PDA

View Full Version : How To Tone Down Bright Stainless

alamogunr
10-30-2009, 07:38 PM
I just acquired a S&W model 65. Round butt, 3 inch barrel. It is apparently a police trade-in. It has the polished stainless finish. I knew this when I bought it but for the price I was hooked. How can I tone down the bright finish?

It has normal scratches, etc from being carried. I have lightly rubbed other guns with maroon Scotch Brite pads but they were not the bright stainless to begin with. They just needed to have scrapes and scratches smoothed out.

John
W.TN

John Taylor
10-30-2009, 07:46 PM
bead blast. That's what a lot of SS guns come with.

bruce drake
10-30-2009, 08:13 PM
Krylon......:)

Lead Fred
10-30-2009, 08:22 PM
Krylon is for mall ninjas

Duracoat is forever [smilie=s:

Shiloh
10-30-2009, 08:31 PM
Krylon......:)

Go the bead blast route Alamogunr.

I bought a used S&W once that was beat blasted by a gunsmith. Looks GREAT!!

Shiloh

bruce drake
10-30-2009, 09:45 PM
hehehe

LeadFred - like the updated avatar

docone31
10-30-2009, 10:40 PM
I built two Palma Rifles for my wife and myself.
They both have A%B stainless barrels.
As a finishing touch, I had the barrels bead blasted. Tones them right down. I also had the recievers flat blued. A two tone effect.
Glass beading is different than sand blasting, or grit blasting. It is much more passive on the item.
It does scratch easy though.

longhorn
10-31-2009, 11:32 AM
Funny, most of the discussions over on the Ruger and S&W forums are about how to achieve the high polish look--you might check some threads there about specific pads to use to dull a finish. I'd try it myself before finding a bead blast setup, but I live out in the boonies.

largom
11-06-2009, 10:42 PM
Bead blasting will give the best results, however, the size of the beads determines the finish. I would polish a piece of stainless for a test to determine the finish before I did the firearm.

Larry

EMC45
11-07-2009, 06:23 AM
Cheap route---Scotch bright pad. Just keep everything going in the same direction and it will be uniform!

Hip's Ax
11-07-2009, 01:30 PM
I'm not much of a pistol guy but I have all my stainless rifle barrels bead blasted by the smith to knock the shine off. Looks GREAT (in my opinon) and is easily touched up later by re-bead blasting to remove any marks that show up. Have one bead blasted Hart barrel on my 260 Remington long range rifle since 2004 and it still looks awesome.