PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Bullet Lube to save money

Wally
10-30-2009, 04:41 PM
Forget about all those commercial preperations that cost far too much. I have found that it really makes little difference with which one you choose. I make mine as follows:

1) Get church candle stumps that churches throw away---if they are from most church supply house they contain 51% beeswax, the rest is parafin (sp) wax

2) Cut a section of the candle w/o the wick and place in a steel can (that you have made a spout in one section of)---add the equivilent amount of lithium grease. I add the grease after I have melted the candle.

3) Heat outdoors using thongs until it melts...the stir with a long screwdriver. I heat with a propane torch and it will catch on fire---that doesn't matter one bit. One should not breath in the smoke/fumes anyway.

4) Once cooled, so that it no longer smokes pour into you luber/sizer---let it cool a bit and you are good to go.

You can make a lot of lube for a few dollars that is everybit as good as any commercially produced lube..if not better.

Ideally a ratio of 50/50 is best but it really makes little difference if it is not exact. The greater the % of wax, the more brittle the lube. Too much grease and it will too soft. If you are not satisfied with the consititentcy add one or the other ingredient to make it the way that you want.

Shiloh
10-30-2009, 07:10 PM
I layed in a supply of product from this fellow. I'm good for a LONG time. Not free but close to it!!
http://www.lsstuff.com/lube/index.html

Shiloh

Lead Fred
10-30-2009, 08:30 PM
3) Heat outdoors using thongs until it melts....

You need major friction to melt the thongs off? :kidding:

itsnt dropping them on the floor quicker?

Vic@leadandbrass
10-30-2009, 08:52 PM
ya, i melted my thong off once. id post a pic, but im afraid a mod would move it to the One Shot Gun section...

but seriously, thats a great Macguver solution. homebrew is the name of the casting game!

NoZombies
10-30-2009, 10:12 PM
3) Heat outdoors using thongs until it melts....

I prefer to heat using boxers, they seem to give more protection...

MT Gianni
10-30-2009, 11:03 PM
You probably should look a little further down at the Lube sub-forum. Lots of use going on there.

fredj338
10-31-2009, 12:39 AM
I learned to make some home made lubne just to know how, but really, Lar's has so many choices & it's quite cheap compared to any other commercial lubes, it just isn't worth the trouble. Still, nice to know how & to find something that works as well, just in case.

Lead Fred
10-31-2009, 12:45 AM
I use an age ole combo

5 parts bees wax
4 parts veggie oil
1 part crisco

ghh3rd
11-03-2009, 05:45 PM
As I read the original post and saw 'thong', I thougt I'd say something clever.... but obviously I'm in a crowd of like-thinking people.

Randy

abunaitoo
11-04-2009, 04:31 AM
I picked up a tin of Kiwi Mink Oil the other day.
It works just like Imperial wax.
Tin is twice as big as Imperial.
Ingredients are mink oil, silicone and lanolin.
At $3.00 a tin, it's just not mixing up a homebrew.