PDA

View Full Version : home built checks

shotman
11-03-2009, 01:39 AM
I see many posts about the home made checks . Why would anyone waste time makeing checks that are not near as good as GATOR checks . You cant be that damn tight. I would rather spend my time casting than making junk.

chaos
11-03-2009, 02:03 AM
I see many posts about the home made checks . Why would anyone waste time makeing checks that are not near as good as GATOR checks . You cant be that damn tight. I would rather spend my time casting than making junk.

WT*?!?!? Wow, I had the same view about casting my own slugs up until about a year and a half ago?

You cant be serious?!?!? I guess some of us just like to be as self suffiecent as possible.

RobS
11-03-2009, 02:16 AM
WOW Again. I make my own checks and they are every bit as good as a gator/hornady/lyman check. The proof is in the shooting as my groups are the same with either check installed.

So......................when I can sit and make a gas check for free then it seems like I've done something that I have chosen to freely do. This is a forum that is designed to help others and to gain knowledge from the experienced. I have no problems with people who shoot gator checks or whatever and will gladly help someone understand how to cast, shoot, reload, make gas checks, promote gun safety etc. Power to you on your endeavors into shooting and let others do what it is that floats their boat.

Rob

HamGunner
11-03-2009, 09:58 PM
"I would rather spend my time casting than making junk."

Well, I guess some are more talented than others and are capable of making good checks. Mine shoot just fine and fit just like any other check.

Heavy lead
11-03-2009, 10:04 PM

Wow,
I agree, but only for myself as I'm so darn busy I almost have no time to shoot, let alone cast. But, if you in fact have the time and like to tinker WTH, why not. In reality I'd be better off hiring someone to cast for me with my moulds right now, but I enjoy it. So again WTH.

StarMetal
11-03-2009, 10:13 PM
shotman,

Why would you say such a mooncalf thing?

Joe

Le Loup Solitaire
11-03-2009, 10:20 PM
If someone has not made their own checks and used them how can they state (A)that doing so is a waste of time, (B)that the homemade ones are as good or not as good as anything else, and (C) that it is all about making junk. Any insidious platitudes notwithstanding, I can't see the forest because of the trees and don't bother me with the facts because my mind is already made up. LLS

OutHuntn84
11-03-2009, 10:30 PM
Now really...your just trying to get a rise out of the good folks on this site right...right???
Certainlt you would not have some idea that your lazy negative p*ss poor opinion really matters to those that pursue self efficentcy...right???
Man I really hope you were pulling my leg with that comment cause if your not, brother your on the wrong site!

Lead Fred
11-03-2009, 10:32 PM
Dont know been waiting for my check maker for 6 months.

HollowPoint
11-03-2009, 10:36 PM
Mr Shotman's comment bring to mind an old Chinese Proverb I recall reading a while back.

When paraphrased in the English language it goes something like this:
"Those who say that something can't be done, should not hinder or interfere with those who are actually doing it."

The thing that "can't be done" being, the making of home made gas checks that are just as good if not better than commercial gas checks.

HollowPoint

Tazman1602
11-14-2009, 09:16 PM

No matter what brand they are they're made by Hornady I believe. Whaddya' got to lose by trying to roll yur own man?

..................and yes, I am exactly that tight, hope that doesn't offend you....

Tom W.
11-16-2009, 12:25 AM
I make them because I can, and they work just fine. Another aspect of the hobby....

Bad Water Bill
11-16-2009, 05:49 PM
Some of us that have worked hard all of our lives to make people like SHOTMAN rich enough to make comments like that might just want to take him behind the barn. The whole thing about reloading is being as safe and self reliant as possible. This is a great site to learn more and share experiences with others not BRAG HOW RICH YOU ARE. I am sure there are many here that could buy and sell this person many times over but they never brag. Many of us simply like to prove that we can make many great things with our own two hands. If you can not, sit down and ask questions, learn patience and try to understand that many of us are in our second childhood and like to get our hands and fingernails dirty.

