PDA

View Full Version : "MC & "AL" Wheel Weights???

JIMinPHX
11-06-2009, 01:19 AM
I recently came into about 20 pounds of WW from a local shop (hey, beggars can't be choosers. I'll take 20# if I can get it & be happy that I found that much these days).

I found the usual assortment of Zinc & steel weights in the mix, but I also found a large percentage of weights that were marked either MC or AL. They all seemed to have some kind of silver paint or coating on them. They seemed harder than normal clip on WW, but most were not as hard or brittle as zinc.

Has anyone else run into these before? If so, how did you handle them? Did they give you any trouble? Did they cast well? I'd like to get some feedback before I go & contaminate my casting pot.

Thanks,
Jim

hornsurgeon
11-06-2009, 01:22 AM
they are just painted. they will stink when smelted, but i use them just as normal ww.

cbrick
11-06-2009, 02:49 AM
Jim, what I do with weights that I have doubts about is snip them with wire cutters, if they don't have a feel very close to that of known lead WW I toss'em. The last weights I came across with "AL" on them didn't "cut" anything like the lead ones and out they went. I don't know what the letters stand for and yours may be fine, I get kinda anal about what goes into my ingots.

A lot of weights are painted to match the rim color of the wheels they were on so paint doesn't mean much, cept the aroma of burning paint of course.

Rick

phaessler
11-06-2009, 06:44 AM
The letters MC and AL stand for the "wheel type" they are made to fit on, rim lip design. The coating is to prevent oxidation of the wheel/lead or zinc interface. Never know whats in them when they are coated.

Pete

runfiverun
11-06-2009, 07:22 AM
Aluminum or mag composite.
Rim types.

GP100man
11-06-2009, 07:50 AM
zinc WW are usually marked Zn or Z or nuttin at all & can`t be cut just scratched on the edges with normal side cutters & hand pressure,

stik on zinc WW are usually connected by wire instead of notches on the lead ones .

my exp only! YMMV

The painted ones are higher in tin so the paint will stik, I seperated a batch once & got purty filled out easy & shiney boolits!!!

sheepdog
11-06-2009, 11:28 AM
Thems is all lead. AL MC AC etc are shape types, nothing to do with composition.

Bloodman14
11-06-2009, 01:15 PM
Run a smooth file over one edge; you'll find out the difference REAL fast!

Bill*
11-06-2009, 01:49 PM
Sheepdog; Yes, that is code for rim type. But I wouldn't assume they are all lead as everyone seems to be getting away from lead and I see no reason the mfgr might not use a different alloy for those types also. Just a thought, don't wanna seem to be nit-pickin'. respectfully.....Bill

sheepdog
11-06-2009, 02:55 PM
Sheepdog; Yes, that is code for rim type. But I wouldn't assume they are all lead as everyone seems to be getting away from lead and I see no reason the mfgr might not use a different alloy for those types also. Just a thought, don't wanna seem to be nit-pickin'. respectfully.....Bill

Assume? No. Know for sure because I recognize that manufactures weights? Yes.

Those are Bada Aluma-Guard Coated ALCMCs. Bada only makes lead and steel, no zinc.

http://partners.ammcoats.com/docman/viewFile.asp?sParm=bemmi-t

mold maker
11-06-2009, 03:03 PM
Painted weights are epoxy coated, and it makes their surface harder. I have not found any painted zinc weights. I am finding a lot more zinc stick on and clip on.
Don't be surprised to find mixed alloy weights in the near future as the switch to all non lead gets closer.
It's a good thing you can't make WWs out of PC/BS. There sure is a lot of that around.

sheepdog
11-06-2009, 03:07 PM
A friend on this board that works with Environmental/Renewables says the tree huggers will soon be up in arms about zinc weights too as zinc in other applications has set off environmental red flags. How ironic.

DLCTEX
11-06-2009, 05:11 PM
So far all of the painted ones I have encountered have been regular ww metal and have caused no problems in casting. With all the anti-lead hype all bets are off, so I test them with cutters before tossing them into the melt.If they can be cut, in they go.

Bill*
11-06-2009, 07:54 PM
Sheepdog: I stand corrected (and politely/nicely,thank you) and appreciate the info

Dennis Eugene
11-06-2009, 11:53 PM
hey those are junk don't use them. Send them to me for disposal ASAP. Dennis

Bob Krack
11-07-2009, 11:52 AM
"MC" is a manufacturer by the name of Micro and "AL" is a manufacturer by the name of American Lead. Both are usually fine. No idea about "AL-MC"

Many weights are painted causing no problem other than the smell and possible noxious smoke.

Bob

JIMinPHX
11-07-2009, 09:36 PM
hey those are junk don't use them. Send them to me for disposal ASAP. Dennis

If they're such junk, do you think that they are worth the shipping charges?:bigsmyl2:

Seriously though,
Thank you all for the information. I never messed with this particular variety of WW before & I was concerned that the coating might contain zinc or some other junk that might cause trouble.

Thanks again for all the responses,
Jim

:cbpour:

Baryngyl
11-06-2018, 02:53 AM
This gives a lot of info about wheel weights but still not everything I would want to know for melting them, just ran across this while looking up info on what wheel weights to buy new to do my own tire balancing, is it weird that most of the top 10 search results lead to bullet casting websites, LOL.
https://www.lawsonproducts.com/pdfs/PIRAT_Wheel_Weights_PI.pdf

lightman
11-06-2018, 09:27 AM
This gives a lot of info about wheel weights but still not everything I would want to know for melting them, just ran across this while looking up info on what wheel weights to buy new to do my own tire balancing, is it weird that most of the top 10 search results lead to bullet casting websites, LOL.
https://www.lawsonproducts.com/pdfs/PIRAT_Wheel_Weights_PI.pdf

BNE, a member here has access to an XFR tester and has posted a series of test that have been made into stickies. I'm was amazed and quite pleased to see how consistent the alloy is. His post are well worth the time to read and he is a great guy too!

6mm win lee
11-06-2018, 11:20 AM
One thing for certain, keep your heat just above the lead melting point and the zinc will float on the molten lead and not screw up the melt. It works!

I wonder where I learned that? Oh yeah. Right here on cast boolits.

44magLeo
11-12-2018, 05:56 PM
I know this is a bit off subject, but I don't use clip on weights for tire balancing. I use Dyna Beads Check them out at www.innovativebalancing.com
I have used these in my tires for 5 or so years. My motorcycles, cars trucks, trailers, any tire that goes down the highway.
They work very well.
Leo

jsizemore
11-12-2018, 07:26 PM
I know this is a bit off subject, but I don't use clip on weights for tire balancing. I use Dyna Beads Check them out at www.innovativebalancing.com
I have used these in my tires for 5 or so years. My motorcycles, cars trucks, trailers, any tire that goes down the highway.
They work very well.
Leo

How do they cast?

MyFlatline
11-12-2018, 08:23 PM
One thing for certain, keep your heat just above the lead melting point and the zinc will float on the molten lead and not screw up the melt. It works!

I wonder where I learned that? Oh yeah. Right here on cast boolits.

Yep, me too. Have never forgot it either.

Schreck5
11-12-2018, 09:16 PM
Yep, me too. Have never forgot it either.

Yep, me three. I call them "floaters"��