PDA

View Full Version : pistols for boolits

Newtire
10-31-2009, 08:06 PM
Got a great deal today to the tune of a Stevens tip-up model #41 and $45 for 2k of .357 boolits I made for a guy. Happy on both ends of the deal.

It's from our GB 180 RF and he says it's the most accurate thing going in his Marlin .357, his S & W Model 27 and now a new Desert Eagle in .357 mag.

targetshootr
10-31-2009, 08:24 PM
I don't think Desert Eagles are made to shoot cast boolits if it's ported. what caliber is the pistola?

Newtire
10-31-2009, 09:51 PM
I don't think Desert Eagles are made to shoot cast boolits if it's ported. what caliber is the pistola?

The Desert Eagle is a .357 magnum. I hear alot of things about guns not made to shoot cast but this one does just fine.

I don't know what you mean by ported..if you mean that is is gas operated, yes it is. There is a piston below the barrel that I could see. It has a killer rotating bolt with alot of locking lugs like a rifle even. I noticed that the rifling is the polygonal type.

He put close to 100 rounds thru it today without a hitch. The load was 12.5 grains of 2400. The velocity was 1135-1155 fps according to the Chrony. This is the same load he shoots in the Marlin and in his Smith & Wesson.

Just to let you know, this one shoots cast great. Anything I should know to the contrary to tell him? I will if there's something dangerous or whatever. Always good to have a second opinion.

Maybe that thing about them not shooting cast is like the thing where a Marlin with micro-groove rifling won't shoot? There are alot of myths out there I know. After all, I shoot lots of cast in my M1 carbine and the ports don't get plugged up like some folks think.

targetshootr
10-31-2009, 10:23 PM
A guy had one at the range several months ago and said cast lead would build up in the ports, iirc. Huge gun in a huge caliber. The fun factor looked high but not sure about the practical factor. There's another thread around here that mentions something about them and cast boolits.

2ndAmendmentNut
10-31-2009, 10:37 PM
The Desert Eagle is a .357 magnum. Just to let you know, this one shoots cast great. Anything I should know to the contrary to tell him? I will if there's something dangerous or whatever. Always good to have a second opinion.

Like any gas operated gun with cast, a little lead “in theory” should end up in the gas system. Not a big deal, just clean the gas system on occasion. However I have “heard” that the gas system on a Desert Eagle is "impossible" to clean do to the design. If you can't clean the lead out of your gas system you “could” have major reliability problems.

Notice all the “quotes” I have no first hand experience with DE and cast, just repeating what I have been told.

Newtire
11-01-2009, 01:07 AM
I'll be sure to hear about anything bad that happens so will be interesting to see what happens.

Suo Gan
11-01-2009, 03:05 AM
So that neat little tip up, and $45? You know that's a dead mans hand you won that gun on right? You better send me the Stevens to be on the safe side...

Newtire
11-01-2009, 11:06 AM
I'll just remember to always take the seat with my back to the wall. What was Bill thinkin!?