PDA

View Full Version : More Gas Checks

mrbill2
11-02-2009, 10:08 PM
Over the past couple of weeks there have been quite a few posts about making gas checks. Thought I might see if I could come up with my own tool to do the job. I wanted a tool that I can use in my loading press to cut and form checks with a single stroke of the press. I desided that I would make the checks form .015 to
.020 aluminum. Well to make a long story short, mission accomplished. See the pictures. The tool makes gas checks ready to use as fast as I want to feed the metal strips and move the press handle. I have been to the range several times to see if my checks will shoot as good as store bought checks. I have shot three different bullets at 100 yds. and all do just fine. The one in the picture was shot with a old Lyman 311467. Just a little over 5/8" .660. All in all my tool works just fine, but I do want to tweek things just a bit.

I made a trip to the local scrap yard today and bought 8"x .018 Al flashing 45 feet
long for $12.00 bucks. If I did the math right that enough for over 17000 checks.
Not a bad days work.

AZ-Stew
11-02-2009, 11:14 PM
Drawings??

Regards,

Stew

bedwards
11-02-2009, 11:22 PM
I wanna buy one for my 311467, 430265 and 358156!

Bert2368
11-03-2009, 12:17 AM
Any chance that will become a production item?

jdgabbard
11-03-2009, 12:23 AM
Very good sir! Now put it into production for your friends at cast boolits!

Ekalb2000
11-03-2009, 01:44 AM
Production date???

Idaho Sharpshooter
11-03-2009, 01:48 AM
Where is the order line?

30, 35, 375, 416, 44 (works for for 404 Jeffery as well), 45 and 458...

Rich

RobS
11-03-2009, 02:30 AM
Really interesting. A man with time and innovation, simply cool what a person can manage, great job. I'll be watching your gas check posts!!!

desteve811
11-03-2009, 09:38 AM
Nice work! So whens production starting?

mrbill2
11-03-2009, 08:37 PM
Thanks fellows. I wish I could make one for everyone, but that's not in the cards right now, but maybe some time down the road. The only cast bullets I shoot are for my benchrest rifle in production class 308Win.. That's what got me started with cast and I just had a idea that I could come up with something to lessen the cost of checks. Prices for checks are nuts. I made some more checks today and want to do some more shooting before I would get into making any tools for sale. I'll keep you posted as to my progress. Till Later.

HollowPoint
11-03-2009, 09:12 PM
Greetings MrBill2:

I've been thinking of making my own gas check tool as well but, right now I've got a couple of other projects in the works that's taking all my spare time.

I'm glad to see that you and Pat Marlins have the tinkering smarts to come up with these gizmos. That tells me that most of us other boolit casters could probably make one of these tools up for ourselves given the time and determination.

Thanks for posting your success with this new tool you've built.
Really, I mean it.

One of the other guys inquired about drawings. I guess I'm not the only chronic do-it-yourselfer on this forum.

HollowPoint

mrbill2
11-04-2009, 09:08 PM
Greetings MrBill2:

I've been thinking of making my own gas check tool as well but, right now I've got a couple of other projects in the works that's taking all my spare time.

I'm glad to see that you and Pat Marlins have the tinkering smarts to come up with these gizmos. That tells me that most of us other boolit casters could probably make one of these tools up for ourselves given the time and determination.

Thanks for posting your success with this new tool you've built.
Really, I mean it.

One of the other guys inquired about drawings. I guess I'm not the only chronic do-it-yourselfer on this forum.

HollowPoint

Hello Mr. HollowPoint
I do like to tinker in my basement shop. Have a lathe, mill and all that good stuff. Most of the time I'm either down there or at the rifle range or shooting match somewhere. Now that winter is coming I'll get more shop time. I'm 66 and don't like the cold. I was playing with that tool today and just for so cut a plastic container in strips and ran them through. Makes nice little plastic checks. Only problem is they won't hold their shape. Maybe some heat !! Never know, just might work.
Drawings, not yet. Just kinda made it up in my head as I went along.
Till Next Time

Xcaliber
11-07-2009, 12:30 AM
Hello Mrbill2, that gas check maker looks good and seems to make some good looking checks. I also am interested in one of your tools should you ever get the time. : ). I enjoy looking at things made by an individual and wished I still had access to the shop. Should you ever need End mills and drills i have some new and re-sharpened tools not being used at all. Very nice work.

