PDA

View Full Version : Sheesh, what happened to Quality???

Nise
10-30-2009, 09:03 PM
Picked up a new Ruger Super Blackhawk, a KS45N, (Stainless 5 1/2"

Boy, what a pretty gun for a single shot! Yep, piece of **** wouldn't let me rotate the cylinder after firing a shot. I thought the timing was really messed up but got looking at the primers then at the recoil plate, KMR02000, and noticed it's recessed .006" The recoil plate pin broke, (I suspect it was fractured or stressed when originally installed, we'll have to see how Ruger does.......

targetshootr
10-30-2009, 09:11 PM
I'm not following you. It looks just like all my Blackhawks.

yondering
10-30-2009, 09:17 PM
targetshootr, if your guns look like that you need to send them back to Ruger. The firing pin bushing shouldn't be recessed like that.

Bummer, Nise. Should be an easy fix for Ruger; ask them to pay shipping.

felix
10-30-2009, 09:19 PM
The plate with the primer hole is too far within the frame. Primer swells back into the recess. ... felix

targetshootr
10-30-2009, 09:25 PM
One of my custom Rugers has a slightly recessed *firing pin bushing* and it's the last gun I'd ever sell.

stubshaft
10-30-2009, 10:04 PM
Too bad Nise,
I know what a disappointment that can be.

jh45gun
10-30-2009, 10:49 PM
Ah an other fine Ruger

dubber123
10-31-2009, 08:08 AM
A friend bought a Taurus snub .357 that had a much deeper indent than yours. His record was 2 Rem. factory .38 Specials before it would tie the gun up tight. A single .357 round would lock it up. Guns are definately assembled by NON-gun people.

Whitworth
10-31-2009, 11:15 AM
S__t happens! Send it back!

Shiloh
10-31-2009, 03:16 PM
S__t happens! Send it back!

Ruger will make it right for you.

They're another stand up company.

Shiloh

jack19512
10-31-2009, 05:25 PM
Ruger will make it right for you.

I'm not sure about that any more. I sent my SBH 44 mag back to them and it was almost 3 months before I got it back. It came back with the very same problem. That's even after I took the time to describe in detail to them what the problem was to begin with. I have to admit I have lost a lot of faith in them.

skeet1
10-31-2009, 05:47 PM
My guess is that your base pin is moving forward under recoil. This is a fairly common problem with a Ruger single action. Under recoil the catch isn't sufficient enough to hold the pin and when it moves forward allowing the transfer bar to catch on the firing pin when you try and cock it for the next shot. If you look at the rear of the base pin there is a small springloaded plunger sticking out of it. This plunger is supposed to hold the transfer bar back and away from the firing pin. when the base pin moves forward it dosent work.

Skeet1

Ricochet
10-31-2009, 06:36 PM
I'm not sure about that any more. I sent my SBH 44 mag back to them and it was almost 3 months before I got it back. It came back with the very same problem. That's even after I took the time to describe in detail to them what the problem was to begin with. I have to admit I have lost a lot of faith in them.The exact same thing happened to me years ago with a Super Single Six Convertible. The elevating screw hole for the rear sight leaf wasn't drilled properly. The hole in the leaf should be enlarged or elongated so the leaf can freely move up and down as the screw is turned, but threads were actually tapped into the leaf, binding it. I sent it back with a letter describing the problem, after having first contacted them by letter and being told to do so. After an extended period, it came back unfixed, with a brief note saying it was repaired. I lost faith in them as well. I had been a big Ruger fan.

jh45gun
10-31-2009, 09:49 PM
I sure hope they get the ball rolling rather quickly, I wanted to use it this season. My dealer told me Ruger typically responds better to end user customers than to the dealers? Thus, he told me to send it in.I sure hope they get the ball rolling rather quickly, I wanted to use it this season.

Which is BS the dealer just does not want to mess with it! I would demand a new gun and let them and Ruger hash it out. No it is not exactly the dealers fault but then they should stand up for what they sell too even if it was Rugers fault first as they are a dealer!

skeet1
10-31-2009, 11:38 PM
Nise,
Sorry I didn't understand. Looking closer at the photo I see what you are talking about. I think I would call Ruger first and see what kind of turnaround time they have. If that dosen't sute you put more pressure on the dealerfor another gun as jh45gun says.

Skeet1

jack19512
11-01-2009, 04:06 PM
I sure hope they get the ball rolling rather quickly, I wanted to use it this season.

I'm not trying to depress you further but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it. First revolver I sent back to them took 6 weeks which was acceptable to me but the second one I sent back took almost 3 months which was not acceptable to me. If they do give you a time line but I don't think they will I wouldn't put any faith in it.

Jack Stanley
11-01-2009, 08:00 PM
Nise , Ya really shoulda bought one of those twenty-nines . I bought one back in eighty-five and shot it so much it wore out two barrels and two cylinders . Smith rebuilt them under their "lifetime" warranty . When they sent it back to me with the third barrel and cylinder on it it was the most beautiful job I'd ever seen Smith do on a gun . If I remember right this was just after the English sold the company . I don't shoot it much anymore but I've been known to just pull it out of the vault and admire it . :smile:

Jack

dubber123
11-01-2009, 08:14 PM
S&W can make **** too. I know, I special ordered one years ago... The lemons have been less frequent than the ones I have gotten from Ruger, but they certainly exist. I loathe buying any gun I can't look over first.

jh45gun
11-01-2009, 08:59 PM
S&W can make **** too. I know, I special ordered one years ago... The lemons have been less frequent than the ones I have gotten from Ruger, but they certainly exist. I loathe buying any gun I can't look over first.