Wally
11-16-2009, 06:16 PM
Made a 100 each for the .357 and .44 calibers (gas checks) and fired them a few weeks ago---they were accurate and I felt might gratified that I had made my own... also, realized that over time I will use them more and the cost will be minimal..I liked that feeling as well.

mold maker
11-16-2009, 07:43 PM
I reload, because I can. I cast for my reloads because I can. I'll make my own Gas Checks, because some of my Cast Boolits need them. If I could make powder and primers I would be grinning from ear to ear.
There was a time when I had an income and lots less time. I reloaded Cast Boolits then too, but with bought Gas Checks.
The fact that I cast and reload, is now the difference between shooting, and wishing I could.
If you young folks live long enough, you'll understand the real value of self reliance.

StarMetal
11-16-2009, 08:32 PM
Hasn't it been traditionally that musketman/rifleman/hunter etc., just about made everything to fire his firearms? Nothing new here, we're still doing it. There's a certain satisfaction in it. Money sometimes necessitates that we make our own stuff.

Joe

mrbill2
11-16-2009, 08:39 PM
I like the JUNK I MAKE !!:smile:

OneShotNeeded
11-16-2009, 09:28 PM
Hey to all I've been reloading for many years and just here in th past oh 3 or 4 I started casting my own boolits. There's nothing better. Can someone turn me on how to make my own checks? I'd rather sit out in my "dog house" drink a beer, watch a hunting show and cast or load. If I can make my own checls that would be even better. Any help would be awesome.

Gunsmoke
11-17-2009, 12:51 AM
I'm with OneShotNeeded in that I would be interested in finding out how people make their own checks, what material is used and the tools needed to make them. I'm now back into making boolits, something I did quite a lot 30 years ago. Back then there were freechecks tools that people used to stamp checks out of plastics, milk cartons and the like but as I recall, most left something to be desired. Also, I don't know what Gator checks are. I'm relatively new to this web site and as I have the time, I will learn more about all aspects of cast boolits.

StarMetal
11-17-2009, 12:58 AM
I'm with OneShotNeeded in that I would be interested in finding out how people make their own checks, what material is used and the tools needed to make them. I'm now back into making boolits, something I did quite a lot 30 years ago. Back then there were freechecks tools that people used to stamp checks out of plastics, milk cartons and the like but as I recall, most left something to be desired. Also, I don't know what Gator checks are. I'm relatively new to this web site and as I have the time, I will learn more about all aspects of cast boolits.

Gator checks are a copper gas check made by a man named Blackmon I believe and are distributed by our forum member blammer. They are dang near factory checks, as good, and more likely better, then Hornadys. The nice thing about them is that they are cheap...real cheap. I suggest if you're not going to make your own checks to get in on a buy for the Gator checks.

Joe

35 Whelen
11-22-2009, 12:32 PM

I tried making my own gas checks and the results were terrible. Below is a couple of examples of their poor performance:
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h6/308Scout/Cast%20bullets/EZChexIIa.jpg
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h6/308Scout/Cast%20bullets/314299group.jpg
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h6/308Scout/Cast%20bullets/P6280002a.jpg
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h6/308Scout/Cast%20bullets/P6280001a.jpg

...and for what it's worth, I make my own lube too. So, you're damned right I'm tight! And proud of it!!!
35W

StarMetal
11-22-2009, 12:39 PM
I tried making my own gas checks and the results were terrible. Below is a couple of examples of their poor performance:

...and for what it's worth, I make my own lube too. So, you're damned right I'm tight! And proud of it!!!
35W

35W,

Sometimes you can even tighten your groups up more by changing the cup material or even changing from hard to soft, or visa versa.
An example I can make checks from a thicker soft aluminum for my 6.5's and did. I though, hot dog, nice thick checks. Didn't shoot as good as the thinner harder flashing material.

Way to go on your efforts. Rewarding isn't it?

Joe

35 Whelen
11-22-2009, 12:57 PM
35W,

Sometimes you can even tighten your groups up more by changing the cup material or even changing from hard to soft, or visa versa.
An example I can make checks from a thicker soft aluminum for my 6.5's and did. I though, hot dog, nice thick checks. Didn't shoot as good as the thinner harder flashing material.

