PDA

View Full Version : New Lee production pot IV questions

rwt101
11-06-2009, 04:57 PM
I have casting for several weeks with a small 4lb Lee pot with a ladle. I ordered and received a new Lee Production Pot IV. Is there anything I should keep in mind when using the new pot? Does the die run colder because I will not be holding it over the pot when it is being filled? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Bob T:D

SP101GUY
11-06-2009, 05:23 PM
If that is how you cast before, you are in for a treat. Casting will be much easier for you now.

First, make sure that the adjustment screw is set so that flow rod is actually closed. You don't need a fresh pot of melt running everywhere to start you off.

When the pot is full to the top, the lead will flow much faster than when it is less than half full. Regardless of adjustment on the set screw.

If you fill up the pot when you are done casting, it will all melt much faster the next time you heat it up.

Make sure you run the pot hot enough that the pour spout doesn't freeze up on you. Setting 7 or higher is good.

I the spout starts to clog up, take a screw driver and spin the rod a few times. This helps to clear minor clogs.

That's all off of the top of my head, hope it helps.

AJ

GP100man
11-07-2009, 07:02 AM
I only use cleaned lead in my 10 pounder, the cleaner the lead the less problems ya gonna have .

When i d[ppered i just smelted & cast from the same pot but not with the bottom pours!!!

Shiloh
11-07-2009, 10:20 AM
I only use cleaned lead in my 10 pounder, the cleaner the lead the less problems ya gonna have .

When i d[ppered i just smelted & cast from the same pot but not with the bottom pours!!!

Just like boolit fit is king, clean lead is as well. You eliminate lots of problems in the boolits with clean, well fluxed lead.

Shiloh

imashooter2
11-07-2009, 10:33 AM

The above cannot be overstated.

Get a paper clip and unbend a leg. The stiff wire is used to clear spout clogs. You can hold it with a pair of pliers, but I have mine lashed to a short piece of dowel. It's a tool you will use semi regularly.

A pair of small vise grips clamped on the top of the valve rod helps prevent drips. Also makes it convenient to twist the rod should drips start.

rwt101
11-07-2009, 03:56 PM
Well I got to use my new Lee pot. It worked great. No surprises. Thanks for the info. It came in handy.
Bob T

Nora
11-07-2009, 04:13 PM
In stead of a paper clip, I've got a 2" hardened finishing nail in my kit to clear a frozen nozzle. What ever you decide to use dip it into the molten lead till it doesn't stick just like preheating a mold. This will not only work faster but will also prevent the possibility of freezing your clip or nail in the nozzle as well. Guess how I learned that one. :roll: If it does happen, a quick blast with a propane torch will solve the problem.

Nora

krissgreeve
11-16-2009, 12:57 AM
Hi guys,

This is Kriss, Actually I use already Well and good my new Lee pot IV. It worked great so not surprises for that because it is really so better then others. I like it and I also like to use it.

Thanks for the info.

lwknight
11-16-2009, 03:22 AM
I like my Lee 20 pounder that actually holds only about 15 pounds running over.
I drop in an ingot every few trips with the 6 cavity mold to keep the level about the same and have to watch the temp. It will climb high when I'm not adding fast enough and with the setting lower it recovers too slowly if I add ingots.
A thermometer was the cats meow I thought till I riggged up a PID temp controller.
Now thats the kitty's purr!

truckmsl
11-16-2009, 06:03 PM
The above cannot be overstated.

A pair of small vise grips clamped on the top of the valve rod helps prevent drips. Also makes it convenient to twist the rod should drips start.

this is absolutely the best way to deal with the drip issue IMHO.

lwknight
11-18-2009, 03:35 AM
My old Lee pot had a needle valve in it and I don't remember much dripping unless some crud got in the orafice.
My new Lee pot has a ball looking tip on the rod. I just knock the drip off as I put the mold under it. The little dripper makes a stalagmite under the spout.
I have an extra pair of small needle nose vise grips.
I will give that a try.

nonferrous
11-19-2009, 12:17 AM
I just posted a note on this forum about a small prevent item on that pot, you might want to take a look at that. Also you won't regret buying a lead thermometer, mine works best if I keep it at 700 degrees.