Sure anyone can make a lemon but it seems like Ruger has gotten to the point it is a fine art with them sending out guns that never should have left the factory.I point that out and I am a bad person with the Ruger fans. Well I will tell you what I have had as many Rugers as most anyone in years past, but NO MORE. Sure they are strong that seems to be their only redeeming point. Maybe they ought to sell them as fixer uppers so folks know they have to put money and time into them! Ruger used to make a fine gun but these days it is truly a c**p shoot.

jack19512
11-03-2009, 05:38 AM
thanks for the feedback all, sent it off today. heard smith gives you a RA, (return authorization #), and one friend told me Smith sent the fed ex guy by his house to pick up the defective new weapon he had, (timing was off bad). No such luck w/ Ruger tho.

Well, all I can say is that the guy at Ruger gave you some inaccurate/bad info. Ruger will give you a RA. I got it for both of mine I sent back. They were picked up at my house also.

jh45gun
11-03-2009, 09:00 AM
thanks for the feedback all, sent it off today. heard smith gives you a RA, (return authorization #), and one friend told me Smith sent the fed ex guy by his house to pick up the defective new weapon he had, (timing was off bad). No such luck w/ Ruger tho. The guy on the phone sounded monotone, "well, you could send it back to us and we can take a look at it" "if we determine that anything is wrong then we will take care of it and send it back to you." The guy almost laughed when I asked if Ruger would cover the ship to them charge. Dang, there is a lot to be said for paying the higher premium of some of our local gun shops. I bought a Ruger LCP awhile back. When you'd shoot it the magazine would eject, both new magazines. I called Ruger and they gave me the same story. I took it back to the local shop and they swapped me on the spot, no questions asked. Problem was nobody has been stocking hardly anything anymore, especially the 'hunting caliber blackhawks and super redhawks".

That Sucks that they will not spring for shipping when its their problem. If you got bad advice I would call back and complain. Sounds like Ruger Customer service is getting as lax as their quality control.

Archer
11-03-2009, 10:10 AM
You can get it with any of them.
I bought a uberti 45 colt that
they said was used. After looking it over,
it didn't look like it had ever been fired, which it hadn't.
I went to load it, and the shell wouldn't go into the cylinder
far enough to let the it rotate. Thats why it had never been fired,
it was impossable to fire it. I had to take it to a gunsmith and have all
six chambers reamed so it would rotate. It should never have left the factory
like that, but it did.
I got it at a good price, but I think the dealer knew it had that
problem, and never said a word about it, and thats why I got it
for the price I did. I should have taken it back, but the gunsmith is a friend
of mine, so it didn't cost to much to fix it. So, it isn't just Ruger, it can, and does
happen with any of them.
Hope you have good luck getting yours fixed.

jh45gun
11-03-2009, 12:57 PM
Sure it can happen to any of them but there sure seem to be a LOT of post here complaining about Rugers myself included for the clunkers I had before. I would say Ruger leads the pack by a large margin on complaints from what I have seen here. Too bad you got a bad Uberti mine works flawlessly and I only bought mine after reading the good reviews on the guns.

jack19512
11-03-2009, 06:36 PM
The guy on the phone sounded monotone,

Funny thing is when I had to send my last Ruger off I called them and a gentleman answered the phone and after explaining my problem I asked him if I could get a RA, he said no, they couldn't do that.

After getting off the phone with him the more I thought about it the :mad: madder I got. This was a new revolver and it had two issues. So I called back and a lady answered the phone.

I never even mentioned that I had called about an hour earlier and after explaining to her what the problem was without me even having to ask she said she would send me an RA and the gun would be picked up at my house. It's all in who you talk to at Ruger. :veryconfu

Snobal
11-04-2009, 10:54 AM
Funny thing is when I had to send my last Ruger off I called them and a gentleman answered the phone and after explaining my problem I asked him if I could get a RA, he said no, they couldn't do that.

After getting off the phone with him the more I thought about it the :mad: madder I got. This was a new revolver and it had two issues. So I called back and a lady answered the phone.

I never even mentioned that I had called about an hour earlier and after explaining to her what the problem was without me even having to ask she said she would send me an RA and the gun would be picked up at my house. It's all in who you talk to at Ruger. :veryconfu

Amen!

Last fall when I got a new 4" GP100 and discovered that target wadcutter bullets from it hit sideways at 25 yards --- I called and got the guy....

I was trying to get them to fix the gun --- and finally, he said that I could send it in for them to look at if I wanted to....

After a couple more trips to the range, I got to thinking that maybe the guy didn't understand what I was saying when I told him that wadcutters from this gun were "keyholing."

I called Ruger again and got the Lady. As soon as I explained that factory wadcutters hit sideways at 25 yards --- she told me to box up the gun and that they would pick it up the next day --- and they did.

