PDA

View Full Version : Arbor Press

Bradley
11-01-2009, 08:44 PM
What is an arbor press used for?

Powderpacker
11-01-2009, 08:53 PM
The smaller ones are used for the L. E. Wilson dies. You can find the dies and presses here:
www.sinclairintl.com

RayinNH
11-01-2009, 09:04 PM
Originally for pressing arbors(shafts) onto gears or bearings. A press used for situations that don't call for a full blown hydraulic press but need more finesse than a big hammer :grin: . They can also be used for some bending and punching operations. Very good for checking fit in dies before being inserted into a powerful press that could destroy them if something is amiss...Ray

Idaho Sharpshooter
11-02-2009, 01:45 AM
back in the late forties, the original ones were converted from the rigs homebrewers used to cap beer bottles with.

Rich

stephen perry
11-02-2009, 02:15 AM
Bradley

An arbor press in the reloading field is any frame with a gear driven shaft that allows a shooter to size cases with dies or seat bullets with different dies. Sinclair has one in his catalogue. They are simple tools and brand name makes no difference as they all do the same thing. I have 2 one a homemade small and light fits in a shooting box. My other is twice as big twice as heavy and I pack it in my box that holds c-clamps, aluminum plates for my range reloading table, and tools like channel locks and plastic hammer.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR :brokenima

Wayne Smith
11-02-2009, 10:01 AM
Pressing together wooden barrel pens, compressing bp into cases, and sizing .22 cartridges in Paco Kelly's sizer die. I've used it to pop out pins and to re-set them. I have used it in other ways I can't think of now. I've had it about 12 years. 1 Ton Arbor Press from Harbor Freight.

TAWILDCATT
11-02-2009, 12:12 PM
used in machine shops to press bearings in to parts.I have used 60 ton press to straighten piston shafts and to flatten heavy steel plate.also to form parts.
go to harbor freight and look up arbor press.I would have taken a picture,if I had seen this post 1/2 hr ago.and you can make a loading press which I did ys ago,instead of hammering the cases in dies[hand dies.]mine is 1/2 ton.:coffeecom

44man
11-02-2009, 12:44 PM
Many BR dies will not screw into a reloading press and are designed to be used in an arbor press. Some operations like bullet seating are actually done by hand, no press needed.
I had special dies made that I can use in my RCBS Big Max press, in place of an arbor press. It can be made to work because the portion that holds the shell holder can be unscrewed from the ram.

montana_charlie
11-02-2009, 02:57 PM
Many things...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arbor_press

CM

David2011
11-02-2009, 03:19 PM
Magma Engineering, the Star lubrisizer people, modify one to resize rimless cartridges that have been fired in Glocks and other semiautos that bulge the case as well as brass from automatic weapons. It has a modified Dillon carbide sizing die that's been diamond honed to remove the taper and a semi-automatic loading system to move the cases into position. It makes .40 S&W range brass from Glocks useable in anything again and since it's a push-through sizer it resizes the entire cartridge. I'm giong to try to adapt my Dillon case feeder to it to speed up operations.