PDA

View Full Version : Swaged bullets how good do they shoot

1bluehorse
11-01-2009, 04:48 PM
I'm thinking I would like to start bullet swaging however I'm concerned about shooting pure lead...I've been casting for a number of years and finally settled on a bhn of 10 to 12 as my target number. My concern is bullet performance and leading issues. I know a lot of variables can come into play here, but can you give me an idea how swaged bullets will compare with the harder alloys in the same parameters. And will the use of gas checks improve the performance attainable with pure lead? I'm probably on a pretty broad spectrum here but generalities are acceptable at this point. What I cast for are 45 colt, 44sp and 44mag and 357mag. keeping things to around 1,000fps. a little higher on the 357. Thanks.

ANeat
11-01-2009, 05:53 PM
You may want to try some "commercial" swaged in your application and see how it goes.

Ive had good results with commercial swaged at 800fps in 45acp.

Someone like Hornady that sells them.

https://www.hornady.com/shop/?ps_session=b5560abfc2e9ee4b6c826a989e593220&page=shop%2Fbrowse&category_id=66855f022e7202b514199aa3555e8682

StarMetal
11-01-2009, 06:23 PM
Theoretically swaged bullets should be more perfect then cast, for one because they have no voids in them. They can't be swaged from too hard an alloy because it's hard on the swaging equipment. They are normally low velocity loads, like target loads. I imagine a few can be driven fast, but then you will end up eventually leading the barrel.

Joe

Buckshot
11-02-2009, 01:45 AM
...........An unjacketed swaged lead slug has to 1) Have it's lube grooves rolled in after swaging, such as low velocity target slugs, or 2) Be produced in a 3 part die generally requiring precisely weighed cores in order to work correctly (and mucho bucks).

Simple swage dies work great for jacketed bullets or for producing smooth sided slugs for paper patching. Trying to swage a GG slug in a simple swage die can work. That is until you have to get the boolit out. On the other hand you CAN swage, or bump existing cast boolits up in OD or alter their shape to some degree.

http://www.fototime.com/069CB1A7DC6AF34/standard.jpg

These boolits were all reshaped via swaging. The parent design is to the left of each altered slug.

http://www.fototime.com/350C9999B0095F7/standard.jpg

Further examples. Again the parent slug is to the left of each altered design. Note, the 2 samples on the extreme left were actual smooth lead cores to begin with. In their current condition you could probably roll in shallow LG's or very easily paper patch them. Via this method there are no real limitations to the nose shape or making a solid or hollow base design, although due to certain factors lube grooves can move. As noted in the top example, the alloy was WW or a bit harder.

.................Buckshot

Cannoneer
11-02-2009, 04:49 PM
I'm thinking I would like to start bullet swaging however I'm concerned about shooting pure lead...I've been casting for a number of years and finally settled on a bhn of 10 to 12 as my target number. My concern is bullet performance and leading issues. I know a lot of variables can come into play here, but can you give me an idea how swaged bullets will compare with the harder alloys in the same parameters. And will the use of gas checks improve the performance attainable with pure lead? I'm probably on a pretty broad spectrum here but generalities are acceptable at this point. What I cast for are 45 colt, 44sp and 44mag and 357mag. keeping things to around 1,000fps. a little higher on the 357. Thanks.

When you get around to buying your dies, get the base guard set-up. That way you can swage pure lead with a copper washer stuck to the bottom that wil ride the grooves and schape out any lead you might deposit with the lead bullets. It would also be adviseable to tumble lube your bullets in a diluted solution of Lee's Liguid Alox or equivilant.

swage86
11-14-2009, 07:53 AM
You'd want to consider knurling the bullets as well. The 358 wadcutters I made from the Corbin dies I've got up for sale shot fantastic. They were made from 1% cable sheathing, knurled and rolled in Lee Liquid Alox. No leading at 800fps. I only shot 38 special target loads so I can't comment on jacking up the velocity.

mpmarty
12-10-2009, 08:08 PM
Back in the sixties I swaged 9mm bullets with copper half jackets and drove them at speeds in excess of 1200fps out of my 38/45 conversion. Devastating on jack rabbits:lovebooli

edit to add: all the filler material was lead wire, dead soft.