When Ruger returned the gun, it had a new barrel and came with a list of all the parts they replaced. Wadcutters now cut circles rather than ovals.

I have no complaint about Ruger's Customer Service --- you just have to talk to someone there that understands what you are telling them.....:shock:

jh45gun
11-04-2009, 02:46 PM
ok thats wonderful but how many folks get that GUY and just say to hell with it? Some one like that SHOULD BE FIRED.

Who's this Guy ?
11-04-2009, 07:13 PM
I think the quality from the big companies have gone down the toilet. The old world crafstman are gone. Hand fitting and messing with it until it is right is either a high dollar custom option or not available at all. Someone got it right with non-gun people building guns now. Everything is CNC built to specifications on a computer. " Sir; We don't understand, the tolerances are what the computer says it should be and we don't understnd why it's malfunctioning,the computer says it shouldn't be" Suit and Tie response "Well make it again and more" It is sad to say that probably a dirt floor hut in a village in a country that ends in Stan could make a better product than one of these modern factories. My opinion with Ruger is that after Bill passed on so did the quality.

BOOM BOOM
11-04-2009, 08:24 PM
HI,
Last winter I ran into a guy hiking down through the snow.
He had a bran new S&W 460 that had locked up on the 1st round. Neather he nor I could get it working , he had to go clear back to town & find a gunsmith .

jack19512
11-04-2009, 09:08 PM
I agree that it isn't just Ruger. That is one reason I keep buying Ruger products. I guarantee you if I bought a S&W it would be a total piece of ****. Then I would come on here and do my crying bit only to have a thousand guys come back and tell me how they have never had a problem with any of their S&W products. I just can't win. [smilie=b:

jack19512
11-06-2009, 10:52 PM
She commented how those earlier remarks were "just wrong" and she'd contact the shop supervisor and do everything possible to push it through.

Again, don't hold your breath. She probably has very little pull if any. They are for the most part like politicians, they took patronizing 101 early in their career. The first revolver I sent off took 5 weeks, the second took almost 3 months. I don't know why the second one took so long.

As far as Ruger products go I have owned a lot of them. For some reason the only ones I have had to send back were my last two 44 mags. Ruger 44 mags just don't like me for some reason. I'm still trying to get the last one I sent back to shoot reasonably, just reasonably that's all I ask. If I lived close to 44man I would see what he can do with it. :cry:

jh45gun
11-07-2009, 01:58 AM
Reason I am so down on Rugers Jack is the last two I had were **** too a 44 and a Single Six. Some of you may call me unreasonable but damn it when I put my few nickles I can rub together to buy a gun I expect it to work and be accurate and I do not think that is an unreasonable request to ask. Ruger seems to fail in that request a LOT or their would not be these discussions on the net.

jh45gun
11-10-2009, 04:41 PM
Congrats maybe Ruger is starting to listen especially since they are aware of the bad press they can get on the web.

August
11-10-2009, 06:28 PM
I just got a single six, last week. If the grip frame is centered on the cylinder frame, the hammer binds. It's a piece of doo-doo.

The only good thing you can say about a Roooger is, if you get them running and dimensionally straightened out, they run forever.

IF.

jh45gun
11-10-2009, 11:40 PM
I just got a single six, last week. If the grip frame is centered on the cylinder frame, the hammer binds. It's a piece of doo-doo.

The only good thing you can say about a Roooger is, if you get them running and dimensionally straightened out, they run forever.

IF.

Like I keep saying why this **** leaves the factory leaves a lot to be desired.

jack19512
11-11-2009, 09:14 AM
YEEEHAAAWWW!,I got it today, 8 days after I sent it to them.

That's very good news. let's hope it's good to go. Sure would be nice to hear a good positive story for a change, it has been a long time since the last one. It might even persuade jh45gun to rethink his feeling about Ruger. :bigsmyl2:

jh45gun
11-11-2009, 09:53 AM
I doubt that Jack not when new stories of Rugers screw ups hit the forum like the post August just posted. It was nice that the faster turn around time happened so he can hunt with the gun.

jack19512
11-11-2009, 10:32 PM
It was nice that the faster turn around time happened so he can hunt with the gun.

I hope he can hunt with it now. I waited for almost 3 months to get my last one back and I'm still trying to get it to shoot good enough so I might be able to hunt with it, that is up to and including a distance of 25 yards. I wouldn't even try anything over that distance. [smilie=b: Maybe Nise will give a range report soon.

jh45gun
11-12-2009, 01:44 AM
Well that was the problem with my last two Jack they were not just accurate at all. In fact I was starting to blame myself with my older 50 + year old eyes until I got a copy of a Walther Target pistol that had finer sights then either one of the Rugers and I could shoot that. So that told me nothing wrong with me it was the guns. My Encore 45 colt/410 pistol that every one says that barrel does not shoot well due to the longer chamber will shoot into a 2 inch circle all day long at 25 yards now that I put better sights on it. ( Williams Slugger sights. Fiber optic) I would have no issue shooting a deer with it. I got to spend more time with my Uberti 45 colt, but now that I know how to sight with it I am more that satisfied with it too. I am satisfied I could kill a deer with it at 25 yards no problem.