Ajax
11-07-2009, 10:58 AM
mrbill2 i toowould love to get one of you check tools. if there is a list put me on it.

Andy

mrbill2
11-07-2009, 11:36 AM
If and when I get one ready to sell, I'll be sure to post. I have some health issues to deal with and some days are better than others. Getting old can be a PITA.

RP
11-07-2009, 12:31 PM
If iam looking at it right its a one step process ? after its cut into strips just run it and one time and you got GCs now I like that ideal. I would to be interested in one for 30s 44 and 45cals. So Christmas is comeing if you are feeling like Santa let me know I PM my addy lol.

zuke
11-07-2009, 03:10 PM
Would you mind giving a detailed step by step so we can get an idea on how to go about making our own?
No use in re-inventing the wheel.

Tom W.
11-07-2009, 03:34 PM
I'd like to have one for a .30 cal also....

mrbill2
11-08-2009, 12:15 AM
# 1 Ricky P you are correct. One stroke one GC.
#2 Zuke I wish had a thousand of these tool made up and ready to sell for x amount of dollars, I couldn't lick the stamps fast enough to get them in the mail. That said, I'm not about to GIVE my idea away. It wouldn't take long before someone would be making and selling them on Ebay.

StarMetal
11-08-2009, 11:52 AM
Don't worry MrBill, you don't have to give your idea away as you're not the only one that can make a one stroke completed gas check maker.

Here's mine:

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg51/starmetal47/CheckDie.jpg

Don't ask fellows, far as I'm concerned they are too labor intensive to make for me to sell at a decent price and make a profit. Get a lathe and learn how to make your own.

Joe

Ricochet
11-08-2009, 01:46 PM
Sweet!

mrbill2
11-08-2009, 08:14 PM
You'r right, I'm sure you and I are not the only ones to make such a tool. Can I ask, do you have a picture of the rest of your tool.

JIMinPHX
11-09-2009, 01:34 AM
I'm in the same boat. I got a prototype to work, but I don't have time to build more, even though I have requests to do so. I haven't even got my drawings done yet. Post #115 on this thread shows what I came up with on my first go round.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=45542&page=6

My next generation progressive punch was going to look more like Mr. Bill's. The whole thing was going to sit on top of the press. It was going to be a two piece screw together job with a feed hole for the copper strip, but I haven't had the time to prototype it yet. I also don't have the right kind of grinding equipment to make the punch dies to the specks that I would prefer.

That's a slick looking little rig you have there Mr. Bill. Seeing it kind of makes me want to get back to work on mine. If I could get my drawings done, I would be able to send them out to some local job shops to get parts made, & then anyone who wanted to have one could get it.

Maybe in another month or two when things slow down for me.

StarMetal
11-09-2009, 10:56 AM
I'm in the same boat. I got a prototype to work, but I don't have time to build more, even though I have requests to do so. I haven't even got my drawings done yet. Post #115 on this thread shows what I came up with on my first go round.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=45542&page=6

My next generation progressive punch was going to look more like Mr. Bill's. The whole thing was going to sit on top of the press. It was going to be a two piece screw together job with a feed hole for the copper strip, but I haven't had the time to prototype it yet. I also don't have the right kind of grinding equipment to make the punch dies to the specks that I would prefer.

That's a slick looking little rig you have there Mr. Bill. Seeing it kind of makes me want to get back to work on mine. If I could get my drawings done, I would be able to send them out to some local job shops to get parts made, & then anyone who wanted to have one could get it.

Maybe in another month or two when things slow down for me.

Making the tool more complicated then needed isn't the way to go. Mine and MrBill's are one piece (from what I can see of MrBills).

You're not going to send parts out to be made by a machine shop unless your dies are going to sell for over $100.

The one I made here is for 6.5 checks. I got another started for 30 caliber.

Joe

JIMinPHX
11-09-2009, 07:06 PM
Making the tool more complicated then needed isn't the way to go. Mine and MrBill's are one piece (from what I can see of MrBills).

