PDA

View Full Version : Eddystone 1917 Enfield,

madcaster
11-05-2009, 12:24 AM
Well,I have one that has been sporterized some.Stock replaced,drilled and tapped(correctly) reciever,I think it may be a good shooter.
HOWEVER,being a guy who likes to see what can be done at times,what all would be involved in converting this to a .375 H&H Magnum?
Right now it has the issue barrel on it.
Thank you,
Jeff

MtGun44
11-05-2009, 12:31 AM
That would involve mostly increased pain in your shoulder and wallet. ;-)

:kidding:

Bill

Three44s
11-05-2009, 11:19 AM
I own a 1917 Rem and think the world of it even thought it's been sportserized some and have thought about changes such as your contemplating. Mine is not an Eddystone and wears a Winchester military barrel.

Your gun as a more original Eddystone presents one particular pitfal ....... that of a hydraulicaly screwed on barrel. I have read that these require a gunsmith to cut the barrel with a parting tool to relieve pressure right in front of the receiver.

For switching guns around I am leaning towards the modern Savage bolt guns ...... there is a whole universe of this ......... try the Savage shooters forum:

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/

If you pony up about $12 a year you can enter into the Classifieds and partake.

Enjoy

Three 44s

elk hunter
11-05-2009, 11:29 AM
Madcaster,

New barrel, reamer, longer magazine box, new magnum follower, open the bolt face and extractor, much tinkering with the rails to make it feed.

It helps to have a lathe and mill to do the work. I've done several Enfield conversions to 375 H&H and 416 Rigby. I recommend you build a fixture to hold the action upside down in the mill so you can access the rails from the bottom, I use a carbide burr to open the rails.

Another thing I do is cut the front of the trigger guard bow and then squeeze it together to make a more oval trigger bow as I think it looks better than the original. I also straighten the dog leg in the trigger guard.

Not much to it, but it does take time. Go for it!

Hardcast416taylor
11-05-2009, 01:39 PM
I have seen quite a few different large caliber conversions made on the dog-leg bolt Enfields. I used these rifles to make my .338/06 rifles on or any other `06 based cartridge for ease of working on.Robert

peter nap
11-05-2009, 02:30 PM
I've done 1917/ 375 conversions and they aren't especially hard and can be as expensive as you want.
I doubt I'll do anymore after I finish the one sitting (and has been for a while) on my bench now.

As already said, getting the rails right can be frustrating.