bobke
11-12-2009, 08:48 AM
as a ruger owner and also a manufacturer, i want to see ruger improve their quality assurance program, in the worst way. six sigma protocols, if you were to view yourself as a real world, state of the art manufacturer, say you aim to reduce error, at every stage of the build, to as near zero as possible. given ruger's volumes, i'm thinking they're not close to 3 or 4 sigma.

and from the floor, i can only say that it costs a lot more for rework than to assure a quality product goes out the door built properly, first time. how much do you really save doing things twice? or thrice? unfortunately, for myself and others, we're on the receiving end of ruger's absence to real quality control.

if the accountants and pr folks up there would realize the shooting public wants ruger to succeed, maybe even more so than they do, and that you could actually sell more guns if built right, first time-every time, and that you wouldn't have this public perception that you don't seem to care about quality, they'd actually make more money than just pushing volume out the door, their current state of affairs.

rant over.

jack19512
11-12-2009, 09:12 AM
My Encore 45 colt/410 pistol that every one says that barrel does not shoot well due to the longer chamber will shoot into a 2 inch circle all day long at 25 yards now that I put better sights on it.

My recently purchased used Contender 45/410 also did quite well with the first cast I shot through it. I was quite pleased. I cannot get my Ruger SBH 44 mag to shoot well at all from 25 yards. I recently did the Tubbs final finish on it but don't know if it helped any or not yet. I plan on shooting it some more today and find out. I am tired of fooling with this revolver and wasting powder, primers and lead. I have tried everything I know, if something doesn't change shortly it is gonna have a new home somewhere else. :x

jh45gun
11-12-2009, 09:21 AM
From the way you describe things Jack the old saying you cannot make a silk purse out of a sows ear applies to that Ruger. I felt the same way about the several Rugers I had that did not shoot. I have had several that did so I know the difference. I sure wish I would have kept the good ones. Now I would be afraid to buy an other unless I could shoot it first of course you cannot do that with a new one and the last used one I bought shot for beans so I figure that is why it was used so that makes me leary too.

BLTsandwedge
11-12-2009, 05:21 PM
Can't say I own a Ruger- shot plenty of 'em though. Quality or no, you've got to admire this during a miserable M***F*** of a recession:

http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=RGR#chart1:symbol=rgr;range=2y;indicator =split+volume;charttype=line;crosshair=on;ohlcvalu es=0;logscale=on;source=undefined

And it still looks cheap!

Tom

jh45gun
11-12-2009, 06:23 PM
That chart does not relate to how well or not they are made just that they are selling well but since Obama took office every gun makers chart would look positive.

jack19512
11-12-2009, 08:23 PM
I got to do some shooting today and came away with some optimism. I did the Tubbs final finish a short while back and followed the instructions exactly and 44man posted he didn't use magnum primers for the 44 mag and stated the magnum primers opened up his groups. I hope I am remembering this correctly.

Anyway, I shot a 6 shot group with my cast and it's the best by far I have shot to date. It was approximately slightly larger than 2 inches from a distance of 25 yards. I actually shot two six shot groups. My cast was loaded exactly the same for the 12 rounds except 6 rounds I used lube I purchased from this site and the other 6 rounds I used LLA for lube.

The group using the LLA was slightly better than the group using the other lube. Could mean nothing, could have been just me I don't know. I can't make any conclusions from just 12 rounds as far as the lube goes. I will have to do more testing. I know this still isn't great shooting but the Ruger SBH 44 mag has at least won a reprieve for now. With some load work I might be able to shrink these groups. :D

jh45gun
11-13-2009, 09:36 AM
NISE I do not own a Ruger anymore. I doubt if I ever will again. I figure I do not need to hotrod the 45 Colt for whitetails and my load of 8 grains of Unique will do nicely for whitetails in both my Uberti Cattleman and my Encore 45/410 barrel.

bisleyfan41
11-13-2009, 10:14 PM
Ain't this horse dead already?
Good grief.

bigboredad
11-13-2009, 11:36 PM
I own 6 ruger handguns and two rifles presently and over the years I can't ever remember getting a bad one and In fact would like to have them all back and considering the sad state of the economy i think ruger is doing s fine job at getting guns out to the public and that means someone showed with a hangover or was mad at something and didn't quite do his job but I wonder how many of us have gone to work with a hang over or was just mad and had a didn't care attitude or a Friday all you could think about was getting off work and how many of you have had your work be sub par because of this

dubber123
11-14-2009, 05:33 AM
well bored,
Yes mistakes do happen, but if I told a customer I'll get their new product fixed somewhere betwen 3-8wks I'd never get another job with them. I think it goes back to professionalism and pride in the work you do. Seeing a degradation in American workmanship does seem to go along with everything else nowadays, but I don't like seeing it. If you got a hangover, GO HOME! Better to take the time off then put out a piece of crud, (or twenty), then cost your company ten times the expense to fix your "hangover mistake".

Well, I shot it and everything held together. It was around zero degrees outside w/ a nasty biting fog thick in the air. (I wasn't about to sit down and see what kind of group I could get). I got the sights pretty close at 30yds, fired just over 25rnds through it. Working up a good load will take some time.