Mine will have interchangeable die heads & forming buttons. Changing from .30 cal to 7mm or 6.5mm, etc. will only require the changing of a few small parts & should take less than a minute. When the cutting surfaces eventually wear out, the same small parts can be replaced or resharpened. I think that the extra complication is worthwhile in light of that advantage.

You're not going to send parts out to be made by a machine shop unless your dies are going to sell for over $100.

It depends on which parts, which shop & how many I have made at a time. I've got a pretty strong background in machine building. I know how to spec a job out so as to get parts made efficiently.

Besides, some guys may be willing to pay $100 or more if the gizmo is nice enough.

StarMetal
11-09-2009, 08:31 PM
Mine will have interchangeable die heads & forming buttons. Changing from .30 cal to 7mm or 6.5mm, etc. will only require the changing of a few small parts & should take less than a minute. When the cutting surfaces eventually wear out, the same small parts can be replaced or resharpened. I think that the extra complication is worthwhile in light of that advantage. Sounds nice, but you're looking at some precision work. For example, if the die cup and die forming plunger, and die disc cutter aren't exactly and precisely aligned and concentric you will get a gas check that have one side much taller...alone not counting other difficulties.

It depends on which parts, which shop & how many I have made at a time. I've got a pretty strong background in machine building. I know how to spec a job out so as to get parts made efficiently. A lot of shops don't like dealing with very small intricate parts.

Besides, some guys may be willing to pay $100 or more if the gizmo is nice enough.

If some guys are willing to pay more for them then they might as well go to Corbin, he already makes them.

Joe

mrbill2
11-09-2009, 09:36 PM
"Mine and MrBill's are one piece (from what I can see of MrBills)."
Jim, mine is two pieces. I can change cutter and die also, but just down from 30 cal. I only shoot 30 cal. so that is all I was after.
I looked at Corbins also. For $398.00 and you still need to make disks first and then change dies to form the cup. I wounder if anyone ever buys their outfit.

StarMetal
11-09-2009, 11:08 PM
"Mine and MrBill's are one piece (from what I can see of MrBills)."
Jim, mine is two pieces. I can change cutter and die also, but just down from 30 cal. I only shoot 30 cal. so that is all I was after.
I looked at Corbins also. For $398.00 and you still need to make disks first and then change dies to form the cup. I wounder if anyone ever buys their outfit.

Bill,

So what's more time consuming to make, cutter and dies, or a single complete die? You know what's involved in making the tool and making one that's not interchangeable. I see it like reloading dies..why hasn't someone make a reloading die with interchangeable internals? Is one way better then the other? I think where the problem lies with our tools is ejection of the completed gas check. I noticed you asked me for a picture of the other part of my tool. That shows me some concern in that area.

I'm working on a tool where the ejection of the completed check is out through the top of the tool much like Lee's push through sizer. Have a cup container on top just like Lee uses to catch the bullets. I chose this method I used here because at the time it's easier. My next series will be just that. If you have nothing but time on your hands and don't put a dollar figure to you time, you could make them for sell. I wouldn't make them unless I had CNC machinery.

Joe

JIMinPHX
11-09-2009, 11:26 PM
Joe,
I understand the ABC's of machining. I know that I need to keep my concentricity good & hold tight tolerances. That's not a problem for me or the job shops that I sometimes use. It's standard practice.

As far as some shops not liking to deal with small parts...Well, I'm not going to send a job like that to a guy with a Bullard. I'm going to send it to a guy with a Swiss screw machine or a sub 10" NC lathe. A guy with that kind of equipment is likely to eat that little job for breakfast. I may have to go in for 50 or 100 pieces to get a good price from that kind of shop though. If I need smaller quantities, then I need to go to a guy with a little Hardinge chucker. Like I said, it depends on which shop you go to.

Also, I was talking about maybe going above $100. I was not planning to go anywhere near $400 & I don't think that I would need to.

Mr. Bill,
Thank you for the added info. I find that interesting.

PatMarlin
11-10-2009, 12:40 PM
Yes- now most folks see how much work these dies are to make. Very labor intensive.

