PDA

View Full Version : Musings of my first week at work

redneckdan
05-05-2006, 09:33 PM
Well, its friday and I got my first week of summer employment under my belt. I'm working for the university apartments doing building and grounds maintenance. A high percentage of the works a foriegn students at the university, I'd say at least 80% Just somethings I've noticed over the week.

-The oriental students, though overall having the least english comprehension and speaking abilities, are by far the hardest working. I had Xing, one of the guys on my crew, clean the exhuast fans in the kitchen. I have never seen somebody get a greasy fan blade that clean with just a scrub pad and ajax. though I have to show them how to do just about everything, they pick up quick and do great work.

-The indian students are not worth the ground they stand on. I constantly had to prod them to get them to move. If you have more then one of them in a crew they will just sit around and jabber in their native language and smoke cigarettes. their english comprehension and speaking are adequate but they just don't want to work. they expect a hand out.

-Just cause somebody says they know how to drive a backhoe, doesn't mean they really know how to. One of the guys got a bent nose cause he's never been allowed to operate the 530, hes a 3rd year employee and I am a first year employee and got to operate on my 4th day of work. He got his chance today and put the back hoe on its roof after about 30 minutes. :roll:

Jack Stanley
05-06-2006, 10:19 PM
I'm not surprised . I've seen a lot of knuckleheads that say they know all about whatever subject I mention . When questioning them about simple things , it's real easy to see their ignorance .

Jack

shooter575
05-07-2006, 10:46 PM
Dan,as a long time plant employee [mech maint] of another Michigan U.Welcome to my world! Luckly I do not have to deal with undergrads or student housing.But some of the building adm and props are a pain.They think that their 2 deg off heat or cooling is more important than another building with a whole unit down.
They suffer from delusions of grandeur.I have been here long enough that I can get away with telling them where they fit in into my schedule of events.
One other thing,Beware of drivers that wear any type of rag on their head.They will kill ya!