I was looking for a mold similiar to Lymans 429421 but with a gas check? Ideas?

The 429244 is probably the one you are looking for.

Tazman1602
11-14-2009, 07:31 AM
if the accountants and pr folks up there would realize the shooting public wants ruger to succeed, maybe even more so than they do, and that you could actually sell more guns if built right, first time-every time, and that you wouldn't have this public perception that you don't seem to care about quality, they'd actually make more money than just pushing volume out the door, their current state of affairs.
rant over.

You hit it DEAD NERTZ on the head Bob. I'm an engineer on computer systems.........engineering a computer system is NO different from engineering anything else, or was for 15 years before this stinkin economy hit. My job was to talk to clients, find out what they wanted in a system (10-1500 nodes, or other computers) then design the infrastructure needed to make the system run the way they wanted it to. In the beginnning I had some power. In the end what drove me out was I would design a system -- my systems ALWAYS worked, and some egg-headed, no-load, piece of carp accountant or salesman would take my design and start slashing things from it. "It's too expensive, I can't sell that, blah, blah, blah". I'd reply "yes but if you don't build it that way the doggone thing won't work" and they'd say "well we're just going to have to make it work".

Now I started life as an Auto Mechanic/Machinist 35 years ago and went back to school so I could get a "good" job as an engineer and build things RIGHT and quite frankly the stress of 90 hour weeks and the accountants wanting to take over my systems caused, well, um, ahhhhh OK, that last accountant saleman who messed with one of my systems was about 25 years old and got crappy with me and he went flying butt over teakettle across the board room table and I resigned. I shoulda knocked his teeth out but what I did was bad enough.

America needs to let the engineers do thier jobs without interference from the dang accountants. THEN we would have quality work again. I'm willing to bet Bill Ruger, John Moses, or take your pick would have whipped but on some pencil neck that tried to tell him how to cheapen up his design. Economy in manufacturing? CERTAINLY! But not at the cost of quality.

Me? I went back to what I know best. Making quality anything I can. I"m not getting rich but I"m doing all right and no one tells me how to engineer stuff............and my wife is an accountant but she likes her guns to shoot right.......

Forgive my ramblings, the accountant vs. engineer/quality control thing is a real raw nerve with me.

Ruger is not the only one to suffer from lack of customer service. Lyman just really yanked my crank the other day.

Art

jh45gun
11-14-2009, 10:05 AM
Good grief.

What do you care? OK your a Ruger fan and maybe never had a bad one but there are plenty of us that have. If we want to discuss it why not? For the record I would not own a Ford again either after driving some crappy ones!

bobke
11-14-2009, 11:39 AM
thanks taz. been on the receiving end of consultants and accountants running a thriving business damn near into the ground until someone woke up and realized that the reason an entity got involved was to make money, real money, not statistics that might prove you did and have redirected the business back to those of us that really know how to run it. and if we all survive the current state of the economy, we'll be the wiser/leaner/smarter/faster/more productive for it. but it took hitting near bottom for the powers that be to realize it.

come to think of it, sounds familiar to ruger's and other's current state. betcha there's one thing that hasn't been heard around new hampshire for a while....the voice of the customer. eh?

and to bisleyfan41's plea, i'm with ya. but i'd like to see all of the bile and negativity turned into something positive. sure, we're entitled to our opinions, and i certainly have my bitches with ruger and other companies, but we are beating a dead horse unless we redirect all of this hopefully positive/creative energy back to ruger and ask them to respond to the quality control issues. as the saying goes, write your congressman....or send a letter or copy of the threads you see here and elsewhere regarding ruger qc issues to ruger's board of directors. forget going to the lower levels where they'll get filtered. shoot at the real target.

listen, at some point, this whole bubble in the gun industry is going to break, and those who haven't listened/responded/communicated with their consumer base are going to be left behind. and believe me, i want ruger to come out of it with a new attitude. i'd love to see ruger reinvent themselves, fix quality, improve processes that insure quality without cost and maybe even come up with a performance center concept, with guaranteed results, and maybe even-and this is a big maybe, a target with every gun shipped!!! that's the ruger i want to see emerge from the direction they are currently headed.

bobke out.

bigboredad
11-14-2009, 11:43 AM
Just curious about how all these bad guns end up in the hands of shooters and I' m not sure if ts because of Internet sales that don't give you the opportunity to take a look at the given gone you have purchased or if it is because we go in lay down our hard earned cash pick up the box and when we get home and open the box discover the lack of q/c. I personally have never ordered off the Internet as I do not like being able to look at it and see if its what I'm really looking for

jack19512
11-14-2009, 12:15 PM
Good grief.

well, your post was certainly constructive. Glad you could drop by. At least you were able to get your post count up to 65 now.

jack19512
11-14-2009, 12:19 PM
Just curious about how all these bad guns end up in the hands of shooters and I' m not sure if ts because of Internet sales that don't give you the opportunity to take a look at the given gone you have purchased or if it is because we go in lay down our hard earned cash pick up the box and when we get home and open the box discover the lack of q/c. I personally have never ordered off the Internet as I do not like being able to look at it and see if its what I'm really looking for

