PDA

View Full Version : Magma Mold Handles---

Prince555
11-07-2009, 06:00 AM
What type of handles fit best on a Magma 2 cav. mold ?

Thanks

GabbyM
11-07-2009, 10:21 AM
RCBS handles modified to clear the sprue plate hinge bolt. You trim off one nose to clear or drill a hole in it which will break out the inside edge of the nose.
See drawing from Magma web site. http://www.magmaengineering.com/images/drawings/handcast.gif

The mold blocks must be drilled and taped for the pins. Standard RCBS pin and set screw set up would be the simplest. Requiring a drill press, vise, two sizes drill bits and the tap. Magma will sell them already drilled and tapped if you so order. From the drawing it looks like they place a roll pin in the sprue plate tab/handle for the stop pin.

Magma makes a very good mould which is a step above the hobby grade moulds. Although for use with handles it's a converted setup. I've a drawer full of them but run them in my machines.

With the sprue plate design I've wondered how it would work out to make a plate with two dowel pins set so you place the filled mold between the pins and pull the mold handle sideways to cut the sprue using the two opposing sprue plate tabs against the dowel pins. If that is clear enough to visualize. Not that a hammer wouldn't work it's just seams an attractive alternative and would be a one handed motion. Also thought of mounting plate with pins vertical on a bench leg with a tin bucket under to catch sprue sort of like an old coke bottle opener. Then if you were water dropping your bucket could be right their next to the sprue bucket. Also a cooling fan down their blowing across the mould and water bucket. Someone with a more organized mind than I could probably figure out a fairly ergonomic setup.

11-07-2009, 11:23 AM
Gabbym,
Understand your "spanner" thing with the dowels to turn the sprue. I just use a gloved hand and it works fine.

RP
11-07-2009, 12:16 PM
I used a set of lee six cav moulds handles the spruce plate stops almost in the right spot because it hits the handle. When I cast with it i just line it up by hand dont take that much time and works fine for me. You got to drill the mould and tap it also have to do alittle work on the handles took me about thiry mins to do mine.