That's all I've been doing for a year- perfecting production for my Checkmaker dies, and I have it perfected using 2 lathes... a Hardinge Chucker, an 11" Logan, and a Bridgeport.

But there is only so many that can be made manually with one guy, even running 2 lathes at once which I do.

So I acquired a Hardinge Precision Tool Room CNC lathe expressly for making Checkmaker die sets in the shop ready to go with all the tooling I need. I've hired a seasoned CNC machinist who is familiar with my Hardinge to come up and train me and do a complete set up on the machine for the die production.

I'm using Omniturn Gang tooling blocks, so I will have blocks with tooling set up for every caliber. This way when I want to do a caliber run, I bolt on the spec block of tooling and run the program.

With all the work I've gone through, I will be in hog heaven now and will have all calibers stocked. This is my goal, and I'm just about there. So anyone interested in buying one of my die sets will be able to get one... :drinks:

PatMarlin
11-10-2009, 12:43 PM
I forgot to add the price will remain at $74, and I will include my optional ejector pin at no extra charge, so in effect the price will be lower.

StarMetal
11-10-2009, 12:49 PM
Yes- now most folks see how much work these dies are to make. Very labor intensive.

That's all I've been doing for a year- perfecting production for my Checkmaker dies, and I have it perfected using 2 lathes... a Hardinge Chucker, an 11" Logan, and a Bridgeport.

But there is only so many that can be made manually with one guy, even running 2 lathes at once which I do.

So I acquired a Hardinge Precision Tool Room CNC lathe expressly for making Checkmaker die sets in the shop ready to go with all the tooling I need. I've hired a seasoned CNC machinist who is familiar with my Hardinge to come up and train me and do a complete set up on the machine for the die production.

I'm using Omniturn Gang tooling blocks, so I will have blocks with tooling set up for every caliber. This way when I want to do a caliber run, I bolt on the spec block of tooling and run the program.

With all the work I've gone through, I will be in hog heaven now and will have all calibers stocked. This is my goal, and I'm just about there. So anyone interested in buying one of my die sets will be able to get one... :drinks:

Pat,

Now all you need to do is make those dies like the ones mentioned here in this thread....one stroke of the press lever....one completed gas check. Cutting discs and then forming them is a real PITA.

After I made my recent dies I thought "Geez, why didn't I do this a long time ago".

I found something out interesting while testing my new die. For the 6.5 checks hardware store aluminum flashing is just fine. Well went getting my flashing to cut some test strips I realized my flashing was down to a 12 inch square piece. My God! I've shot that many checks from that flashing and I haven't had it that long?

Joe

PatMarlin
11-10-2009, 01:03 PM
I will be looking at that concept, and I have not seen your cut and form die, but cutting and forming is not slow or a PITA with my dies at all. Just ask the guys that are using them now.

I can make a few hundred checks very quikly and easily.

The other thing with my die design now is they are cutting and forming material up to .021, and good accuracy results have been found down to .006 Aluminum all with the same die set ...! .010 copper has met or exceeded factory checks.

So the thought of making a one step tool is good, but I would not want to sacrafice performance, and not want to loose the wide range I have now of material choices for a wide range of boolit shank sizes the dies accomodate, even loose fitting shanks, and not want to loose the stellar accuracy performance to date with such a wide range of materials shooters here have found.

StarMetal
11-10-2009, 01:33 PM
I will be looking at that concept, and I have not seen your cut and form die, but cutting and forming is not slow or a PITA with my dies at all. Just ask the guys that are using them now.

I can make a few hundred checks very quikly and easily.

The other thing with my die design now is they are cutting and forming material up to .021, and good accuracy results have been found down to .006 Aluminum all with the same die set ...! .010 copper has met or exceeded factory checks.

So the thought of making a one step tool is good, but I would not want to sacrafice performance, and not want to loose the wide range I have now of material choices for a wide range of boolit shank sizes the dies accomodate, even loose fitting shanks, and not want to loose the stellar accuracy performance to date with such a wide range of materials shooters here have found.

Pat,

No matter how easy your dies are to use, people want one stroke one finished gas check. It is so nice to pull the strip as fast as you want and chop out completed checks. Corbins are two step and they make some mighty fine checks...but still...two things....extremely pricely and still two steps. I had two steps dies too Pat. PITA Analogy: People got tired of shifting gears in their autos, along comes the automatic and it dominates the industry today.