Looking at a gun doesn't tell you how it shoots and functions. I Don't know any guns shops myself that let you test fire before buying.

bobke
11-14-2009, 12:44 PM
my standard 'kit' for gun shopping is, at minimum, a caliper, micrometer, a handful of bullets of diameters premeasured to near to 4 decimal places and marked so, a range rod, a forcing cone gauge(to be sure it hasn't been cut too deep), a feeler gauge for cylinder gap and a good eye. that's min. and it won't tell you how the gun will shoot, but you will now be aware of some significant measurements that could significantly affect accuracy. too big a gap, front sight not a 90d to rear sight, throat diameters, state of forcing cone, etc. if those don't fall into a range that could be worked with, play the next point, without having fired a shot.

jh45gun
11-14-2009, 12:59 PM
BobK I look at it this way if no one complained about their bad guns would anything be done about it? I would suspect that these companies are getting the word some of us have not been happy with the way things are going or have gone as in my case. Before the net you had a bad gun you thought well OK I got a lemon and either send it to the company or trade it off ticked off unwilling to deal anymore with Ruger or what ever company. Now with the internet we know it is not just us getting a lemon it seems to be a pretty common thing. Back before the net I read countless articles from gun writers praising Ruger but they all had a common thread they sent their guns to a pistol smith to get them the way they wanted??? Now was this a custom gun could be also could be they wanted to get it to shoot good before making a magazine evaluation about Ruger and giving them a bad article which of course would make Ruger upset and rain down problems for the said gun writer which he did not want.

Big Bore Dad in my case my last two Rugers were used ones at the gunshop. I bought these after tradeing off in an earlier time two Rugers of the same model with the exception of the Single Six which was an early blued model with the transfer bar. This latest Ruger Single Six which was a stainless came with the box and papers and while used was like new like the guy shot it and decided to get something else. Well with my first experience with a Single Six I figured why not it
looked and it was a good deal so I bought it. The 44 Blackhawk was used also but in good shape so I bought it. Now this was in the WI wintertime I bought the Single Six for me for a Christmas Present. I bought the 44 Mag in Feb I traded a gun and some cash for it. I probably did the same for the SS as money is always tight around here. Anyway since it was winter they sat in the gun case until Spring and warm weather I do not like to target shoot in the cold. I am diabetic and just cannot handle the cold like I used to and I like to be comfortable target shooting. So when I did shoot them I found out both were not accurate at all with the SS being the most disappointing it was really terrible with both cylinders something my first one was not it shot great I should have kept it but I sold it to buy a Smith years ago and decided to get an other SS years later. Same with the 44 mag the first one shot great but I traded it off figuring I could not afford to shoot it (factory ammo) and at that time I did not reload. Same thing I wish I would have kept that one too as I have found not all Rugers are even close to being equal. I figured I could not get the gun shop to take them back not after me having them all winter so I traded them off on other guns. But both of them left a pretty sour taste in my mouth for things Ruger as I said money is tight so any gun purchase I do is a hardship of sorts.

bigboredad
11-14-2009, 12:59 PM
that's a good point jack and something I personally think the gun shops should offer I mean you get to drive a car before you buy it. My real question is a lot of this being caused by internet sales? I read where one guy was not allowed to check out his purchase and since he had laid down money it was his gun no matter what is this true in most cases? Because it seems most dissatisfied customers are coming from Internet sales

jh45gun
11-14-2009, 01:03 PM
Thats great BobK if you know how to use all that stuff but most guys do not when buying a gun. Most folks do not have calipers or micrometers unless they are machinist or reloaders. Many times you buy a car they allow you to drive it and or take it to YOUR mechanic. Gun shops do not allow you to take the gun to your gunsmith unfortunately.

jh45gun
11-14-2009, 01:05 PM
Because it seems most dissatisfied customers are coming from Internet sales

Not every one!

bigboredad
11-14-2009, 01:11 PM
butona internet sale are you able to inspect the gunand are you able to I don't like this one get me another

jh45gun
11-14-2009, 01:27 PM
Like was said even inspecting the guns does not tell you whether they will shoot well or not only shooting them tells you that and unfortunately you cannot test fire a new gun before buying nor can you in most cases a used one.

bobke
11-14-2009, 01:47 PM
jh45-
you could put that kit together for next to nothing with a little creative borrowing of a buddies micrometer/caliper, but a 10000th mic is much better. find a handful of let's say, 45 caliber bullet. lots for 45acp measure .451 or damn close. for 45 colt, hornady's are .452, their cowboy bullets are .454. a couple of cast bullets thrown in there between .451 and .454 to get a good size range and you're there. that'll at least tell you about the throats and whether you'll have room to work with 'em or that they're oversize. a good feeler gauge is less than $10 at your local auto parts shop. visual inspection is pretty cheap. is the front sight installed square? if not, you're in for a return, a barrel setback or a min, a good tweak at your friendly local revolver smith. look at the forcing cone and angles-they cut evenly or rough and off center/uneven?

if i've run these minimal inspections, i've minimized me feeling burned by the seller and have at least taken some control over the final result. don't do it, and settle for what you get. and bitch about it. i went into san antone's bass pro and looked at a smith/miculek 45 and the cylinder gap was huge. forget it. looked at a gp100 and a couple of superredhawks-front sights not square. move on.

