PDA

View Full Version : Hunting with CB's

DragoonDrake
11-07-2009, 11:49 AM
I know this has been asked but I have been unable to locate the thread.

I would like to hunt with a Super 14 this season and need to work up a load. I have 240gr RNFP CB's cast with 50/50 WW/scrap, is fairly soft. What would be the lowest safe velocity for a clean kill between 50-100 yards on Ohio Whitetails? No I don't plan to run at the (s)lowest velocity, that is to sate my curiosity and to give me a starting point.

Thanks in advance,

Adam

TDC
11-07-2009, 08:41 PM
I know this has been asked but I have been unable to locate the thread.

I would like to hunt with a Super 14 this season and need to work up a load. I have 240gr RNFP CB's cast with 50/50 WW/scrap, is fairly soft. What would be the lowest safe velocity for a clean kill between 50-100 yards on Ohio Whitetails? No I don't plan to run at the (s)lowest velocity, that is to sate my curiosity and to give me a starting point.

Thanks in advance,

Adam

DragoonDrake,

The components you mention appear very good for hunting Whitetail. The boolits, weight and alloy you mention have taken many deer of all types..

I doubt you will be able to find an experienced and frequently successful deer hunter that will claim to have found a load combination that will always or even consistently give you a "clean kill" performance. There are just too many factors that can occur that prevents such a guarantee from being made.

Shot placement is critical with all hunting success, especially with cast boolits... I don't use your boolit or firearm so I wouldn't presume to recommend a load. If you have time before you go hunting you may want to try the commonly used powders like H-110, 296, 2400, IMR4227 and Unique to find an accurate load somewhere above 11/1200fps. Good luck hunting!!

JMHO