PDA

View Full Version : " Bubba " at it again........

Ben
11-06-2009, 04:56 PM
Someone sent me these photos, no information with the photos.....looks like " Bubba " didn't know quite as much about reloading as he thought he did..............

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/767-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/789.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/790.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/Untitled-1.jpg

OutHuntn84
11-06-2009, 05:05 PM
Why is it that any time a gun blows it is because of another "dumb_ _ _ reloader" My uncle had a brand new remington blow up in his face using factory ammo. Remington attomaticly claimed he was using reloads and thats why the gun blew. Proven otherwise in court. Bought a pistol from Taurus take it out fails factory ammo and it fails to fire, send it in, they say they fixed it and it broke because I was using reloads, this is repeated 3 times. grrrrr I hate that crapola!

What ever the issue, I sure do feel sorry for Bubba!

Ben
11-06-2009, 05:09 PM
I don't think that 2.8 grs. of Bullseye did all that damage ! !

2ndAmendmentNut
11-06-2009, 05:10 PM
Wow! Thank you Ben, a picture really is worth a 1000 words. This one is probably worth at least 10,000.

I think there should be a sticky with pictures of blown up guns, so that beginner and experienced reloaders can see not to take reloading lightly.

badge176
11-06-2009, 05:17 PM
Don't have any photos but saw the results of a .40S&W 165 FMJ load blowing apart a S&W 4013 TSW as was issued by my work! The top of the barrel blew and the side of the slide peeled back like an Elmer Fudd shotgun! (you know, the one Buggs Bunny stuffed a carrot into!) That Officer suffered minor cuts to shooting hand and severly shaken resolve. I recall that Federal sent out a team to investigate.

There was no way that was a reload issue since we only use "fresh box" factory loads and gun was part of medium-sized fleet with lots of round count too.

Everybody can make a mistake and all systems have flaws, and all machines eventually malfunction, its only our hope and intention as reloaders/ handloaders ('cause there is a difference) to minimize the likelihood that one of those mistakes/ failures/ malfunctions happens to us. I'd rather spend the time to proceed with caution and catch a near miss than barge full-on into a catestrophic error when it comes to reloading/ handloading and casting!

Shiloh
11-06-2009, 07:09 PM
Why is it that any time a gun blows it is because of another "dumb_ _ _ reloader" My uncle had a brand new remington blow up in his face using factory ammo. Remington attomaticly claimed he was using reloads and thats why the gun blew. Proven otherwise in court. Bought a pistol from Taurus take it out fails factory ammo and it fails to fire, send it in, they say they fixed it and it broke because I was using reloads, this is repeated 3 times. grrrrr I hate that crapola!

What ever the issue, I sure do feel sorry for Bubba!

Your right.

It could be factory ammo. Your uncles was. There are however, a LOT more KaBoomed firearms do to faulty reloads than factory ammo.

Shiloh

Landric
11-06-2009, 07:15 PM
I think it was clearly the internal lock that caused the explosion! :)

OutHuntn84
11-06-2009, 07:45 PM
''It could be factory ammo. Your uncles was. There are however, a LOT more KaBoomed firearms do to faulty reloads than factory ammo.''

Yea I know it just hits me sideways. talk to the uninformed and they think reloading is crazy because everyone of em knows someone that knows someone whose gun blew up because of a reload. To me when people act like that it feels like an insult to what I consider an art that strives for perfection.

Shiloh
11-06-2009, 08:35 PM
Reloading precision rounds is an art and a technique. WHy load if not to produce the best ammo you can make?

I'm one of those who blew up a .40 Glock... Twice. I attribute this to the polygonal barrel with commercial lead boolits as well as the unsupported Glock chamber.

Shiloh

Never had a problem with the aftermarket barrel.

Rick N Bama
11-06-2009, 09:40 PM
A fellow I USED to shoot with has blown up 3 handguns with his handloads. At least 3 is all I know about & that was some 5 years ago. No, I don't shoot with him any more:)

Rick

lathesmith
11-06-2009, 11:05 PM
So, how the heck did "Bubba" manage to blow more than one round at once? What, did he get a "chainfire" from his reloads? Wow, that's quite a trick!
lathesmith

bruce drake
11-06-2009, 11:20 PM
More like 40gr of Bullseye probably!

Heavy lead
11-06-2009, 11:21 PM
Maybe he just wanted an open top revolver.

Buckshot
11-07-2009, 12:28 AM
So, how the heck did "Bubba" manage to blow more than one round at once? What, did he get a "chainfire" from his reloads? Wow, that's quite a trick!
lathesmith

...............I imagine the chamber that's supposed to be aligned with the barrel contained the round that blew. Those on either side didnt blow up but had their adjacient metal removed by the chamber that DID blow up.

............Buckshot

bubba.50
11-07-2009, 12:37 AM
hey, wait a minute! how come i always get the blame for everybody's dumbness?

stubshaft
11-07-2009, 12:44 AM
hey, wait a minute! how come i always get the blame for everybody's dumbness?

