PDA

View Full Version : stock filler

11-05-2009, 11:06 AM
i have a factory center grip xp 100 stock that i am cutting down to fit a bigger barrel. i have it cut and now want to fill it in to barrel shape and also make the forend a little wider. will auto bondo work for this?

oldhickory
11-05-2009, 11:36 AM
I don't think bondo has the strength for what you're looking for. It's a light weight filler meant to be applied in thin layers and would be far too brittle for your application.

The auto body fiberglass putty, (dark green) may work. I'm not real clear on what you're doing though, sounds like you're changing the outer contour of the stock? If so, the fiberglass filler would work, (it's a good bit thicker than bondo and will stand up to punishment and the elements a lot better).

For bedding, I like the Accuraglass gel my self from Brownells, although other brands work well also.

waksupi
11-05-2009, 11:45 AM
I would use Acragel. Bondo will not stand up. I used Bondo to alter stock patterns before cutting them on the profiler, and the Bondo would flake and crack off after a few uses. It would not stand up to any real use, let alone recoil.

stephen perry
11-08-2009, 08:59 AM
I would use JB in the barrel channel or do a full bed with Brownells acra glass. You might consider losing a laminated or plain wood for the forend widening.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR :brokenima