PDA

View Full Version : Mauser Cast

stephen perry
10-31-2009, 12:31 PM
I turned my pot on this morning to cast somemore RCBS 8mm-170-FN. I cast 10 of these the other night and weighed them 9 weighed 179-180 one weighed 171. Don't ask me alloy or DIA I ain't there yet and I'm not a technocrat caster I'm a shooter/caster.

The Mauser of which I have a few commercial and military of which I am casting for is a stamped 1944 Turkish Mauser of which I have 3. I like the carbine model the best. It has a 24" barrel weighs 8.5 lb and has a turned down bolt. If I was a Turk and had a choice I would have shot and carried this model instead of the other 2 I have, the longer military. The other are stuffed with cosmo and I have worked on cleaning the gunk out but takes time. My carbine had no cosmo and I gave it my old Hoppes cleaning several times now it is as clean as new. Naturally the first Hoppes patches came out blak full of sand. Ater 10 wet patches I brushed with Hoppes several tmes and got the rest of the black out I hope. Will start shooting the Carbine after I get several hundred Cast, sized, and lubed. I will start out with a .323 Lyman H&I and try and match one of my top punches to the bullet. For those interested seems there are a few Yugo Mausers at retail stores now. Not interested as I am waiting for my Arizona friend to get me an 03A3.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

Ricochet
10-31-2009, 02:46 PM
I love the old long Turks, even the rough-as-a-corrncob 1944 I have, with muzzle badly belled from excessive and rough cleaning, and which had the rifling completely hidden by hard dry cosmoline that wouldn't clean out by ordinary means. I'd even shot it with 40-60 rounds of Turkish milsurp ammo on a couple of range trips and cleaned it afterward. Accuracy was nonexistant. Only gentle ripples showed where the grooves and lands should be. I thought the rifling was obliterated by wear and was trying to get the old barrel off to replace it. It was hard to get loose, and when I applied heat with a propane torch, smoke came out the muzzle, some junk fell out of the breech end, and it had rifling!

I'd like to have a Turkish carbine, but haven't run across one.

Mine shoot decently with .323" boolits. I think I'm going to hone out my .323" Lee sizing die to .325-.326" with fine sandpaper around a dowel and see if filling the throats a little better improves things.

bcp477
10-31-2009, 03:36 PM
Just an FYI, in case you're interested. That bullet is the one I shoot through my Yugo M48, though paper-patched. Plain-based, weighing 174 - 175 grains......sized down to 0.314", wrapped with lined notebook paper.....and then sized to 0.323". With 32.5 grains of Hodgdon Benchmark and around 0.5 grains of cotton wool filler, in my 18" cut down M48 barrel....I get just about 2000 fps. Accuracy is marvelous in my rifle.

Ricochet
11-01-2009, 03:30 AM
I just loaded up 50 rounds with the old 8mm Maximum that I cast several years ago out of wheelweights, oven hardened. They're unsized, and I wanted to leave them that way. The "bore rider" part in front of the front band is actually right at .323", and the bands are .327". I used a .30 caliber Lee Factory Crimp Die (this one was for a 7.5x55 Swiss) adjusted to size the gas checks to .328" without sizing the boolit bands. I loaded them over 3.1cc of pulldown 7383. I anticipate feeding problems as I've had before, but I'm very interested in seeing how they'll shoot. Think I'll try them first in my '46 K. Kale which has a wonderfully smooth, slick action (its bolt matches the receiver) and is a good shooter.

Buckshot
11-01-2009, 03:42 AM
http://www.fototime.com/7505257ECA355E4/standard.jpghttp://www.fototime.com/D979C74CEA80FC4/standard.jpg
http://www.fototime.com/A0F9BDA6CE5280B/standard.jpghttp://www.fototime.com/6341720553B1CB7/standard.jpg

...............Your Turk carbine is like this? If so it's a model 38/46, and not 'really' a carbine :-)

http://www.fototime.com/4081B75BF8E1589/standard.jpg

These are the 4 Turkish Mausers I currently have. The top one is a M88/35. A German M1888 commision wearing the Turk M38 stock converted in 1935. This thing weighs a freaking ton, and I can imagine some 5'4" Turkish trooper humping this thing around! It's a shooting essobee. It has a .324" throat, and slugs sized to that will scrape, so I size'm to .323". I figured it had a long throat but surprise ............ the 175gr Lee engraves.

Second down is a M38, but it has an Imperial German receiver and triggerguard, but is otherwise a Turk. It has a barrel very similar to the M88 above it. Shoots exceedingly well with cast sized to .323". The trigger on the M88 isn't bad, but this one is super.