Way to go on your efforts. Rewarding isn't it?

Joe

Thanks for the tip. I really like the aluminum checks. I tried the flashing material, but the checks wouldn't stay on the bullets. I found these aluminum signs and they're perfect in every way. I also made a few checks out of aluminum guttering. It's somewhat thicker material but never tried them.

The bottom two targets may not look too impressive, but bear in mind they were fired prone with a sling and NOT from the bench.
35W

StarMetal
11-22-2009, 01:03 PM
Thanks for the tip. I really like the aluminum checks. I tried the flashing material, but the checks wouldn't stay on the bullets. I found these aluminum signs and they're perfect in every way. I also made a few checks out of aluminum guttering. It's somewhat thicker material but never tried them.

The bottom two targets may not look too impressive, but bear in mind they were fired prone with a sling and NOT from the bench.
35W

35W,

Let me help you a little more. The flashing is great material, but only good for 22 cal up to 6.5, unless the gas check shank on the bullet is very very shallow. For the larger calibers you must have thicker material.

One more note. Some believe the aluminum wears your barrel out. I don't. I just recently realized how many 6.5's I've been shooting when I discovered that my 12 inch by 10 foot long piece of flashing had been all used up making 6.5 checks. My barrels show no abnormal wear from them.

Shooting from the sling makes you're groups even more impressive to me.

Joe

Wally
11-22-2009, 01:36 PM

35W

Might I suggest......try sizing the bullets to a larger size and/or use a different powder charge...I find Unique powder to work exceptionally well in my .30-06 (Rem 700). A little experimentation will do wonders and I suspect will give you the accuracy that you'd be pleased with.

I have used/tested Freechex GC's in my .243 Winchester--they were every bit as good as Hotnady's ..next year I'll be using Freechex GC's with my .30-06..I am sure they will work just fine.

HollowPoint
11-22-2009, 04:20 PM
Every time I see a Gas Check Post like this it makes me wonder, "Why do some guys have good experiences with their home-made-checks and others seem to struggle to get decent results.

I do believe that experience helps alot to achieve success with home-made gas checks but, from the way most of these post are worded, there might be a little luck involved in getting good results as well.

With an uneducated guess on my part, I suspect that those having less than acceptable results may be because their Home-Made gas checks are coming off at the exact moment that their bullets exists the barrel.

It's possible that this is interfering with the uniformity of the hot gas that's pushing the bullet out of the barrel and throwing it off just enough to lead to bad results down range.

In my case, it's very rare to find one of my Gas Checked bullet with the Gas Check still attached.
They had to have come off at some point between exiting the barrel and impacting the target.

Occasionally I've found my Gas Checks laying in or around my target but, those are usually the bullets that give me good accuracy. (good enough for me anyway)

I'd love to see a slow motion video of a Gas Checked Cast bullet exiting the barrel. One from a known accurate load and one known to give poor accuracy.

It would be interesting to see at what point the accurate bullet looses its Gas Check. (If at all) And, at what point the poorer accuracy load looses its check.

I've never tried the aluminum Gas Checks but, it seems that the thin soda can Checks may not always have the strength to grip the bullet as snugly as might be possible with thicker walled Checks.

I know, I know, some guys have good luck with the thinner material and some guys have good luck with the thicker material.

It was just a thought.
HollowPoint

StarMetal
11-22-2009, 05:06 PM
Every time I see a Gas Check Post like this it makes me wonder, "Why do some guys have good experiences with their home-made-checks and others seem to struggle to get decent results.

I do believe that experience helps alot to achieve success with home-made gas checks but, from the way most of these post are worded, there might be a little luck involved in getting good results as well.

With an uneducated guess on my part, I suspect that those having less than acceptable results may be because their Home-Made gas checks are coming off at the exact moment that their bullets exists the barrel.

It's possible that this is interfering with the uniformity of the hot gas that's pushing the bullet out of the barrel and throwing it off just enough to lead to bad results down range.

