PDA

View Full Version : 1st Time using Trail Boss... any help appreciated

GRid.1569
10-31-2009, 04:00 PM
Got my first tub of Trail Boss as I thought the idea of a high volume powder / light charges might be a good idea in .357 brass...

I'm looking to load 115grn WC (lyman mold) for revolver and 158RNFP (Lee mold) for a Marlin 1894 ...

Lookin' for really tight groups (I'm a Target Shooter) Any recommended loads?

TIA

TDC
10-31-2009, 11:49 PM
Not much experimentation with it yet for .357 that I've seen.

I've used it with both .44 mag and 500S&W light loads and love the stuff. It actually makes a 500 shooting 440 gr boolits feel like you're shooting a .38 Special with wad cutters. Others I know looking for plinker loads for large caliber, major recoil magnums are thrilled with Trail Boss.

It's wonderful for those two calibers if looking for plinker loads. You generally don't need to worry about a double charge and it does a great job of filling the case when seeking low velocity loads.

It does seem to be a bit more expensive per pound than others but I like it. Wish I could help you with .357 loads. I'd certainly advise you to try it and let us know what you think about it.....:drinks:

GP100man
11-02-2009, 02:16 PM
check out hodgdons site for info .

That lite wc is iffy with it though. May have to go with a qwiker powder.

Dang !! went back & looked in rifle data no listing for TB ?????

May want to look at CAS sites they use a bunch of TB so i hear.

Hodgdon 913-362-9455 usually a nice bunch to talk to !

muleequestrian
11-02-2009, 02:51 PM
MY experience with Trail Boss is this : figure out how far down in the case your boolit seats. Then fill the case up to the point where the base of your boolit rests, without tamping it down. Weight this charge... it's your MAXIMUM. Multiply this weight by .7 and this is your STARTING charge. ie 70 % is what you're looking for. Works for me ! NO pressure problems with anything I loaded so far.

peter nap
11-07-2009, 09:51 AM
MY experience with Trail Boss is this : figure out how far down in the case your boolit seats. Then fill the case up to the point where the base of your boolit rests, without tamping it down. Weight this charge... it's your MAXIMUM. Multiply this weight by .7 and this is your STARTING charge. ie 70 % is what you're looking for. Works for me ! NO pressure problems with anything I loaded so far.

That doesn't work on the large cases like the 45/70. I got the same advice from the Tech and did so in my 45/70.

It wa pointed out here that the burning rate was very close to Red Dot and my load of 17 grains (Not max by the formula) was unsafe. After some checking and calling the company back, I found that is Correct.

It's nice to use, shoots well and is as clean as any powder I've used...but treat it like bulky Red Dot.