PDA

View Full Version : Smelting cooker Questions, before I buy.

Muddy Creek Sam
11-06-2009, 11:16 AM
Well I searched the place and can't find the old burner, Haven't seen it in about 8 years. So need to get one, and want to ask a few things before I buy. I have a 6 qt Cast Dutch oven, should hold a good bit.

How many BTU's is enough, Can the burner be used for cooking after using it to smelt, and are some of the Turkey Fryers to light to hold the pot if it has 100 lbs or so of lead?

Thanks,

Sam :D

Bob J
11-06-2009, 11:23 AM
Hi Sam.... I use a turkey fryer base to hold approximately 50 pounds of smelt at a time and it seems to do pretty well.... Puts out plenty of BTU's but I also know guys who smelt on a coleman stove so I don't think any reasonable cooking stove/burner will be a problem in that regard.... My fryer is built pretty strong so would not hesitate to go with more weight up to what you are looking at...

I use the base to cook with as well and don't see much of a problem... The base doesn't actually come in contact with anything I would be eating and I usually smelt and cook at a temperature below the point where lead would be a significant vapor... As for all the **** that is usually burned off during my smelting it tends to be carried well away from the burner so don't think that would be an issue either...

Digger
11-06-2009, 11:40 AM
Very happy with the one I use, Wally World , ..King kooker.., advertised 58,ooo btu's , some would say u need more but works for me as i can have my pot full of clip ons down to scooping out the clips in 35 to 40 min.
Very stable and dismantle to put away later. My home made pot holds 200 lbs +_
They sell it online only , will deliver to store near you.
If it helps , have pics in the casting equip. section under the thread , Always learning...
One of the many fryers out there to choose from.
..digger

bigboredad
11-06-2009, 12:53 PM
Waly world is where I bought mine they called it a fish fryer it is supposed to put 60,000 btu's I only turn it on about a third of the way to keep the temp down so as not to melt zinc but turned all the way up it will melt 50 lbs. in about 10 minutes

twotoescharlie
11-06-2009, 01:20 PM
be sure it has a high pressure burner, some do not.

TTC

Digger
11-06-2009, 01:22 PM
Very happy with the one I use, Wally World , ..King kooker.., advertised 58,ooo btu's , some would say u need more but works for me as i can have my pot full of clip ons down to scooping out the clips in 35 to 40 min.
Very stable and dismantle to put away later. My home made pot holds 200 lbs +_
They sell it online only , will deliver to store near you.
If it helps , have pics in the casting equip. section under the thread , Always learning...
One of the many fryers out there to choose from.
..digger

Did I mention it has FOUR !!!! legs....
digger

John Boy
11-06-2009, 09:36 PM
Sam, just buy one of these ... http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=91037
It will melt lead faster than any cooker or cast iron burner putting out 35,000 BTUs