In my case, it's very rare to find one of my Gas Checked bullet with the Gas Check still attached.
They had to have come off at some point between exiting the barrel and impacting the target.

Occasionally I've found my Gas Checks laying in or around my target but, those are usually the bullets that give me good accuracy. (good enough for me anyway)

I'd love to see a slow motion video of a Gas Checked Cast bullet exiting the barrel. One from a known accurate load and one known to give poor accuracy.

It would be interesting to see at what point the accurate bullet looses its Gas Check. (If at all) And, at what point the poorer accuracy load looses its check.

I've never tried the aluminum Gas Checks but, it seems that the thin soda can Checks may not always have the strength to grip the bullet as snugly as might be possible with thicker walled Checks.

I know, I know, some guys have good luck with the thinner material and some guys have good luck with the thicker material.

It was just a thought.
HollowPoint

I don't think the gas check coming off has that much effect on the bullet. Lyman original checks weren't crimp on and many had very good results with them. My checks all aren't coming off because I find them in my dirt backstop after they pass through a 1 inch oak front! It's kind of hard to tell whether all the checks stay on because they do get messed up going through the oak and dirt both.

I think the difference between good and bad groups with home made checks has more to do with the rifle they were shot from, the load, how well the bullets were cast and fit to that rifle, and the shooter.

I've shot some really shoddy looking checks that have given very good results. I don't feel the quality has a lot to do with how good the bullet shoots. Don't get me wrong...there's a point where it's real bad the results will be bad.

Joe

leadman
11-23-2009, 12:12 AM
35W, good shooting with that ol' Springfield.

I have some of the old brass Lyman checks for the 44 and ran a test with these and Gator checks. The Lyman checks lost the accuracy test. The Gator checked boolits had approx. a 50% smaller group using the same load.
The Lyman checks could be turned on the base of the boolit.

Does using some type of adhesive on the homemade checks help at all?

Dr. Blackman is a very nice person to do business with. I have purchased from him directly by calling his doctors office and placing an order. His checks are made by his company, Hornady makes for the rest. He also has swaging equipment.

OneShotNeeded
11-24-2009, 03:59 PM
I've noticed one thing everyone seems to be so worried about how the check looks, or wether or not it stays on the boolit once it leaves the barrel....well honestly I don't see where it matters. I don't see how a "check" is going to make a huge difference in accuracy. In my experience I've noticed that if you have a group like 35 Whelen top target, most of the time you can tighten up the group by either going down 1/2 a grain on the charge or up 1/2 a grain on the charge. I'm not trying to argue just mentioning what I've noticed.

StarMetal
11-24-2009, 04:01 PM
I've noticed one thing everyone seems to be so worried about how the check looks, or wether or not it stays on the boolit once it leaves the barrel....well honestly I don't see where it matters. I don't see how a "check" is going to make a huge difference in accuracy. In my experience I've noticed that if you have a group like 35 Whelen top target, most of the time you can tighten up the group by either going down 1/2 a grain on the charge or up 1/2 a grain on the charge. I'm not trying to argue just mentioning what I've noticed.

Exclude me out of your post as I just posted to the same effect. Read above.

Joe[smilie=s:

Wally
11-24-2009, 04:15 PM

35W

A wave of inspiration came over me....to make it a truly fair test you should make gas checks out of the same material that the commercially made ones are made from---copper. I make my own out of aluminum as copper is too expensive IMHO to be using. I have had excellent results with a wide variety of calibers---I still have some tweaking to do with the .22 Caliber though...I have no doubt that I will get the right combination eventually for it as well..others have.l

StarMetal
11-24-2009, 05:14 PM
When I test my aluminum checks I do double test loads and the difference is the others have Hornady checks on them. I would have been satisfied if my check shot at least as good as the Hornady, but was rewarded with them out shooting the big H in most calibers. Couldn't ask for more.

Joe

yondering
11-24-2009, 06:06 PM

Natural talent maybe? Some folks have it, and some obviously don't.

Seriously though, why would anyone waste time making there own gas check junk when you could paper patch? :D:kidding:

StarMetal
11-24-2009, 08:09 PM
Natural talent maybe? Some folks have it, and some obviously don't.

