PDA

View Full Version : Black powder load in my Ruger SBH

Maven
10-31-2009, 03:00 PM
Curiousity got the better of me last week when I decided to try Goex FFFg in my Ruger SBH with a 10.5" bbl. I loaded 10 rounds with 27.0 grs. (by weight) of FFFg under a Ly. #429421 lubed with Ox-Yoke BP lube (stick lube for a lube sizer, but a bit stiffer than Wonder Lube; wintergreen smell)*. The CB's were "sized" to .432", roll crimped and touched off with Win. LP primers. Here are those results + a few others chronographed the same day for comparison (roll crimps on all):

27 grs. Goex FFFg, compressed -> 799 fps +-18 fps; ES was 52 (new Starline brass); Ly. 429421.

17.2 grs. WC 820 (Shuz' load) -> 1,275 fps +- 32 fps; ES was 114 (2x fired Starline brass); Ly. 429421, but Fed. LP mag. primers. Excellent accuracy!

8 grs. Unique -> 1,069 fps +- 17 fps; ES was 49 (4x fired Starline brass); RCBS 44-250-K; Win. LP primers.

8 grs. Unique -> 1,116 +-12 fps; ES was 36; B & M ~269 gr. WC; Win. LP primers.

For the BP load, I fired 5 shots, then swabbed the bore with Winchester Sutler's "Moose Milk," fired the remaining 5 and cleaned the revolver with the same solution. I was surprised by how filthy it got, enough so that I almost wished for the relative cleanliness of Bullseye! It also became quite warm to the touch. Accuracy was about the same as I normally experience with the Lyman and RCBS [plain based] Keith CB, the only difference being where they hit on my 25 yd. target: ~3" higher than the load with Unique. Were I to try this again, I think I'd up the charge to 30 grs. and compress the charge a bit more.

The other loads have always been excellent performers, but I was surprised by how fast the B & M 269 gr. WC's were pushed by a mere 8 grs. of Unique. It's accuracy and full caliber meplat would make it an ideal short range hunting bullet. Lastly, this particular SBH had none of the Ruger QC problems that others have experienced except perhaps a so-so trigger (since corrected). In fact, it's quite pleasant to shoot.

*These were old stock that I got at a good price from the Kittery Trading Post years ago. I don't know whether the new owners of Ox-Yoke (have an ad in the Nov. '09 "Muzzle Blasts") will offer it.

Catshooter
11-01-2009, 12:09 AM
250 grains at ~ 800 fps? Yea, that'd leave a mark. Interesting.

Cat

August
11-01-2009, 03:44 AM
I shoot revolvers with black powder almost every weekend. I have been doing so for the past, two years. After a while, it becomes "normal" to use these guns with the materials and processes that they originally employed. Smokeless powder becomes unusual and difficult to manage and clean.

It is really a journey of historical discovery. I've found that other people who are on the same path are the best source of information, as much of what is printed is rigid and suites a single purpose rather than my own set of issues and problems.

Black powder is very forgiving of changes in process and application. The guns really like it and, truth be told, so do I. It brings out the full potential for accuracy of many of the straight-walled, high volume cartridges.

However, I agree, Unique also performs amazingly well.