PDA

View Full Version : mauser round balls

redneckdan
05-04-2006, 10:12 PM
I loaded up some 8mm mauser with 00 buckshot (mic at .3293) and 3.0 gr of red dot with some dry lint filler. I seated just passed half way on the ball and light crimp, seprate steps. At 25 yds with peep sights and piss poor lighting, I grouped 3/4" from prone with a sling. I think thats minute of squirrel accuracy. I would fiddle more with the load tonight but I operated a 530 'hoe all afternoon and I feel like I got beat with a coal shovel.

Urny
05-04-2006, 11:30 PM
I use a similar load in my M95M Yugo conversion of the Steyr to 8x57. 4.0 Red Dot, no filler, and 00 buckshot seated by thumb pressure, no resizing, no crimp, decap in Lyman decap die. Usually a Winchester LR primer. Makes a good cottontail load out to 25 yards or so.

redneckdan
05-05-2006, 04:01 PM
i'm gonna do some experimenting this weekend

barrrel
05-05-2006, 08:44 PM
I loaded some this evening,4 gr. red dotif i could seegood enough I believe it would be accurate out of my turk. mauser.went through a 2x4 at 25 yds with no problem.

fiberoptik
05-09-2006, 12:17 AM
I loaded some this evening,4 gr. red dotif i could seegood enough I believe it would be accurate out of my turk. mauser.went through a 2x4 at 25 yds with no problem.

Don'cha just hate it when them pesky wabbits hide behind 2x4's?? Now if it was squirrels, they'd have those little nazi hard top hats on 'em....:Fire: :Fire: :Fire:

John F. Lang
05-22-2006, 06:25 AM
Just saw your posting as I was playing catch up on the site.

1 (one) 00 buck in my 308 Turk is a ball to shoot. For yard shots I just use one (1) gr of Bullseye or one (1) gr of VV 310 with 1 gr of kapok to hold it against the primer.

A buddy at work was having Jack rabbits eating all his wifes flowers and all he had to shoot them with was a Win. 94 out of the patio door. Nearest neighbor was half a block away.

This load in a 30/30 case with the ball crimped at the midpoint did the job and not enough noise that the neighbors even knew. He had said he needed to shoot out to about 26 yards. At that range the ball will go completely through a bleach bottle full of water and both ends of a cardboard box! He was even loading two from the magazine although I advised against it.

I have yet to chrony the load but a 30/30 case with just a shotgun primer adaption will drive the ball at 420 fps.

You guys with the 3-4 grs, of Red Dot are stepping out!

I love this kind of reloading! It's a ball.

JL

porkchop bob
05-22-2006, 07:09 AM
I have yet to chrony the load but a 30/30 case with just a shotgun primer adaption will drive the ball at 420 fps.
JL
Good morning, John. Do you have any details for adapting the 30/30 case for use with shotgun primer?
Thanks, Bob

John F. Lang
05-24-2006, 04:36 AM
porkchop bob,

I am going to try one more time to post a reply to you then I guess I'll wait til another day to see if the system will even recognize that I am logged in !!!!

JL

John F. Lang
05-24-2006, 07:54 AM
porkchop bob,

I'll try again to give oyu a reply about the shotgun primers:

I use a #2 drill, a #1 drill and a 21/64 drill for the project.

Resize the case ( if it is a steel case 7.62 x 54R as were my first, remove the de-capping pin and only neck size), the neck is really all you are intrested in here on most cases.

Mount a collet that fits the case oyu are working with in the lathe. Mount the drill chuck in the tailstock.
Drill the case with the #2 drill all the way through the case head.
Repeat the process with the #1 drill.
Mount the 21/64 drill ( I havbe a drill stop collar on mine.) and drill just enough for the rim of the shotgun batterycup to fit flush with the head of the case.
Ream the junction of the #1 drill hole and the 21/64 with a mouth chamfering tool to "break the edge".
Place a shotgun batterycup into the head of the case. It should just start into the #1 drill hole.
I press the primer home with a small oak block until it is flush. Dismount the case and do another if you wish.
I chamfer the neck then bell the case slightly for the ball. I lube the balls in my hand with One Shot 10 at a time and drop them in a container at the bench.
I seat the ball with the palm of the hand.
I crimp the 30/30 but not the 7.62 x 54 or .308 since I single load them.

Hope this reply gets through to post.

JL

porkchop bob
05-24-2006, 08:13 PM
John, thanks for the instructions. Easy to understand. Just what I needed. :Fire:

Bob