PDA

View Full Version : Henry for .22 Silhouette?

crabo
11-06-2009, 01:39 AM
I 've got a friend who was asking me about getting an Henry so he could shoot lever action 22 silhouette with me. I told him I hadn't seen any of the big boys shooting one, but I did not know how accurate they were.

Anyone have any input on this?

Idaho Sharpshooter
11-06-2009, 02:29 AM
I have yet to see one at our matches either. They have the feel of more of a kid rifle than one for an adult or a lot of use. There's a reason those M39's bring a premium.

Rich

Jon K
11-06-2009, 04:21 AM
It will shoot very accurate........with the right ammo. This is typical of any .22.

I had a Henry Golden Boy, that loved Wolf Match Extra.
I sold it because it had too much drop in the comb, and just didn't fit me. The Frontier Model w/Oct barrel doesn't have as much of a drop, although i can't say how they shoot. There is a couple of shooters using them at the local match.

I think most shy away from them because of the die-cast reciever and housing.

Jon

NickSS
11-06-2009, 05:19 AM
I have not owned one but did have an oportunity to shoot one with a octagon barrel which had a Marbles tang sight on it. I believe I was using wolf match ammo and it shot really well. I cleaned the pigs at 100 yards and shot a 26 for 40 targets. This was a personal high for me and not bad considering I only hit two chickens.

rhead
11-06-2009, 05:52 AM
I own a Henry youth levergun, M 39 a Mountie, a Browning blr22 and a Winchester 9422. The Henry and the Winchester are neck and neck for the most accurate, But none of the 4 stand out as being a lot better than the other three.

The difference is typically the Browning and the Marlin will give 5 out of 10 sub 3/8 inch groups. The Henry and the Winchester will give 7 out of 10. All groups are from a rest at 25 yards with aperture sights. At 50 yards my eyesight is the limiting factor and all 4 seem to be equal. In each rifle the groups were shot with whatever the rifle has shown to favor.

This is not enough data for a truly informed opinion but with any of them you will have a very good chance of getting a fine shooter. I have no data on the cause of the difference. It may well be that it is harder for ME to maintain a proper sight picture or trigger pull due to some physical missfit with that rifle.

For "Walking in the woods, armed" I prefer the Henry for weight reasons.

six_gun
11-06-2009, 12:57 PM
I have several friends who own Henrys and use them for Small bore Cowboy rifle silhouette. None of them have done very good with them but it might be the shooter. For the money I would go with the Marlin 39a. I see lots of them at matches and the guys that shoot them are always scoring in the top ranks.

For what its worth, I shoot a Marlin Mountie. I have won 2 state championships, completed my Grand Slam(#10) and shot numerous 40/40 scores in practice matches with mine. I got my Mountie in a pawn shop for $235.

Sixgun

fecmech
11-07-2009, 01:43 PM
I think the Henry .22's would do just fine in Silhouette. They are every bit as accurate as Marlin 39 A's and have decent out of the box triggers (unlike New Marlins!). The Henry trigger is easy to lighten by simply polishing and if you are knowledgeable it's easy to get a creep free 2 lb. trigger.
Here is a 50 yd group from my 16" Henry carbine.

Whit Spurzon
11-07-2009, 09:15 PM
I don't own a Henry but have friends that have them. They do just fine in the matches.

John Boy
11-07-2009, 09:42 PM
Retrofit the Henry Yellowboy with a vernier or a Marble's peep sight. Then put a butt stock pad on it to raise the comb. One will have a very accurate lever for SB steel