PDA

View Full Version : Swaging Die

warf73
11-02-2009, 03:23 AM
I really want to make my own bullets and this seems to be a cheap way to get started but I feel there is more needed. Take a look at this auction and please fill me in.

http://cgi.ebay.com/7MM-Caliber-Rifle-Bullet-Swaging-Die_W0QQitemZ260382838929QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?hash=item3ca006d091

Thanks Warf

elk hunter
11-02-2009, 10:29 AM
Go to either of the Corbin web sites and read what they have to say. Based on the wording of the ebay add, I don't think I would buy as it is only one die, a point former, and for semi wad cutter bullets?

Read over the post in this section and then check around your area, there is probably someone that makes their own jacketed bullets that would give you some advice and or a lesson or two.

Cannoneer
11-02-2009, 12:03 PM
Your best bet is to chech out Dave Corbin's site. Get his books and read what is involved. I bought a bunch of swaging equipment from him back in the late 1980's and it was one of the best investments I've ever made. It will an expensive outlay of money at first, but you will get back what you put out in a short period of time if you shoot a lot.

If you have friends that shoot the same caliber as you, you might be able to do some horse trading using your jacketed bullets as trading material.

Bullshop
11-02-2009, 02:09 PM
I have a bunch of the Dave Corbin books for sale/trade.

Rhoa4396
11-02-2009, 03:45 PM
I've bought from Dave in the past and have never been sorry. I've also seen the e-bay add you mention and sent a message asking a simple question..... I guess I was not important enough to get an answer. I figure if I'm ignored when they're asking me for $$, I'm going to have a worse time if something is wrong with the dies after they've been paid.

Ken R

MIBULLETS
11-02-2009, 10:01 PM
These dies will make good bullets if you want a semi-wad cutter type bullet for your gun. If you want a normal looking rifle bullet you need at least a two die set, a core seater and a point former. To make them even better add a core forming die to make your core weights consistent as possible.

MIBULLETS
11-02-2009, 10:18 PM
Bullshop, sent you a PM.

warf73
11-04-2009, 05:13 AM
I've done alot of reading on the Corbin site (even have it bookmarked) and that was part of the reason the ebay auction caught my attion. It was very cheap compaired to corbin in price and all of corbin stuff was in 2 die sets +.
As for swaging in my area I know of 0 people that are doing it. I only know of 3 guys that cast and I got them into it. All the people I know that shoot buy comerical cast or factory jacketed.
I'll keep looking for swaging dies and maybe I'll find a set of what I want.

Thanks all for your replys.

Warf