Seriously though, why would anyone waste time making there own gas check junk when you could paper patch? :D:kidding:

...because I can put a check on my bullet faster then you can paper patch one....and I've been known to shoot cast pretty accurately and at high velocities. :kidding:

Joe

35 Whelen
11-25-2009, 01:30 AM

Well, I'd think it'd make a HUGE difference in accuracy if the check stayed on or fell off. To me if it looks bad, as in one side of the check is misformed, etc. this throws the bullet out of balance thus affecting accuracy.
As far as tightening the group in the top target, it may or may not be possible. After all it was fired from a 67 year old, as-issued No.4 Enfield. Hopefully within the next year I'll be able to do some in depth testing with that rifle as I intend to shoot CMP vintage matches with it.

35W

Idaho Sharpshooter
11-25-2009, 02:27 AM
same reason some guys like short, fat women instead of tall skinny ones?
OK, the sense of accomplishment and having control of your entire process?

that's all I can come up with.

Rich

StarMetal
11-25-2009, 11:55 AM
same reason some guys like short, fat women instead of tall skinny ones?
OK, the sense of accomplishment and having control of your entire process?

that's all I can come up with.

Rich

I though the short fat women was a low self esteem problem. :kidding:

Joe

RU shooter
11-25-2009, 05:16 PM
I though the short fat women was a low self esteem problem. :kidding:

JoeI dont know about self esteem but If they can cook well who cares!As far as why you would bother to make your own checks? No stores around me stock them and I really hate catalog ordering AND mine are free.

Tim

Taylor
11-25-2009, 05:35 PM
OK,so how do I make them? Is there a kit available for sale? Why should I buy anything that I can make myself? At least it will be made in the USA!

35 Whelen
11-25-2009, 06:03 PM
OK,so how do I make them? Is there a kit available for sale? Why should I buy anything that I can make myself? At least it will be made in the USA!

I use the Free Chex II. It can be bought on eBay. Someone here on the board makes them too.
35W

StarMetal
11-25-2009, 06:07 PM
I use the Free Chex II. It can be bought on eBay. Someone here on the board makes them too.
35W

Pat Marlin makes them here on the forum and his are top notch from what I hear. Give him a holler.

Joe

ghh3rd
11-25-2009, 06:12 PM
Better "check" yourself :-)

OneShotNeeded
11-25-2009, 11:50 PM
I picked up one of the freechex tools and I love it. Works great!! Seems to be a good investment.

RobS
11-26-2009, 04:09 AM
cool..........................and now you have more money for...............................more shooting. Excellent how this so called "junk" works.

acemedic13
11-26-2009, 07:40 AM
I'm sold. I'm getting one this week. Thanks for all the great posts on this.

Bucks Owin
11-26-2009, 02:37 PM

Don't know about "gator" but I'd as soon spend my limited reloading budget on primers and powder than be ripped off for the price of Hornady GC's!!! I see a Freecheck tool on my horizon.....Dennis

Caveape
11-29-2009, 07:49 PM
Earlier this year, I bought a Freechex II in 30 cal off Fleabay. As it's the only gas check maker I've ever used, I can't compare it to the rest. However, I can say that it makes them with relatively little effort and is FUN to do! The ones I've made look good and fit the base of my boolit very tightly after running them through the lube sizer.

So, it's so far, so good. Haven't got a chance to see how they fly, as I don't have as much time on my hands as I would like.

When I get a chance, maybe I'll remember to let ya'll know the results!

zipdog
12-04-2009, 04:01 PM
Where are you guys getting these Freechex tools? I checked ebay and came up empty.
As an aside, I just bought some Hornady .338 gas checks from Midsouth for $23.24....not as cheap as gator checks but not all that bad.

StarMetal
12-04-2009, 04:14 PM
Where are you guys getting these Freechex tools? I checked ebay and came up empty.
As an aside, I just bought some Hornady .338 gas checks from Midsouth for $23.24....not as cheap as gator checks but not all that bad.

Pm Pat Marlin here on the forum. He makes a quality check making tool.