Wasn't you! It was bubba blowed up.:groner:

lathesmith
11-07-2009, 10:42 AM
Maybe he just wanted an open top revolver.

Now that's too funny. He's sure got one now! Guess all he's gotta do now is swap in another cylinder and...back to the range! So that's why Sam Colt never did include that pesky top strap in any of his designs;I had always wondered about that...
lathesmith

waksupi
11-07-2009, 12:29 PM
Bubba's occur among muzzleloading enthusiasts, too. I'm not sure if this one was fired without having the ball fully seated, or if the wrong powder was used. Notice the powder horn also exploded.
Tony, from Mountain Top Traders who is holding the remains, wasn't the shooter.

Storydude
11-07-2009, 12:47 PM
I'm actually amazed at just how LITTLE metal actually contains the pressures in a Revolver's Cylinder.....

Bucks Owin
11-09-2009, 03:20 PM
Here's one "caught in the act". Cool photo! http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a356/BucksOwin/blowup.jpg

9.3X62AL
11-09-2009, 03:41 PM
All these photos about give me the fantods. That last one was pretty cool, but still causes a chill up and down my spine. So far--KNOCK ON WOOD--I have not caused catastrophic damage to a firearm. Photos like these come to mind every time I sit down to assemble ammunition.

docone31
11-09-2009, 03:49 PM
I have in the back of my mind, a barrel of a Ruger Super Blackhawk with five jacketed bullets in the barrel. The barrel had been cut in half lengthwise. From what the story told, the first load made a funny popping sound, the rest never hit the target!
Low time reloader.
They were all mashed into each other.
A testimonial to the Super Blackhawk, a duh to the reloader.

Bucks Owin
11-09-2009, 03:51 PM
Photos like these come to mind every time I sit down to assemble ammunition.

And that's a "good thing". Happily, I've never got past the "sticky case" stage and wouldn't want to either! :drinks:

Johnch
11-09-2009, 09:57 PM
We had a guy at the clun Sub'ed BullsEye for 2400 in a 44 mag load

He ruined a 7.5" Redhawlk with 1 pull of the trigger

And then complained that Ruger wouldn't replace his pistol for free
As Ruger offered him a new gun a Wholesale price

A fool is born every day
I just hope I am nowwhere close to them when they blow up their guns

John

Mike Venturino
11-09-2009, 10:18 PM
Bucks Owlin: Got any information on that photo with the revolver letting go in the machine rest? I'd love to know what's going on there.

Mike V.

docone31
11-09-2009, 10:54 PM
I watched a guy at the range with a brand new freshly built, custom rifle.
His smith had built the rifle, and he was breaking it in with brand new reloads.
A beautiful rifle. However, it shot badly. Each shot got wilder and wilder. His bolt got harder and harder to open. He had to slam the bolt open with his hand, gradually hitting the bolt with a piece of wood he kept in his range pack.
I never saw what happened, or saw him again. I have no idea what the outcome was.
I think he was running a little hot. His primers were FLAT, nice shiney bands on the brass, good pronounced craters. When you dropped a fired cast, they "tinkled" when they hit the ground.
I hope he checked his load data.

Uncle Grinch
11-09-2009, 11:10 PM
Some people never learn or can't be taught!

I was talking shooting with a friend where he works and he told me about one of his co-workers who has someone else reload for his Rem 700 in 7mm RUM. The guy claims 4011 fps with 160 grain bullet and 103 grains of Retumbo.

While we were talking the guy walked by and my friend told him to tell me about his "hot load". He told me the same story and even noted his primers were falling out, but that didn't really seem to concern him. He was really thrilled about his 4011 fps and said his Rem 700 with it's 3 rings of steel could hold it.

Since this guy was fairly young, 30-35 I'd guess, I got real serious about the extreme risk he was taking and how dangerous it was. He listened and then showed me a photo on his cell phone of a deer he had shot. The shoulder, what was left of it, looked like it had an 8 to 10 inch hole blasted into it. The shoulder bone was gone altogether.

I'm afraid I did not convince him of the dangers he is tempting.

**Sorry for the hijacked thread... I couldn't help myself.**

Ben
11-09-2009, 11:22 PM
When that thing blows, he will look worse than the deer.

Some people simply won't listen !

Heavy lead
11-09-2009, 11:25 PM
yup, not a matter of if, but when, then of course it will be Remingtons fault

Bucks Owin
11-10-2009, 12:59 PM
Bucks Owlin: Got any information on that photo with the revolver letting go in the machine rest? I'd love to know what's going on there.

Mike V. Mike, I'm sorry I don't. I saved that photo years ago from somewhere 'cause it was so cool. My memory is pretty good, just short I'm afraid! It's an obviously staged blowup, who did it I don't know...Dennis