PDA

View Full Version : Help with Taurus model 44

kawalekm
11-02-2009, 11:07 AM
Was shooting my Taurus 44 this weekend when the cylinder just came out of the frame. Wasn't shooting max loads, just some 44 specials. Can't slide the hinge pin all the way in for the cylinder to go back into position. The end of the hinge pin has a plunger/spring on it and think it must engage the trigger mechanism somehow but the exploded diagram in my instruction manual is useless.

Can someone direct me to a website that has assembly/disassembly instructions for Taurus revolvers. I searched last night for one and came up empty.
Michael

GP100man
11-02-2009, 02:34 PM
Look at the side plate & the screw in front of the trigger take it out & look at the tip worn or marred up????if the side plate has been off it`s possible that some 1 has the wrong screw in the wrong hole. 1 should be longer than the others.

Now slide the cyl mech. back in the frame & install screw (a new 1 preferably) The spring pushes on the cyl lock that`s in the bottom of the cyl window

kawalekm
11-07-2009, 12:28 PM
Thanks!
Actually, I got a pictural series for disassembly at http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=22661.0. Had all the pics to explain how to take apart my revolver.

That forward screw was the problem, just as you said. I noticed it was loose as I started disassembly, but didn't know the significance of it at the time. Once I got the sideplate off and I saw the mechanism, I understood what happened. Apparently, the loosened screw allowed the cylinder plunger rod to jump forward under recoil, but was still screwed in enough to prevent if from being pushed back in properly. Once re-assembled, the gun works perfectly now.

By the way, without the pictures, I would have no hope of re-assembling the revolver properly, so anyone should make sure you have printed instructions before ever attempting something like this. I feel great though that I did it myself and that I save a gunsmithing bill!
Michael