PDA

View Full Version : 303 loads

texasheartshot
11-04-2009, 05:13 PM
Looking for info to load 200 gr cast bullets bnh 25 according to maker.I have a can of imr 3031 i want to use I want around 2000 fps if possible.Should i crimp it any seating suggesting.Is this bullet good for hunting elk' black bear wt deer moose.Load for 303 brit made in 1916

dromia
11-04-2009, 07:36 PM
How is its chamber, throat and groove fit?

That is more important than just hardness if you want workable accuracy at those velocities.

You should seat out as far into the lands as possible. The state of you rifles throat will dictate whether this is possible or not.

Probably won't get much expansion on game at that hardness.

Bret4207
11-04-2009, 08:29 PM
Going to 2K fps with a super hard commercial boolit of unknown diameter in a barrel of unknown dimensions is asking for a visit from the lead bunny. I'd have a good supply of 4/0 steel wool on hand to clean my barrel with.

Seriously, you need to have some vague ideas of the boolit size and what your gun wants before pushing things to 2K. An undersized boolit at that speed is certain to teach you all about what's involved in removing lead form a barrel. Hardness means practically NOTHING, it's advertising hype. Fit is what matters with cast. Bhn is way down the list.

Read through some of the older posts here. You'll find common wheel weight alloy with maybe a bit of tin added is about perfect for hunting speeds up to 2200 fps or so depending on range and design. What you need to do is determine what your 303 wants for boolit size, after you get all the copper fouling out of that near hundred year old barrel. Be advised LE barrels run from around .311 to near .320. The LE is about the worst rifle around to pick a generic boolit for and hope for good results.

Bloodman14
11-04-2009, 10:38 PM
What Bret said, +1. (I'm still learning, myself. Don't feel bad!)