PDA

View Full Version : Cast Boolit Hardnes ? ?

03lover
11-06-2009, 01:30 AM
I need some help finding the best boolit hardness for a number of handgun and rifle cast boolit loads. The hardness is measured by the Brinnell scale. I have two hardness testers, but need to know what I should work toward for low, mid-range and higher speed loads.

I have seen reference to the bullet hardness that is considered best for different handgun and rifle loading. Once I saw a nice chart that listed the different velocities and pressures along with the boolit hardness required to perform well at the various velocities and pressures without leading the bore and able to give good accuracy.

Well, when I would like to refer to such a chart, I can't find it

I realize the boolit lube is part of the issue when it comes to leading. I don't have an issue with the lube. I want to cast to the best hardness for my loads also.

captaint
11-06-2009, 01:39 AM
03 - Go up about 5 threads in this section. "Definitive answers, lead & alloys" something like that. Boolit fit is huge in preventing leading also. Maybe most important. enjoy Mike

John Boy
11-06-2009, 09:42 PM
Read 'How Hard Do We Need Our Bullets' ... http://www.lasc.us/HeatTreat.htm

largom
11-06-2009, 10:15 PM
IMO boolit hardness has a lesser importance than boolit fit, condition of your bore, and velocity. This is what I have found in my RIFLES anyway. My alloy hardness runs about 11 BHN and I shoot at velocities up to 2200 fps, but usually between 1800-2000 fps. My bores are lapped and my boolits fit well. I use Felix lube and seldom have any leading.

Larry

stubshaft
11-07-2009, 12:18 AM
IMO boolit hardness has a lesser importance than boolit fit, condition of your bore, and velocity. This is what I have found in my RIFLES anyway. My alloy hardness runs about 11 BHN and I shoot at velocities up to 2200 fps, but usually between 1800-2000 fps. My bores are lapped and my boolits fit well. I use Felix lube and seldom have any leading.

Larry

I have gone over to the dark side and reduced the hardness of the boolits that I shoot. I found that I have less leading issues. Boolit fit is the same but I have become a believer in the need for the boolit to obturate and allow the loob to take a more active role. I have switched from pure Lino to Hardball or lower alloys with BHN of 14.

runfiverun
11-07-2009, 12:47 PM
14 holy cow my rifle boolits are only 16.
my magnum levergun and revolver alloys are more like 1 tin and 3 or under antimony. air cooled.
all but one revolver/lever molds are plain based and are pushed up to 1600 fps.
ww's cut with 25% pure works plenty and strap on weights 50-50 with clip ons is enough for general loads like the 19 grs 2400 and 8-9 grs unique. etc...
if you want hard from soft ,waterdrop or heat treat or h/t and back temper.