage press. Very good guys.

Rick N Bama
05-17-2006, 04:17 PM
I recently bought a new 9MM-147 mold which has a vent line right smackdab on the nose. Can't get a decent boolit to fall from it to save my life. According to the USPS, it was received by RCBS Monday. I just hope the replacement is a good one.

Rick

LAH
05-17-2006, 07:16 PM
Rick said: I recently bought a new 9MM-147 mold which has a vent line right smackdab on the nose.

Been there with those guys...................Creeker

MGySgt
05-17-2006, 09:43 PM
Its silly getting attached to a piece of equipment, but the Rockchucker has soul.

I am with Buckshot on this - it aint silly.

I have a RCIV on my bench, but when it comes to re-sizing lots of 45ACP's or 44's I swap it out for my Lyman Spartan. Still going stong after 33 years!

Drew

Rick N Bama
05-18-2006, 08:40 PM
Rick said: I recently bought a new 9MM-147 mold which has a vent line right smackdab on the nose.

Been there with those guys...................Creeker

So this is a common thing with RCBS? I have a 45-201SWC which is a great mold.

Rick

Tristan
05-18-2006, 09:25 PM
...........Naw, I don't think it's silly to get attached to a piece of machinery that is well designed and does what it's supposed to do. I do firmly believe that it is a 'male' thing though. The female mind just isn't wired that way. My grandfather was a heavy equipment operator for the county for 43 years (dozers-graders). He'd talk about the engine like it was someone, "big ole gentle feller", like that. He loved his machines.

...............Buckshot

A machine that is Right is a thing of beauty and a joy to behold!

I have a bunch of green on my bench too, and sorry to say I can't comment on their customer service policies, 'cause I've never broken anything!

My rock chucker is definately a machine that was done right!

Rick N Bama
05-26-2006, 10:52 PM
Got my replacement 9MM-147 mold in today and this is a good one. There's a vent line so close to the nose that I thought there would again be problems getting a decent boolit to fall from it, but ~100 casts later, I can find no problems with the boolits . 2 weeks almost to the day that I sent my old mold in for a replacement.

Thanks RCBS (but the other mold should have been inspected before you sent it out!)

Rick

LAH
05-27-2006, 02:18 PM
So this is a common thing with RCBS? I have a 45-201SWC which is a great mold.

Rick

I've had two RCBS Moulds with the meplat in the vent. You can't cast a good looking bullet with something like that. How common is this? I can't say. I've some good moulds from them but also some junk..........Creeker

kenjuudo
05-30-2006, 07:11 PM
Two weeks ago I sent a 30-150-FN back to RCBS that was vented too well. I sent it back stateing I had already replaced the mold and would prefer a 30-180-FN.

The new 30-180-FN arrived today, a letter mentioning the customer service representative is on it's way back to RCBS.

jim