Joe

PatMarlin
11-10-2009, 03:30 PM
I know people who are very happy with using my dies Joe, in fact I have not had one complaint to date, aside from getting their order timely, obviously- and that is soon to be remedied.

I'm not against one step, but versions like ebay frechex have had problems reported. Yours may be the cat's meow.

Until a design works as well as mine comes along, I see no reason to compromise. Shifting gears is no problem for many folks, and infact many folks still desire manual transmissions and hate autos.

So when you say "people", you are not speaking for eveyone in this regard. When I build a one step, it will have to perform as good as my dies to date or better.

StarMetal
11-10-2009, 03:43 PM
I know people who are very happy with using my dies Joe, in fact I have not had one complaint to date, aside from getting their order timely, obviously- and that is soon to be remedied.

I'm not against one step, but versions like ebay frechex have had problems reported. Yours may be the cat's meow.

Until a design works as well as mine comes along, I see no reason to compromise. Shifting gears is no problem for many folks, and infact many folks still desire manual transmissions and hate autos.

So when you say "people", you are not speaking for eveyone in this regard. When I build a one step, it will have to perform as good as my dies to date or better.

All my vehicles in my life have been stick shifts. Back to topic, I'm not criticizing your check tools. Personally I don't think much of the Frechexs, I also think using multiple layers of soda can aluminum as inane. I'm telling you the one stroke complete check tools are about to hit the market. Maybe you should be making some proto-types so you won't be caught short.

Joe

PatMarlin
11-10-2009, 04:39 PM

Back to topic, I'm not criticizing your check tools. Personally I don't think much of the Frechexs, I also think using multiple layers of soda can aluminum as inane. I'm telling you the one stroke complete check tools are about to hit the market. Maybe you should be making some proto-types so you won't be caught short.

Joe

Joe a little historical background here...

I stepped in to offer a solution for gas check dies for Cast Boolit members at my own expense after the eBay guy thumbed his nose at use here. I under estimated the scope of the undertaking. There has been great support from members here and I am truly greatful for that.

I had originally made arrangements to have a friend who is a machinist manufacture the dies. He gave me the green light to sell and take orders, and then as months progressed we realized he could not handle the job, and left me hanging in the wind totally screwed.

At great expense and putting on hold everything else in my life, I aquired machines, set up my shop and perfected the dies, and production set up. I have put everything on the line to do this venture, including a CNC machine, and have done nothing else this year.

My one goal has been to set up the very best quality product, and the very best customer service supporting Cast Boolit members first and foremost.

Now you tell me I'm about to be mowed over by other dies hitting the market.

Since you are in every thread on this forum concerning Gas Checks, could you be so kind as to tell me who, where, and when so I may prepare myself for such a thing?

I think after all the sacrafice, exhausting work, and hurdles I've overcome to make this happen I am at least due that much respect.

A pm will be sufficient.

JIMinPHX
11-10-2009, 07:52 PM
I forgot to add the price will remain at $74, and I will include my optional ejector pin at no extra charge, so in effect the price will be lower.

A very reasonable price indeed. & from all accounts that I have seen, it is a quality product that it's purchasers are happy with.

JIMinPHX
11-10-2009, 08:06 PM
I stepped in to offer a solution for gas check dies for Cast Boolit members at my own expense after the eBay guy thumbed his nose at use here. I under estimated the scope of the undertaking. There has been great support from members here and I am truly greatful for that.

I had originally made arrangements to have a friend who is a machinist manufacture the dies. He gave me the green light to sell and take orders, and then as months progressed we realized he could not handle the job, and left me hanging in the wind totally screwed.

At great expense and putting on hold everything else in my life, I aquired machines, set up my shop and perfected the dies, and production set up. I have put everything on the line to do this venture, including a CNC machine, and have done nothing else this year.

My one goal has been to set up the very best quality product, and the very best customer service supporting Cast Boolit members first and foremost.

Now you tell me I'm about to be mowed over by other dies hitting the market.

