PDA

View Full Version : Price check and opinion on Henry big-boy, 44 mag

NoZombies
11-05-2009, 09:20 PM
I've not had any experience with the Henry big-boy in .44 mag, and was wondering if anybody could share theirs...

A local shop has one that's new, but has shelf wear from being in stock for a year or more, and getting handled a lot. I can't afford one right now, but should have a bonus check next month, and thinking I might like a .44 mag lever. What's a fair price for one of these?

Idaho Sharpshooter
11-05-2009, 10:43 PM
tube feed is low brow, hard to do fighting Zombies...

What is the signature block about, a game site?

Rich

NoZombies
11-05-2009, 10:59 PM
Saw the tube feed, and wondered about that, any experience with 'em?

The sig site is about surviving SHTF situations, it does have some game/ movie disussion in the forum, and a little humor, but the basics are there for survival.

Four Fingers of Death
11-06-2009, 07:45 AM
Seems all of the ones I've seen, pick a reasonable price and add about 50-75%. They don't give them away. They are supposed to be stout and smooth, but they are sure heavy. I think you could buy two Rossis for the price. It and the Marlin are made in America which is a plus for you. They are probably a good rifle, sure are plug ugly though.

Four Fingers of Death
11-06-2009, 07:45 AM
What is the twist rate?

rugerman1
11-06-2009, 08:16 AM
1:38rh rate of twist (http://www.henryrepeating.com/h006_bigboy.cfm)

August
11-06-2009, 11:23 AM
Seems like every month, someone shows up at a cowboy match with one of those Henry rifles.

The person always looks very proud, like they are in possession of a valuable and dear object. The ubiquitous advertising campaign of the Henry Rifle Co. probably has a lot to do with this.

Anyhow, as the match progresses, and the rifle continually jambs and malfunctions, the shooter's smiles of pride turn to frowns of impatience and buyer's remorse.

The next time we see that fellow, he's always toting a Marlin. Which, he smiles about for a year or two.

Eventually, if he comes back enough times, he shows up with a '73 and smiles ever after.

And, so it goes....

doubs43
11-06-2009, 12:45 PM
Just my opinion but I find the Henry's to be expensive. For CB events, I'd prefer the 1894 Marlin or the Rossi Puma '92 in .44 Mag. I have the Puma '92 and it's quite accurate and smooth. The trigger is very nice too.

NoZombies
11-06-2009, 08:26 PM
I'm not sure what the other sell for, but I've never found a Marlin or a Rossi locally, and the henry is gonna be about $620 out the door, if that makes a difference...

I'll be at a gun show this weekend, maybe I'll find a better deal for another gun there.

Four Fingers of Death
11-06-2009, 11:26 PM
I don't know your prices in the states, but I'm thnking that you could order a new Marlin for that sort of money or alternatively, order a new rossi, pay a gunsmith to have it slicked and still maybe have some change for ammo.

NickSS
11-07-2009, 04:58 AM
I do not own a Henry 44 but I have handled them. My impression is that they are heavy but have a very smooth lever action. But then so do my Rossi and Marlin rifles. My favorite lever gun is a stainless 45 Colt Rossi 20 inch carbine. It is light, fast handling, accurate and a joy to carry when I am walking around. When loaded properly it is also quite powerful. Y one can generally find a Rossi or Marlin for less than Henry's typically sell for.

leadeye
11-07-2009, 09:45 AM
I own a Henry in 45lc, picked it up from one of those frustated CA shooters for a good price at a show. The are a strong action much like a Marlin so don't let the brass fool you. Very heavy, but I find that makes for a steady shot. Mine likes RF style boolits, I use the 300 grain Lee. The tube magazine is a little clumsy to load compared to a sidegate. Accuracy is as good as my Marlins.:-D

saz
11-07-2009, 02:22 PM
I have never shot a Henry, but I really do like the nostalgia of a henry rifle and from the ones I have seen they seem to be a solid little levergun.

Now I am not a complete rookie when it comes to leverguns but compared to mine (mid 60's 336 in 30-30, puma 92 454, and an 1895 marlin in 40-65 manf. 1900 ish) the few 1894 marlins I have checked out seem to cycle like the action is full of sand. Is this normal? I was pretty dissapointed when i looked at a few recently, since i thought one in 357 would be really fun. Did I just happen to pick up a couple of rejects or do they smooth out after a good cleaning and some use?

Lloyd Smale
11-07-2009, 03:04 PM
i like there .22s but there centerfire guns dont impress me. LIke was said there heavy and to me kind of phony looking. Id much rather put my money on a 92 or a copy of one.

JesterGrin_1
11-07-2009, 06:42 PM
If it is a 1 by 38 twist do not waste your time on it. Get a Puma if you wish to have a .44 or a Winchester as they have a 1 by 20 twist. But that is just my dime lol.

fecmech
11-07-2009, 09:33 PM
I've played with 3 Rossi/braztech 92 clones recently, 2 of mine and 1 of a friends. They come out of the box so/so as far as smooth but installation of a $20. spring kit makes a world of difference. If you are handy you can do the same by modifying the stock springs it's up to you. Also if you polish the hammer hook and sear you can get a really nice trigger. The only thing I don't like about the Braztech guns is the 30" twist in the .357. It's not a problem shooting full snort .357's but if you are using .38 spl's accuracy starts to go south past 50-75 yds. The bullets don't seem to have enough stabilization and start to tumble.

NoZombies
11-08-2009, 01:09 AM
I looked at one of the Rossi's today, and was impressed with how much lighter the gun was than the Henry... and the price was pretty good, so I'll probably end up with one of those if the Bonus ever gets here...

Bret4207
11-08-2009, 10:09 AM
$620. seems awfully high to me. And they are heavy and "clunky feeling" to me. My little Rossi Puma is a solid Win 92 design and feels better to me. I like the fact the Henry is USA made, but as with American autos, if you don't give the buyer what they want they won't sell.