PDA

View Full Version : Lee Trimmer and drill press

skeet1
11-07-2009, 11:14 AM
I had an inquiry from Sirknight about how I use a Lee Trimmer in a drill press.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirgknight
I recently ordered Lee case trimmers for trimming my brass and was surfing several forums to get information on ideas of how different people do different things. Your post was very intriguing and I would greatly appreciate if you would explain how you are using your drill press with the cutter in the chuck. This is completely opposite of the way I'm set up. I am placing the shell holder in my drill and holding the "cutter" part in my hand. Your system seems like it would be a great time saver and would be much easier. Would you please give me details on your operation? Thank you very much. Glenn Knight

Glenn,
You need a drill press with a 1/2" chuck to start with and then chuck the the cutter and case length stem. Make sure you are running you drill press on the slowest speed.

The next thing you need is a screwdriver that uses removable bits. These bits have the same size hex stem as the Lee lock stud that holds the shell holder. now all you need to do is take your case and lock it in the shell holder and run it up on the case length stem while the drill press is running. It takes a very short time to trim a lot of cases. I hope this helps. I will try and take some photos if you need them. One more thing any screw driver with removable bits will work but the one I use is a Craftsman that is a mini driver that is only about 5" long and is seems to be handier. Ken Dahl

I took some photos and thought you all might like to see them.

sirgknight
11-07-2009, 05:46 PM
Great post, and I thank you for it. I set up my drill press and have tried this operation. I used a small bit driver to hold the stud, then screwed the case holder onto the stud and placed a newly sized casing into the holder. About half of the casings fit the gauge so snugly that I have to pull the bit driver down away from the casing. It is now stuck up on the gauge. My gauges are new, so there shouldn't be a problem with them unless they come somewhat oversized. Do I need to "brush" them down to make them a smaller diameter? Have you encountered this problem? If so, what did you do to remedy it? I really like this setup, but it would be much smoother if the casings slid easily up on the gauge to reach the cutter. Thanks for your feedback. Glenn

GP100man
11-07-2009, 06:09 PM
It`ll change with brands of brass but i did shine mine up a hair with no ill effects on revolver rounds.

rob45
11-07-2009, 06:26 PM
Great post, and I thank you for it. I set up my drill press and have tried this operation. I used a small bit driver to hold the stud, then screwed the case holder onto the stud and placed a newly sized casing into the holder. About half of the casings fit the gauge so snugly that I have to pull the bit driver down away from the casing. It is now stuck up on the gauge. My gauges are new, so there shouldn't be a problem with them unless they come somewhat oversized. Do I need to "brush" them down to make them a smaller diameter? Have you encountered this problem? If so, what did you do to remedy it? I really like this setup, but it would be much smoother if the casings slid easily up on the gauge to reach the cutter. Thanks for your feedback. Glenn

The gage is designed for a slightly tight fit; that is what keeps the cutter square to the neck.

The gage can be polished by chucking it in a drill and polishing it by using Flitz, etc. on a cloth or patch. Don't go overboard, you're not trying to drastically reduce the diameter, you just want to polish it to reduce the friction.

Sometimes using a dry neck lubricant (graphite, etc.) inside the case neck helps quite a bit.

Above all, don't overlook the obvious- make sure your drill speed is turned way down. Anything much more than 200 rpm is starting to be too fast for this type of operation, and some drill presses won't go down low enough. Remember, speed creates heat/friction, which causes the seizing.

If the above doesn't work, then check the outside diameter of the gage in relation to the inside diameter of the case neck to be sure that you don't have an actual interference fit.

crabo
11-07-2009, 06:42 PM
I took a piece of strap, drilled a hole, and welded the shell holder on the back. It makes it really easy to change out cases. I also find that I can hold the piece of strap a lot looser in my hand, so my hand does not get as tired. You hold the strap with your left hand and push up with your right. Quick and easy.

It could also be glued on with JB Weld if you do not have a welder.

After I trim the case, while still in the holder, I give it a quick inside chamfer and outside debur. A quarter twist, the case comes out and a new one goes in.

TCFAN
11-07-2009, 07:40 PM
I bought one of the Lee case trimmers when they first came out. I have been using it for years the same way that Skeet1 uses his. The only thing different that I do with mine is that I can't use a Hex driver to hold the shell holder. Mine has a round stud instead of a hex so I have always just held it by my hands.

As for the tight neck on the case length stem i don't size the case before I trim. I run the case through a decapping die and then trim........Terry

deltaenterprizes
11-07-2009, 08:02 PM
As for the tight neck on the case length stem i don't size the case before I trim. I run the case through a decapping die and then trim........Terry[/QUOTE]

Cases are trimmed after sizing, sizing is what makes them grow, that is why Dillon came up with his sizer/trimmer!

sirgknight
11-07-2009, 09:51 PM
Well, my first problem has been identified. My drill press has six speeds and the lowest RPM is 760. This must be extremely too fast for this kind of operation. 200RPM is not obtainable with my current pulleys. I'm not certain if I can change these out or not. I have a good friend who works at a big machine shop in town. Maybe he can give me some pointers on what might can be done, if anything. The only other thing that I can do is run my gauges over the "brush" wheel on my grinder to buff them down just a hair. This may give me the needed tolerance to keep the casings from getting stuck and not loose the integrity or trueness of the guage. But before I do that I'll check to see if I can change out the pulleys to get a slow RPM. Thanks everyone for some very interesting info.

kevbo
11-10-2009, 02:25 PM
Leave the drill press turned off, just use it to hold the cutter. Spin the shell holder with a power screwdriver.

Spector
11-10-2009, 03:38 PM
I have tried both......spinning the case, and spinning the cutter. I prefer spinning the case at a slower speed. I believe that gives the most accurate cut given possible tollerances. I also believe an off center flash hole is about the worst situation that hurts the squareness of the cut using either method.....Mike

sirgknight
11-10-2009, 05:48 PM
kevbo, thanks for the great tip. I've been needing a portable screwdriver anyway. That should make for a great improvement over the way I've been trimming brass. Thanks everyone for great information.