you can have some involvement in the result, just have to employ some readily available devices and get some instruction on how to use them. calipers and mics can be picked up at fastenal, northern wholesale, msc and others for about $30 bucks. may be the cheapest and best $30 you've ever spent, not only for this but for reloading in general. they're invaluable on my bench. and they're easy to use. hell, in the time spent writing this, i could have taught you how to use them. here, as elsewhere, more knowledge is more power. and isn't that what we're all after here?

jack19512
11-14-2009, 07:44 PM
my standard 'kit' for gun shopping is, at minimum, a caliper, micrometer, a handful of bullets of diameters premeasured to near to 4 decimal places and marked so, a range rod, a forcing cone gauge(to be sure it hasn't been cut too deep), a feeler gauge for cylinder gap and a good eye. that's min. and it won't tell you how the gun will shoot, but you will now be aware of some significant measurements that could significantly affect accuracy. too big a gap, front sight not a 90d to rear sight, throat diameters, state of forcing cone, etc. if those don't fall into a range that could be worked with, play the next point, without having fired a shot.

Wow, I'm getting jealous now. The next gun I buy I want you with me by my side. I'll buy lunch. .:bigsmyl2:

jh45gun
11-14-2009, 08:28 PM
Bob K I have several calipers since I reload. I do not have the range rod the forceing cone guage. So what does that guage cost and the range rod? just looked at brownells and could not find the forceing cone guage but the rod cost 25 to 35 bucks add the guage and the other things your getting into some serious money for testing maybe one gun since some of them things are caliber specific and if your not a gunsmith you may never use them often enough to be worth it.

GLL
04-03-2010, 10:57 AM
I own MANY S&Ws but just bought a new .44 Special Bisley last week. It is my very first Ruger !

You guys have me VERY worried all of a sudden !

Jerry

bigboredad
04-03-2010, 11:20 AM
GLL
don't let this thread scare you. Ruger makes excellent handguns and the one you just bought should keep you smiling for a long time. Ruger is the only revolver I will buy

Dale53
04-03-2010, 12:32 PM
GLL;
In the past year, I have purchased three Rugers:
A .44 Lipsey Special, a 50th Anniversary .44 Magnum Flattop, and a SS Bisley .45 Colt/.45 ACP Convertible.

I had trigger jobs done on all of them. The .45 cylinders needed reamed (I did that myself) to .4525".

After that minor work, I have three revolvers that will rival custom revolvers for accuracy and all around utility value. Further, being Rugers, they will be doing "their thing" for the next three generations. The cost was quite reasonable for all of them (the 50th Anniversary the champ in this division at under $400.00). These were ALL new guns.

You say "RUGER" to me and I get a smile on my face. When, with just a bit of work, three revolvers will shoot well under 1" at 25 yards reliably, and can be purchased by most any working person without floating a loan, then you have something.

Yes, I have seen a Ruger or two that should have never left the factory. I have also seen a S&W Model 60 snubnose that wouldn't even chamber factory .38 Specials (inadequate headspace), so "s**t happens". But, it really is NOT the norm.

So, GLL, never fear. Chances are you'll be a happy camper.

For those of you who can NEVER say anything good about Ruger (or Smith, etc) you have my sympathy...

Dale53

jh45gun
04-03-2010, 03:30 PM
Dale as I have said before that's great and you can do the work on your own guns but what about us that cannot or do not want to take the chance? Then its back to Ruger or a Gunsmith. Whats wrong with Ruger why they cannot just do that in the first place? Even if you discount the lawyer proof triggers that still leaves the cylinder work and sometimes forcing cone work or both. That to me is unacceptable. You can believe that Marlin is going to get an ear full on Mon about the screwed up screw on my Guide Gun. That was not acceptable either.

Dale53
04-03-2010, 04:10 PM
jh45;
Well, you asked the question and I'll give you the answer.

Most every gun out there needs a trigger job (not just Rugers). Mostly, S&W's have good triggers but I have revolvers and autos of many calibers. Most of them (other than dedicated target guns, need a trigger job).

The only other thing I have had to do is ream the cylinders but only in .45 Colt (the .44's have been perfect). I have done that my self but someone with little or no mechanical skill can send their cylinders to Cylindersmith for reaming. The cost is $30.00 plus shipping for one cylinder. There is a multiple cylinder discount.

Those are costs that anyone who is going to shoot can have done. That gives you a FINE revolver that will shoot with the best of them for any practical purpose.

Or, you could buy a Freedom Arms single action for $2000 or so PLUS a trigger job. I know what I did (and over and over).

FWIW
Dale53

jh45gun
04-03-2010, 05:30 PM
Thats not the point Dale the point is why did not Ruger do it in the first place? I would rather pay 30 more dollars up front in the price of the gun for a cylinder done right then send it to a second party. As far as triggers so my Uberti has a fine trigger never measured it but it breaks clean and does not seem heavy.