Joe

Boerrancher
12-04-2009, 09:32 PM
I make a lot of my own "junk" from my own gas checks and rifles, to many of the tools I work with every day. Why some may ask? ßecause I can and most of what I make works better than what I can buy. I'm not a tight wad nor am I broke, I just like making my own things. It gives me personal satisfaction to know that I don't need to depend on others to aquire the things I need. To go a step farther, some of the .things I make are considered quite primitive. My arrows are homemade with my own personally knapped flint broadheads,and out of my hand made bow will shoot with most of the high dollar compounds on the market. My personal security knife is made of flint with a rawhide handle. It's 4 inch blade will shave hair, and it walks through security checkpoints unmolested by the minimum wage Nazi's that man them. Primitive "junk" and a waste of time just like my gas checks. I just know that if things ever get bad I don't need to depend on any one.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,
Joe

rbuck351
12-05-2009, 05:42 AM
Boerrancher.
Very well put. I also make a lot of my own junk and find it very satisfying.. I not only make my own checks but also make my own junk to make the checks. I find satisfaction in this that I don't get buying someone elses stuff. To each his own!!!

wistlepig1
12-15-2009, 01:56 AM
Well, talking about making JUNK, after the Holidays I am going to try to make my own gas check maker. Well the first one will more than likely be junk, but by the 4th or 5th one it might work. Oh, and I will have FUN trying even if it doesn;t work!! Isn't that the whole idea of what we all are doing---- having fun. an old man's view

rbuck351
12-15-2009, 07:52 AM
wistlepig
You have nailed it. It has long been my motto "If it ain't fun don't do it." Some of the junk I make has been just that, usless junk. But it was still fun trying. Other junk has worked out very well sometimes providing hours of entertainment at usually a very low cost. Sometimes the simplest toys are the most fun, like a home made check maker. Some people just don't get it, but thats fine too. I find if I have to explain why I do the things I do to others, they are not going to understand anyway.

wistlepig1
12-15-2009, 09:29 PM
rBuck,

that's the way I have looked at it my 62 years and think I am happier for it. When I was a teenager I took of fly tieing, and to this day I still can see that first nice Brown that feel for it. The truth is it was a piece of JUNk compared to the ones at a store, just try to explan that to someone that hasn't even built a outhouse!

Tazman1602
12-15-2009, 09:47 PM
rBuck,

that's the way I have looked at it my 62 years and think I am happier for it. When I was a teenager I took of fly tieing, and to this day I still can see that first nice Brown that feel for it. The truth is it was a piece of JUNk compared to the ones at a store, just try to explan that to someone that hasn't even built a outhouse!

.............try to explain that to someone who has never USED an outhouse.........................

<GRIN>

Art

rbuck351
12-16-2009, 01:11 AM
I have used a couple of outhouses that were built by people that really didn't know how. They were still better than letting it all hang out at 20 below. My mama used to say "beggers can't be choosers" Buck

Philngruvy
12-16-2009, 08:23 AM
I remember that my grandparents had a four holer in their backyard. I never could figure out why. I mean , what are the odds that four people would need to go at the same time, or better yet, would want to!!!!!!!

Fat-beeman
12-31-2009, 09:15 PM
from what I have read so far, soon as they are on the market I will be buying 22 cal 243cal 30 cal 8mm well you get the picture so long J boolits
Don :loveboolit shooting and happy:lovebooli

Rockydog
01-03-2010, 03:49 AM
I remember that my grandparents had a four holer in their backyard. I never could figure out why. I mean , what are the odds that four people would need to go at the same time, or better yet, would want to!!!!!!!

My mother was raised as the oldest of 7 sisters. She used to tell of the mad dash to the outhouse about bedtime and again first thing in the morning. The lantern only got lit once and you'd best be on the potty train when it pulled out of the station or you went alone in the dark. A 4 holer was a real luxury!

As to the gas checks. I stopped at the local emporium of all evil this afternoon. 30 Cal gas checks were $35 a box. I've got used aluminum flashing that was free for the hauling. RD