PDA

View Full Version : Need help with cast bullet load in K98

ripper90
11-06-2009, 10:02 AM
I am new to cast bullet shooting and don't know what is wrong with this load. I bought some gas checked 220 gr bullets for my K98. I loaded them with 13 grains of Unique, the bullets were seated with the gas check well below the neck due to their long length. I went to the range and could not hit the target at 50 yds so I started walking closer, at about 35 yds I got a hit on target but the bullet hit flat. I also experienced blow back in my face on a couple of these loads, glad I had on eye protection. I had not heard of the standard load of 16 grs of 2400 at the time I loaded these. What is my problem or problems???
Thanks John

mike in co
11-06-2009, 10:30 AM
the 220's are not much of a plinking load in my opinion.
cast boolits require proper sizing do do well, which means you must check your bore size by slugging the bore.

the 220 probably did not have enough velocity to stabilize.

to get the velocity with unigue, your pressure will be up over 35,000 psi......no longer a plinking load with a 220 gr boolit.

try a 175 with a .325 dia......

mike in co

dromia
11-06-2009, 10:56 AM
As Mike has said, you need to check your boolit size and fit to Chamber/throat and groove.

Once you've got that fettled then you can take your loads from there.

Blow back indicatesinsufficient pressure to obdurate the case so its like the load needs upping, a slower powder like 2400 or Rel 7 could work better with this boolit. That will up your velocity and the success of that comes back to boolit fit.

So a lighter boolit would be worth considering.

Whatever weight boolit you use make sure that it fits your rifle.

badgeredd
11-06-2009, 10:58 AM
I am new to cast bullet shooting and don't know what is wrong with this load. I bought some gas checked 220 gr bullets for my K98. What diameter are they sized to? I loaded them with 13 grains of Unique, the bullets were seated with the gas check well below the neck due to their long length. Load them as long as you can and still function through the magazine. I went to the range and could not hit the target at 50 yds so I started walking closer, at about 35 yds I got a hit on target but the bullet hit flat. Too slow to stabilize would be my guess. I also experienced blow back in my face on a couple of these loads, glad I had on eye protection.Not enough pressure to seal the case. I had not heard of the standard load of 16 grs of 2400 at the time I loaded these. 2400 would be a better powder...or even a slower powder to get the pressure and velocity you need. What is my problem or problems??? Have you slugged the bore?
Thanks John

I concur with "Mike in CO" about the boolit not being a good choice for a plinker. The long boolit is designed for military actions with long throats...and therefore needs to be loaded as long as you can load it. You should be able to load with H4198 and get at least 1800 fps second and I'd suspect your stability issues will go away. For a plinker, I'd suggest a boolit, like Mike did, of lesser weight and length.

On the slugging the barrel, I have a K98 that slugged at .327 so it is obvious that a bigger boolit is needed in my case.

Hope this helps you.

Edd

jonk
11-09-2009, 12:02 PM
I have found that about 28 gr of 4895 is a good load, with filler, using a 220 grain bullet.

I've tried this in several guns. It isn't necissarily the best in all but ok in at least all as a start point.

I'm surprised you have to seat so deeply though. I have a mold in this weight range and find that the throat on all 3 of my 98ks, an M48A, M24, 24/47, and several long rifles will swallow it even if loaded out just enough to hold the bullet. Some are like new guns otherwise..just have a long throat. I do have some guns with abrupt throats where this won't work, but a 98k isn't one of htem.

In any case, in 90% of my guns, a 175 grain bullet shoots better than the heavy job.