PDA

View Full Version : Getting closer on the Marlin 62, but....

Harry O
11-06-2009, 08:24 PM
not quite there yet.

From my last post, I managed to find three boxes of jacketed bullets in three states. Seemed like a shame to shoot them after all the effort it took to get them. However, I could not buy a .30 cal carbine mould at any of the supply houses at that time. I have a Lyman 311316-GC that casts between 0.314" and 0.315". I normally size it to 0.312" for my 32-20's. It would not fit in the M-62, so I tried sizing it to 0.310". It did not fit very well, and there wasn't a whole lot of lube groove left by then, so I abandoned that idea.

Then, Midway got in a shipment of Lee moulds. I bought one of their RN-GC 120gr moulds and cast up about 600 of them. I used a Bhn 15 mix and it cast a little over 0.312". Then I added the GC, sized some to 0.310", and loaded a couple of dummies to try in the gun. They worked, so I loaded up 50 of them with 12.0gr of 2400 (compressed slightly) and small pistol Magnum primers.

Took the gun and handloads to the range today. The peepsight makes it MUCH easier for me to shoot it accurately. About 80% of the handloads fed, chambered, and ejected perfectly. About 20% had varying degrees of "stickiness" from just a little bit of extra pressure needed to it won't go, period. I decided to try 0.309" sized bullets next.

The accuracy was good and there was virtually no leading, even though this is a microgroove barrel. I have sized another 50 to 0.309" and will load up some more to test it. BTW, since my last post, I refinished the stock. The gun should have been NRA excellent (the steel still was), however, the many years in the hockshop left handling marks all over the stock. I took it off, sanded out the dents and refinished it in an original type finish. It looks like new now.

mag44uk
11-06-2009, 08:27 PM
Photos please!
Regards,
Tony

Harry O
11-06-2009, 09:25 PM
It looks a little shinier here (with the flash) than it does in real life. It has the correct peepsight, a filler in the old rear sight slot, an added sling, and extra magazines.

Harry O
11-08-2009, 09:36 PM
Tried the 0.309" bullets today. They worked. Looked equally accurate at 25 yards (maximum distance at the indoor range) and no more leading (just a few flakes on the cleaning patch). I will load up a bunch more for the outdoor range. There are solid benches there and I have sandbags to get an real accuracy test at 50, 75, and 100 yards.

part_timer
11-11-2009, 06:39 AM
Looks good, I have one in 256wm. Where did you get the extra mags from?

Harry O
11-11-2009, 01:50 PM
Numrich Gun Parts. They are NOS and are about half the price I saw them at on the gun auction sites.

http://www.e-gunparts.com/products_new.asp?CatID=11773

brian
11-16-2009, 04:57 PM
Lyman 311410 sized 0.311 works well in my m1c. just seat to cover up the gg. adjust powder charge accordingly (down)
Brian

Frank46
11-17-2009, 11:34 PM
Harry, i may have a set of redfield bases for your marlin 62. If you want them they are yours. Just give me a few days to try and find them. I had one in 30 M1 carbine
and it wouldn't chamber U.S. military ammo. Frank

Harry O
11-18-2009, 08:59 PM
Frank46: Thanks. Let me know the details by PM when you find them.

The chamber of this gun appears to be tighter than an M1 carbine. I am not surprised. The chamber of my Browning BAR Safari in 30-06 is definitely tighter than my M1 Garand. I could tell the difference while sizing them by the effort it took befor I started segregating them. I have to be careful on using Garand brass in the Safari, even after full length sizing them. I ended up getting a go/no-go gage and check every case I plan to use in the Safari. Yea, I could probably get a set of small base dies, but this works as long as I keep them separate.

I run the 30 carbine brass fully up into the die and knock it out with a hammer and a steel bar in order to get them to chamber easily in the Marlin 62. Also sized the bullets down to 0.309". Shot them last weekend and they work fine. Now, I am ready to load a bunch of them.

Newtire
11-24-2009, 12:26 AM
not quite there yet.

From my last post, I managed to find three boxes of jacketed bullets in three states. Seemed like a shame to shoot them after all the effort it took to get them. However, I could not buy a .30 cal carbine mould at any of the supply houses at that time. I have a Lyman 311316-GC that casts between 0.314" and 0.315". I normally size it to 0.312" for my 32-20's. It would not fit in the M-62, so I tried sizing it to 0.310". It did not fit very well, and there wasn't a whole lot of lube groove left by then, so I abandoned that idea.

Then, Midway got in a shipment of Lee moulds. I bought one of their RN-GC 120gr moulds and cast up about 600 of them. I used a Bhn 15 mix and it cast a little over 0.312". Then I added the GC, sized some to 0.310", and loaded a couple of dummies to try in the gun. They worked, so I loaded up 50 of them with 12.0gr of 2400 (compressed slightly) and small pistol Magnum primers.

Took the gun and handloads to the range today. The peepsight makes it MUCH easier for me to shoot it accurately. About 80% of the handloads fed, chambered, and ejected perfectly. About 20% had varying degrees of "stickiness" from just a little bit of extra pressure needed to it won't go, period. I decided to try 0.309" sized bullets next.

The accuracy was good and there was virtually no leading, even though this is a microgroove barrel. I have sized another 50 to 0.309" and will load up some more to test it. BTW, since my last post, I refinished the stock. The gun should have been NRA excellent (the steel still was), however, the many years in the hockshop left handling marks all over the stock. I took it off, sanded out the dents and refinished it in an original type finish. It looks like new now.
Hi Harry,
I use that Lee 120 gr. RN boolit in my M1 Carbine and use 8.5 gr. Blue Dot (out of the RCBS Manual) and 12.5 grains of Win 296 for the best loads. The 311359 really makes the carbine shine. 13.0 grains of H-4227 or 9.0 gr. Blue Dot worked for me.

I have one of those Marlin's in .256. It really is a nice little rig.

Harry O
11-26-2009, 08:59 PM
Thanks to Frank46. He kindly sent me a set of bases for the Marlin 62. They arrived yesterday. Last night I scrounged around the house and came up with this package.

The scope is a cheap 2-7x32 Cabela's Pine Ridge, but the optics are pretty good and I shouldn't have to worry about the recoil from a .30cal carbine damaging it. I originally got it for one of my son's guns, but he traded or sold it off before I gave it to him. With my fading eyes, this sure beats the peepsight. The rings were middle length. I might get one size smaller sometime, but this is pretty good right now.

I took it to the range this afternoon and sighted it in. Worked it out to 50 yards. Shot one group at 100 yards and it was a couple of inches lower. I think I will probably end up sighting it in at 75 yards. Then, it should be very close everywhere from 50 to 100 yards. My lead bullet load was accurate and I did not have any problems with leading, so my bullet problem is solved.

Thanks again Frank46.

Frank46
11-30-2009, 01:51 AM
Harry, they look soo much better than just sitting in a plastic baggie. And even better on your rifle. Glad you can use them. Frank

Pirate69
12-02-2009, 06:50 PM
Lyman 311410 sized 0.311 works well in my m1c. just seat to cover up the gg. adjust powder charge accordingly (down)
Brian

Brian,
The rifle that you are referring to; is it a M1C Garand? If so, I may try a few rounds in my Garand. What powder and charge have you been using?

scrapcan
12-03-2009, 01:58 PM
Pirate69,

i venture to guess he was meaning m1Carbine as the thread is on the .30 carbine case in the marlin lever gun. But I would bet you could have fun with the 311410 in 30-06 also. You may have trouble getting it to cycle on it's own, but sometimes for fun you have rack the bolt yourself.