Since you are in every thread on this forum concerning Gas Checks, could you be so kind as to tell me who, where, and when so I may prepare myself for such a thing?

I think after all the sacrafice, exhausting work, and hurdles I've overcome to make this happen I am at least due that much respect.

A pm will be sufficient.

You're not going to get mowed over by me. I think that you are doing a great job & I have no desire to eat away at that. I'm glad that an honest man who is producing an honest product has found a fertile market in which to sell his wares.

I have had 2 people contact me & ask if I could make them progressive one-step check makers. I assume from everything that I have read, that you have a MUCH larger following. I believe that your product satisfies the vast majority of the market & I'm glad that it's working out that way. I had to tell both the people who liked my design that I would not be able to make die sets for them for several months because I just don't have the time right now.

After the first of the year, when my day job goes slack again, I hope to clear out all my back burner projects (there are several) & get those two gentlemens' requests satisfied. In doing so, I will also be generating some shop drawings for the parts that I make. After the drawings are done, Pat will be welcome to take a look & see if he would be interested in expanding his product line to include something similar to my prototypes. I suspect that by that time he will be well equiped to produce my variation as well as his, if he so chooses.

mrbill2
11-10-2009, 09:33 PM
Holly Smoke Guys. We all know there is more than one way to skin a cat. It's what ever works for you. When I started I just wanted to see what I could come up with. My tool works for me, end of story. It makes one check ready to go with each stroke. That's what I want. Here's one I started yesterday. It use to be a Lee 22 Hornet neck sizing die. I removed the insides and changed things, now it makes checks.

ph4570
11-10-2009, 10:03 PM
My goodness -- Gas check die wars! What's next? Sprue plate lube wars?

StarMetal
11-11-2009, 12:40 AM
My goodness -- Gas check die wars! What's next? Sprue plate lube wars?

No it's not a gas check war. Why do people post stuff like that? To start one?

Pat mistaken another die for the ones I don't care for, not his. I was talking about the dies that use a bunch layers of pop can or beer can aluminum. That's too tedious. Pat's dies give you a good one piece check.

Pat, you have a pm on this.

Joe

lwknight
11-11-2009, 12:46 AM
I know how to do it, I know how to mass produce at a marketable cost as well.
I need a machine shop somewhere that is within reasonable distance to Weatherford TX.

JIMinPHX
11-11-2009, 08:09 AM
I know good shops in Phoenix, NJ & Ontario Canada. I don't know any in Texas, but I am sure that there are some there somewhere.

mrbill2
11-11-2009, 11:48 AM
Bill,

So what's more time consuming to make, cutter and dies, or a single complete die? You know what's involved in making the tool and making one that's not interchangeable. I see it like reloading dies..why hasn't someone make a reloading die with interchangeable internals? Is one way better then the other? I think where the problem lies with our tools is ejection of the completed gas check. I noticed you asked me for a picture of the other part of my tool. That shows me some concern in that area.

I'm working on a tool where the ejection of the completed check is out through the top of the tool much like Lee's push through sizer. Have a cup container on top just like Lee uses to catch the bullets. I chose this method I used here because at the time it's easier. My next series will be just that. If you have nothing but time on your hands and don't put a dollar figure to you time, you could make them for sell. I wouldn't make them unless I had CNC machinery.

Joe

Joe
Sorry for the late response to your question. I agree that the cutter and die needs to be just right and they are the hardest parts to make. But to make reloading die with interchangable parts would be a hell of alot harder than making the three little parts in the picture.

To the left is the cutter and the middle is the die. the part to the right is nothing more than a altered 5/16" bolt. How long it takes me to make those, I'd have to guess two to three hrs. At 66 I don't go so fast anymore.

If I could turn back the clock I'd invest in one of those fancy CNC machines. When I go to some of the trade shows those things are amazing just to watch. For a number of years I made floating reamer tools and sold them on Ebay. Made enough too pay for all my shooting hobby and a little extra. But I found that I spent more time making tools than shooting so I quite. Got tired of making the same thing over and over again.
Mr. Bill

StarMetal
11-11-2009, 12:33 PM
Joe
Sorry for the late response to your question. I agree that the cutter and die needs to be just right and they are the hardest parts to make. But to make reloading die with interchangable parts would be a hell of alot harder than making the three little parts in the picture.

