PDA

View Full Version : Waste oil furnace

Boondocker
11-01-2009, 05:22 PM
I was reading in this old pot thread and ran across Rhubarbs furnace. I says self you gots to have one of them. I do some side work in my garage and end up with plenty of drain oil motor and trans fluid. Plus I love gadgets and tinkering. I had some left over diamond 1/8in. plate and angle iron. I have $7.00 in this project. Today I rendered 1 1/2 buckets of ww. in 3 hrs. This works alot better than my turkey fryer and faster since the heat is intrapped in the oven. Plus the used oil is cheap as my wife calls me, I say I am frugal lol. Click the linked to check out my pictures.:drinks:

http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c277/boondocker6/Casting%20furnace/

:castmine:

sheepdog
11-01-2009, 05:39 PM
Motor oil + fire = lots and lots of white smoke. Might as well make a furnace that runs on old tires or plastic soda bottles.

StarMetal
11-01-2009, 06:20 PM
Motor oil + fire = lots and lots of white smoke. Might as well make a furnace that runs on old tires or plastic soda bottles.

That's not what I heard. There is a special burner, nothing elaborate or scientific, that burns the oil pretty efficiently. The oil drips to be burnt and a plate is arranged that get very very hot that helps consume the oil almost entirely.

Here's one type:

http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_library/ethanol_motherearth/me4.html

Joe

Boondocker
11-01-2009, 06:26 PM

Well too the contrary very little smoke as the fire is hot enough. Now throw away those smoke producing firearms,throwing that nasty lead and go back to saving the planet sheepdog!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its not all right with you if someone else is doing it.:groner:

The10mmKid
11-01-2009, 06:27 PM
A+ Way' to smelt on the cheap . . . . I mean frugal Boon.

How much effort was made to keep it burning right?

You are really confusing your neighbors. 1st the lead and burning tire smell . . . . now some oil smoke for flavor.:-)

If I had diamond plate laying around, I'd be right with 'ya.

Thanks for the pics too,
'da Kid

Boondocker
11-01-2009, 06:46 PM
A+ Way' to smelt on the cheap . . . . I mean frugal Boon.

How much effort was made to keep it burning right?

You are really confusing your neighbors. 1st the lead and burning tire smell . . . . now some oil smoke for flavor.:-)

If I had diamond plate laying around, I'd be right with 'ya.

Thanks for the pics too,
'da Kid

Your welcome Kid I enjoyed building it. I set the flow with the ball valve to a fast drip, once you get it going it roars and burns quite clean as some dont seem to believe or care. Smoke is no worse than someone heating with fuel oil, coal or wood. No tires or plastics involved. Neighbors are far enough away and I dont gripe about their vices nor they mine. :castmine::castmine:

GabbyM
11-01-2009, 07:15 PM
Good looking stove their Boondocker. I can't quite figure out the pot setup. I know I'm slow but what's the big handle for?

Boondocker
11-01-2009, 07:29 PM
Thanks Gabby I made the pot out of 5" truck exhaust pipe with 1/8 plate welded to the bottom. It is 8" deep and removable for pouring into to ingot molds. I ladle till below 1/2 then pour with the handles. I made a spout in it with a ball peen and oxy-acy.:-D

Three44s
11-01-2009, 11:01 PM
Frugal is GOOD!

And your are recycling too!

Your low emissions look very good from my house!

Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing your idea!!!!

Three 44s

docone31
11-01-2009, 11:09 PM
A lot of resteraunts, when they change oil, pay to have it hauled off. It cannot be made food grade again.
Where I have my shop, they had three five gallon plastic containers each week. They were fanatic about keeping the fryer clean.
There are alternatives to engine oil. However, I knew someone who had an oil furnace. He had made it and it was in a 55 gallon drum. It did not take much oil to make lots of heat, and it had almost no visible smoke after it was up to temp. He heated that way for years.

TAWILDCATT
11-02-2009, 05:06 PM
I had a sears pot burner furnace for 20 yrs or more.when the power went off for week I was the only one with furnace heat.That is what you have.mine used kerosene.[range oil]it was manual and electric.a frend had a used oil commercial stove for his garage.I dont suppose there cheap.but they are to run.
you did good.:coffee:

phatman
12-20-2009, 10:22 PM
Look up Babington Burner
I've got a buddy that uses one to smelt aluminum.

John

Winger Ed.
12-22-2009, 02:10 AM
Used to know a guy who heated his shop with something like that.

He took a old gas water heater, cut the top off, filled it with scrap Iron & Steel car engine parts, then welded the top back on. It must have weighed about a ton.
He cut a few air intake holes near the bottom, set up a waste oil drip going into it, and ran the chimney up & out.

After awhile it'd be almost red hot, but no smoke or fumes came inside the shop from it.

atr
12-22-2009, 06:47 AM
we use alot of used oil heaters around here ,,,very very efficient ...no smell, clean...manufactures have really made some nice units with up to date technology.

Ron B.
12-24-2009, 04:11 PM
Hey Boondocker!
I think you did just fine. Just don't let those folks in Copenhagen, or whereever they are on your property! They will max you out on Cap-n-Trade! You could always name that thing your OBAMA-Boomer!

Also, like the way you positioned your bucket; the one containing the oil. Just another use for the old backyard grill! :kidding:

GRB

legend
12-24-2009, 06:50 PM
your pics look great!

mother earth news has one you can look at on thier site also,you could download directions for a second one.

303Guy
12-24-2009, 09:54 PM
Way to go Boondocker !:drinks:

I developed a waste engine oil burner/heater once. Mine produced zero visible smoke. Actually, it used the incinerator principle. I figured out an oil flow control system but never actually got that far. Good to see that you have!

P.S. StarMetal, you are a minefield of knowledge, experience and information!:drinks:
(Misquote intended!:mrgreen:)

Boondocker
12-26-2009, 01:31 PM
Thanks Guys

I just love to tinker and I have a load of lead to render. This is more cost effective than propane. I am thinking of adding regulated compressed air to the mix and see if I can boost the btu's up. ON 12/30/09 is my last day of work as they are closing my department at work, so I will have some time to mess with it.:castmine: Boon