PDA

View Full Version : Best place to get a custom mould?

will52100
11-05-2009, 12:46 AM
I'm looking to get a custom mould made, for a reasonable price, preferably in aluminum. Something like this,
http://www.biglube.com/BulletMolds.aspx?ItemID=5357fe2d-b75b-4f72-8f4e-b72d17327741
but in 350 grain. This would be for a 1876 uberti in 45-75, rite now I can't go 10 rounds of black without fouling to where it effects accuracy. I've tried a couple differant lubes and bullet designs, none leave a good lube star at the muzzel. I've had excellent results with big lube designs on other calibers. Only trouble is this round needs a 350 grain bullet for OAL and twist rates of the rifle, though I understand Winchester made a 400+ grain bullet in this calibur to be loaded one at a time.

My though is to slightly re-design the bullet to get the wieght down to 350 grains and then maybe get a mould build. I'd prefere aluminum over steel, and definatly prefere at least a double cavity, thripple or quad would be even better, would love to get a 6 cavity Lee, but understand there having a hard time with turnaround rite now. Thought about Mountain moulds, but they won't cut the lube groves any deeper than 80% of the outside dia. of the bullet.

Any ideas?

Also anybody know how to calculate a bullet's wieght from a drawing?

Thanks,
Will

Buckshot
11-05-2009, 01:44 AM
..............Best bang for the buck on a single mould is Mountain Moulds. He does semi-custom. That means you use his online design program to design your slug. He then uses the info to create the mould. The 'Semi' part of the custom deal is that his online design program matches his machine and tooling capabilities. Oops! I see you already did the Mtn Moulds thing, sorry.

...............Buckshot

iron mule
11-06-2009, 10:06 PM
will i have a 300 grn one on the way for my 45-60 lets see how it will do if it works out ok tell you what i'll do for you== you come over cast a couple thousand and i'll let you keep a couple hundred for yourself // ain't it nice to have friends // course while you are doing the casting i'l find something else to do so i'll not get in the way
see you when you get back in
mule

montana_charlie
11-06-2009, 10:31 PM
While you're waiting for a new mould, try different lubes, and try blow tubing to keep the fouling moist.
I would be surprised if your problem is actually an underabundance of lube, considering your barrel is only 28 inches long.

The guys running around with that rifle back in 1876 didn't have any Big Lube bullets...

CM

big boar
11-06-2009, 10:38 PM
I haven't tried any other custom moldmakers so can't compare but I am really pleased with LBT. Easy to cast with and get good target results as well.

stubshaft
11-06-2009, 11:59 PM
If MM won't cut the groove deeper than why can't you make it a little longer?

markinalpine
11-07-2009, 01:06 PM
Old West advertises they make custom BPCR moulds in brass:
http://www.oldwestbulletmoulds.com/
I haven't bought any of their products, but you might e-mail or call them with your needs.
Good luck,
Mark :coffeecom

will52100
11-07-2009, 04:29 PM
Gee, thanks Mule! That's what friends are for! You get the mould in I'll have to give it a try, though I'm shooting for 350 grains.

Actualy barrel length is 22'', but after 8 quick shots accuracy starts to drop off, not too bad at first, but without a wet patch it just gets worse from there. Of course that's with no blow tubing and that's pretty rapid shots. Accuracy would still be minit of man for a while yet. Got to remember that most that carried them would do like most of use hunting, 1 or 2 shots, maybe 3 or 4 rapidly, then wait. Unless they were buffalo hunters trying to knock down as many as they could as quick as they could. I dought many of the originals were shot at the rate I shoot at.

I'm talking with Dick Dastardly and waiting on an answere from him about a modiefied 400 grain mould that he already has. If we can get the length down and the wieght down to 350 it should work.

I have been thinking of mountain moulds and just making the lube groves longer, will have to see how it works out.

Springfield Slim has a big lube design in 300 grain, and it looks good, but I'm trying for 350 if posible.

Thanks every body, and I'll try to get out your way when I get in Mule.

shooter93
11-07-2009, 10:11 PM
Lyman made a limited run of a 350 gr. boolit for the 76 45/75 a year ago or so. I see them still at gunshows and actually sold one to Masscaster here. I'm sure he'd sell you some to try and you could use the boolit to send to a mold maker. Veral at LBT can make any mold and you wouldn't go wrong with Bernie at Old West either.

John Boy
11-07-2009, 10:27 PM
DD/PRS 400 Big Lube™ 400 grain RNFP 45-70
http://www.biglube.com/BulletMolds.aspx?ItemID=5357fe2d-b75b-4f72-8f4e-b72d17327741
Will, save your money!
I own and have shot nearly every mold Dick Dastardly brokers. The bullet design for the 400gr bullet design will not shoot good groups. I have shot the bullet out to 600yds with mediocure sucess

ust buy the Lyman 457124 (385gr) mold that is a proven ogi desisign that has been around for over a 100 years. I've shot this bullet out to 500 meter rams and it is accurate in a 45-70
http://www.three-peaks.net/images/457124_385g.gif
PS: This bullet was used in Rolling Block Carbines!