Third one down is the M38/46. I'd designed a heavy 8mm boolit and we did a group buy on it. Design weight was about 240grs but drops at 236grs form common WW alloy.

http://www.fototime.com/95526EC254D5D0C/standard.jpg

The left slug is a NLA Lyman design. Mine in the middle and a group buy for a FN version of the Lee 175gr we did in a 6 cavity. I got this wild hair thinking the 236gr slug oughta do 2300 fps so I used the M38/46 for the effort. I reached it, and was glad the hammering was over. In the process it managed to crack the stock though the mag well and into the wrist, bummer. Some drilling and epoxy has it better then new now.

On the bottom is a concoction of mine. I thought that a shorter Mannlicher stocked thing would be way kewl so I cobbled up an M38 (they were only $69 at the time). I called it, "The Turk that Should Have Been". Danged if the Turks hadn't really made one like it and called it the Model 1905. The major difference is the real M1905 used the M1903 actions and not the M98 'type' actions. I shortened the barrel, shortened the rear sight base and ladder to typical carbine length. Duffle cut the stock under the rear band then re-attached the modified section of the forend. I had to use a new handguard because of the shortened sight, but I don't recall what it was. Since it was supposed to be 'Cavalry' I modified the rear band to accept a side mounted sling swivel and added a sling swivel to the left side of the buttstock.

http://www.fototime.com/8C6D2E7754DBF08/standard.jpghttp://www.fototime.com/0F9B03F30F585C2/standard.jpg

Left is the shortened up sight base with the original length ladder before it got shortened. I fabricated the nosecap out of a couple pieces of scrap, and it turned out pretty nifty. I thought it was pretty cool you could buy a high powered centerfire rifle for $69, but didn't really hold them in very high regard at first. I know some were pretty ratty and others not so bad. My model 38 came with a full compliment of petrified cosmoline with was liberally laced with a fairly substantial amount of Turkish dirt and dust, but cleaned up into a gem.

................Buckshot

Ricochet
11-01-2009, 08:15 AM
Nice looking sling you have on that 38/46.

StarMetal
11-01-2009, 10:44 AM
Nice looking sling you have on that 38/46.

John,

Didn't remember where to stick this picture so going here. These are two of the 8mm heavy weights that I was telling you about in another thread that I got from a now deceased member. The are both the same except for the one having a more blunt nose. The one on the right weights 238 grains like it is, no gas check.

So what are they?
http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg51/starmetal47/8mmBullets.jpg

Joe

Hardcast416taylor
11-01-2009, 11:19 AM
Buckshot. The pictures you posted of your 38/46 Turk Mauser look for the world exactly like my 1918/20 Erfurt small ring Mauser that I paid the princely sum of $39 for back in the early `60`s in a small hardware store that had about a dozen of them.Robert

stephen perry
11-01-2009, 11:47 AM
I do have no 2 and no 3. I called mine a carbine because of its shorter length and didn't think war guns were fancy enough to make a real carbine kinda like a Ruger carbine.

Thanks for the pics and info. Makes me wonder what type of wood are on these Mausers and were they made in Turkish factories. My Guns of the World is sketchy on info for these.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

Ricochet
11-01-2009, 06:52 PM
Joe, the one on the left is the Karabiner. The one on the right is the Maximum. The one I loaded 50 of last night.

StarMetal
11-01-2009, 06:56 PM
Joe, the one on the left is the Karabiner. The one on the right is the Maximum. The one I loaded 50 of last night.

Thanks John,

I figured you'd know what they were. Anyways my Yugo feeds those like butter and their bases don't go below the necks.

Joe

TCLouis
11-01-2009, 09:34 PM
Ricochet
What does 3.1 cc of 7383 weigh?

Ricochet
11-01-2009, 11:36 PM
Makes me wonder what type of wood are on these Mausers and were they made in Turkish factories.
Real Turkish walnut. The ones marked "K. Kale" on the receiver ring with dates from 1940-46 were made in Turkey. Many others were rebuilt and refurbished there.

Ricochet
11-01-2009, 11:38 PM
Ricochet
What does 3.1 cc of 7383 weigh?
I don't normally weigh the stuff, but it seems to me it's something like 41.5 grains. I think 3.4 cc is around 44.5. I could be wrong, but that's close.

Buckshot
11-02-2009, 04:09 AM
"These are two of the 8mm heavy weights that I was telling you about in another thread that I got from a now deceased member."

Thanks John,

I figured you'd know what they were. Anyways my Yugo feeds those like butter and their bases don't go below the necks.

Joe

.............What, Kelly is deseased :-(?

................Buckshot

StarMetal
11-02-2009, 08:35 PM
"These are two of the 8mm heavy weights that I was telling you about in another thread that I got from a now deceased member."

.............What, Kelly is deseased :-(?

................Buckshot

Rick,

No no, Kelly is not deceased. I got those from a fellow up in PA by the first name of George. He's the that has passed on.

Joe