PDA

View Full Version : Quick question on Winchester 7.62x39 ammo.

2ndAmendmentNut
11-03-2009, 02:54 PM
Is the 7.62x39 ammo made by Winchester (white box) reloadable brass? Meaning is it boxer primed.

bruce drake
11-03-2009, 05:19 PM
Yes, its reloadable. Large Rifle Primers. Remington stopped making their brass with SR primers about 5 years ago and are LR primed now.

Other reloadable 7.62x39 cases are Prvi and Olympic. They are SR but the cases don't fit my LEE and RCBS shellholders very well (tight fits).

Hope that helps.

Bruce

StarMetal
11-03-2009, 06:47 PM
Yes, its reloadable. Large Rifle Primers. Remington stopped making their brass with SR primers about 5 years ago and are LR primed now.

Other reloadable 7.62x39 cases are Prvi and Olympic. They are SR but the cases don't fit my LEE and RCBS shellholders very well (tight fits).

Hope that helps.

Bruce

Bruce,

You are incorrect about Prvi 7.62x39 brass. It's large rifle primered. Maybe you have some rare ones.

Joe

bruce drake
11-03-2009, 07:46 PM
Must be new production because I bought 200 of them 3 years ago from Graf and they were all SR which is why I bought them (had tons of SR Primers at the time).

StarMetal
11-03-2009, 10:25 PM
Must be new production because I bought 200 of them 3 years ago from Graf and they were all SR which is why I bought them (had tons of SR Primers at the time).

They've changed. Don't know if you know, but Prvi makes some of Wolf's ammo. Here's an interesting thing. They make Wolf Gold ammo in 6.5 Grendel for Alexander Arms. Don't know if you know, but the 6.5 Grendel was designed around Lapua brass with a small rifle primer. Lapua makes such brass for themselves and for Alexander Arms too. Point is Prvi's Wolf Gold 6.5 Grendel ammo is large rifle primed. So why didn't them make it to the original specs? Might be like Remington, they made the small rifle primer brass before too, but have quit. IMI only makes large primer along with PMC.

Joe