Dale53
04-03-2010, 10:34 PM
I cannot speak for Ruger. However, NO gun manufacturer of my acquaintance concerns themselves with reloaders. NONE! The Rugers work well with jacketed bullets and they can prove that. Cast bullet requirements are different. I agree with you on one thing, that they SHOULD make them right to begin with. Regarding the .44's they DO them correctly, so I guess that they know how.

At any rate, I accept the circumstances that I am faced with and I personally do my best to solve these things instead of driving myself crazy complaining about them.

While others are ******** about performance, I and others, correct the minor deficiencies and GO SHOOTING!

YMMV,
Dale53

bigboredad
04-03-2010, 10:43 PM
I've owned 2 uberti's and I"ll never buy another one. on both of them after six months the trigger pull was so light you could look at the trigger and they would go off. maybe I shoot more than others here but I doubt it but I'm sure I spend more time shooting than I spend crying on here every time a ruger thread pops up

NHlever
04-03-2010, 11:10 PM
To address the OP's original problem, normally the recoil plates are proud of the recoil surface when they are pressed in. Then both the rear surface of the barrel, and the recoil surface / recoil plate are broached. Your gun somehow got a deep recoil plate hole. They have over sized recoil plates for that problem, but I'm surprised that they didn't catch it when they proof fired the gun, or when they fired the cartridge to provide the empty case some states require. All six chambers are proof tested so the cylinder would have had to make one round trip........... now there is the possibility that the plate wasn't seated all the way when it was broached, and perhaps proof firing the gun seated it deeper..... lot of pressure there.

jh45gun
04-04-2010, 12:11 AM
I've owned 2 uberti's and I"ll never buy another one. on both of them after six months the trigger pull was so light you could look at the trigger and they would go off. maybe I shoot more than others here but I doubt it but I'm sure I spend more time shooting than I spend crying on here every time a ruger thread pops up

Out of all the post I have seen on the net about Uberti's yours is the first that has complained about a trigger pull that light. So what was the reason for the triggers to get that light?

Did you use yours for Cowboy action shooting? Just my opinion but I think that sport along with fast draw is harder on any brand gun then just shooting them normally.

jh45gun
04-04-2010, 12:35 AM

Well when your on a limited income and you spend your last nickle on a gun (ruger) that you have scrimped and saved for and it shoots patterns instead of groups at 25 yards I think you might cry a bit too! When it happens the second time with an other gun (ruger) it really starts to bug ya. No it's not me I can shoot other revolvers and pistols just fine.

bigboredad
04-04-2010, 10:49 AM
I totally understand your income situation. I have ms and no longer able to work so I feel your pain there. my point is not every gun will please everyone so shoot the ones you do like and the chip off your shoulder.

44man
12-18-2013, 11:54 AM
Bushing should be flush with the recoil plate. Ruger will fix it and even pay postage if you call them.

Fernando
12-20-2013, 07:30 AM
Postage part seems to be iffy now - Maybe if you complain loud enough.
I think they were paying a lot of postage

bob208
12-20-2013, 12:50 PM
I think some of you should get a education on tolerances. stacking error and manufacturing and machining.

now that $30 trigger job from the factory would add at least $200 to the price of the gun. plus you think ammo is hard to get what do you think guns would be with all the time spent on hand fitting?

44man
12-20-2013, 01:06 PM
Understand the general public and yes, yes, yes, I see it here and everywhere. A screw comes loose, send the gun back. Soon the company will lose profits. Do you want that? Can you solve a simple problem? It reduces the companies need to help real problems and Ruger is a very good company that will go out of their way for you.
I am in awe of what guys complain about and are so stupid they either pay or complain.
Yes Ruger and every single gun maker can have a problem but you, yourself that knows nothing can destroy their profits.

Tazman1602
12-22-2013, 04:53 PM
Understand the general public and yes, yes, yes, I see it here and everywhere. A screw comes loose, send the gun back. Soon the company will lose profits. Do you want that? Can you solve a simple problem? It reduces the companies need to help real problems and Ruger is a very good company that will go out of their way for you.
I am in awe of what guys complain about and are so stupid they either pay or complain.
Yes Ruger and every single gun maker can have a problem but you, yourself that knows nothing can destroy their profits.

Thank you 44man. I am a Ruger lover and tune ALL of my guns. No one is perfect but out of the Rugers I own I have yet to get a bad one.

I recently bought yet another 1911 -- a Remington 1911-R1. One of the worst triggers I've ever felt. I like setting my guns up to suit me anyways so I put a commander hammer and matching sear along with a Bearvertail grip safety and it is just dandy now.

God help those who can't do a dam thing themselves in the days to come....................Yes quality should be there but manufacturing has it's limits which is why we should all complain less and learn more........

Art

Tazman1602
12-22-2013, 04:54 PM

Thank you 44man. I am a Ruger lover and tune ALL of my guns. No one is perfect but out of the Rugers I own I have yet to get a bad one.

I recently bought yet another 1911 -- a Remington 1911-R1. One of the worst triggers I've ever felt. I like setting my guns up to suit me anyways so I put a commander hammer and matching sear along with a Bearvertail grip safety and it is just dandy now.

God help those who can't do a dam thing themselves in the days to come....................Yes quality should be there but manufacturing has it's limits which is why we should all complain less and learn more........

Art