PDA

View Full Version : Converted my LNL AP this morning

oldhickory
10-31-2009, 12:48 PM
I was on the phone with Hornady a few days ago and just sorta mentioned I would like to get a do it yourself kit to convert my 2nd generation LNL AP to to the newer EZ-JECT system. "No problem!" They say, "$29.95 for the 2nd generation conversion, in stock."

I got it yesterday and installed it this morning. Easy to do, only thing the instructions didn't cover was, dealing with an automatic case feeder. Simple to do though, just snap the cam wire out of the top recess and slip the plate up and out of it.

I only had one shell plate of early manufacture that wouldn't work with the EZ- JECT plate so I ordered it's replacement at the same time...The EZ-JECT works a whole lot better than the older wire eject! $29.95 well spent!...I may have thought about it if I would have had to replace ALL my shell plates at almost $30.00 each though.

All in all, it's a great up-grade at a reasonable price and easy to do.[smilie=s:

August
10-31-2009, 06:26 PM
Hornady will modify your old shell plates for 10 bucks. Call them to get the process rolling.

oldhickory
10-31-2009, 08:25 PM
I only had 0ne old style, and that's the one I wanted to use this weekend. I just bought a new one so as not to crimp my reloading time, and I know a guy that needs my old one, so it's a win either way.:-)

Lloyd Smale
11-01-2009, 07:01 AM
ive got two of the newer ez ejects and one of the older ones and for what its worth in my opinion the older version seems to be less troublesome and allows more latitude as to what rounds can be loaded with the same shell plate. take for instance 45acp/308. the old style allows you to use the same plate where with the new style you have to buy a seperate plate for each. The only time the wire system gives me any problems at all is with bigger cases like the 4570 and if it doesnt eject cleanly just a flick of the finger takes care of it. Im probably the minority though as hornady had to have had a bunch of complaints or id guess they wouldnt have spent the money to reengineer it. Best hold on to your old parts as another thing i can see is that ejection boss wearing down over the years.

oldhickory
11-01-2009, 09:10 AM
You have a good point on the boss wearing down over time, Lloyd. I guess we'll find out. As for myself, I tried every tension, position, bend, pressure on the lever, and even cut of the wire eject and it still bound the press up most of the time. I'll be holding on to my old plate though, just as you suggested. So far I've only run some .30 Carbine through it and it seems to work a whole lot better than the wire eject with them, although I did have a few that fell backwards onto the shell plate. I'll try some .45 ACP and .308 today, maybe even a few .223.:-D

oldhickory
11-01-2009, 03:10 PM
Lloyd, are you sure you had the retainer spring in the groove properly? I tried all my shell plates, even mixed .45 ACP, .30/06, and .308 on the #1 plate and everything worked worked fine. If the spring is'nt in the groove of the base plate where it ejects, it won't work very well at all.

Hunter
11-02-2009, 12:37 AM
I like the E-Z Ject system better than the ejector wire system
Here is an article I wrote on the new press for the m1911.org ezine.
http://ezine.m1911.org/HornadyEZject.htm

20nickels
11-02-2009, 12:58 AM
Converted mine early this year, Ejects perfectly in .38 and .45 Auto.

Lloyd Smale
11-02-2009, 07:11 AM
mine wouldnt, at least on the press i tried it on. I never tried the other ez eject press i have though. With a #45 plate it works fine with 45s though. could be that the bosses are slightly differnt heights on some of the presses.
Lloyd, are you sure you had the retainer spring in the groove properly? I tried all my shell plates, even mixed .45 ACP, .30/06, and .308 on the #1 plate and everything worked worked fine. If the spring is'nt in the groove of the base plate where it ejects, it won't work very well at all.

20nickels
11-03-2009, 01:51 PM
Hornaday warned me to carefully and properly place the spring in for functioning with the EZject. Not a big deal if you know how. Everything I've used with plates #1, #45, and #6 have cycled and ejected flawlessly.

50calshooter
11-08-2009, 09:36 PM
The new 45 acp plate was made for people who used range brass as the brass varied in size to much. As I had the problem and talked to hornady. I have the old style and new press. I welded 1/4 on the wire length were it attaches to the press problem solved.

oldhickory
11-11-2009, 06:18 AM
I've been using the conversion a while now and only have a steady problem with .30 carbine, (I think it's more due to the nature of the little cartridge then anything to do with the press). The press seems to want to properly eject them into the bin, but the loaded cartridges want to more or less pop straight up and land on the shell plate about half of the time. Maybe due to the heavy 130gr. Lyman 311410 boolit?