To the left is the cutter and the middle is the die. the part to the right is nothing more than a altered 5/16" bolt. How long it takes me to make those, I'd have to guess two to three hrs. At 66 I don't go so fast anymore.

If I could turn back the clock I'd invest in one of those fancy CNC machines. When I go to some of the trade shows those things are amazing just to watch. For a number of years I made floating reamer tools and sold them on Ebay. Made enough too pay for all my shooting hobby and a little extra. But I found that I spent more time making tools than shooting so I quite. Got tired of making the same thing over and over again.
Mr. Bill

Mr Bill,

Thanks for the pictures. Yeah at our age we don't go fast as we use too. Tell what Bill, standing in front of my lathe for hours...on concrete, tears my body up big time and fast.

A career counselor told me that when you make a hobby your work, then it's no fun anymore. So I know what you mean about making those tools and having no time.

Joe

45 2.1
11-11-2009, 12:55 PM
I see it like reloading dies..why hasn't someone make a reloading die with interchangeable internals?

Herters did back in the 70's. I had two sets which were stolen. They produced very accurate rifle ammo.

mrbill2
11-11-2009, 08:39 PM
"Mr Bill,

Thanks for the pictures. Yeah at our age we don't go fast as we use too. Tell what Bill, standing in front of my lathe for hours...on concrete, tears my body up big time and fast.

A career counselor told me that when you make a hobby your work, then it's no fun anymore. So I know what you mean about making those tools and having no time.

Joe "

Joe your right again. I don't know why but I can not run my lathe sitting on a stool. I have to have my nose in there watching everything. The milling machine I can give my a-- a rest.
The courselor was right.
It's alot more fun to go shoot than spend to day working. Till next time.

StarMetal
11-11-2009, 09:14 PM
"Mr Bill,

Joe "

Joe your right again. I don't know why but I can not run my lathe sitting on a stool. I have to have my nose in there watching everything. The milling machine I can give my a-- a rest.
The courselor was right.
It's alot more fun to go shoot than spend to day working. Till next time.

Bill,

Funny you mentioned that stool. I was complaining to my wife how standing over that lathe just tears your body up. She said why don't you use a stool. Well you explained why.

Joe

JIMinPHX
11-12-2009, 08:29 AM
Rubber mats on the floor do help.

luke777
11-13-2009, 07:42 PM
I found the biggest help was duck-boards. even better than spongy rubber mats in front of the lathe. Use some springy hardwood slats and lay them accross a couple of battons. Move the spacing in and out until you find just the right amount of "give" for your weight and preference then nail or screw them together. I'm only 35 but quite tall and have some trouble with arthritis already. Duck-boards (well that's what the fellas in the machine shop I worked at called them) have helped me a hell of a lot.

I have drawn up some plans for a one stage process gas check maker too but am thinking maybe I need to know what diameter bullet shanks my moulds are going to produce are so I can make checks to suit??? Never used GC'd boolets before so it's all new to me. LOVE casting and shooting. Sometimes I wish I lived over in the U.S. where so many people are casting but then I think.... nah just get to educating and recruiting more peole over here!!!

All the best and I'm gonna keep watching with interest.

Luke

luke777
11-14-2009, 07:24 AM
Learned colleagues...

How much clearance would you advise I allow between the gas check forming die and punch? When cutting the disks out I will make the components with minimal clearance but because I have never made a tool for swaging a thin material like this before so I'd really value your experiences and help.
I plan on using 0.015" material, probably Copper
Kind regards and many thanks .

RP
11-14-2009, 11:51 AM
I would like to say this it great guys and I say thumbs up to all the fellows making tools to help those of us who are unable to. Looks to me everone has some good ideals. But I have to tip my hat to Pat for making them and putting them up for sell. His design may or may not be the best but you can get one of your own. And also thank the others for shareing their ideals I feel in away that is helpful to keep moving forward.

JIMinPHX
11-15-2009, 07:56 PM
Learned colleagues...

How much clearance would you advise I allow between the gas check forming die and punch?

Less than .002", but more than the total combined TIR of your parts. The less the better.