PDA

View Full Version : Poor Mans Scope Turrent

barrabruce
10-30-2009, 01:08 AM
Been playing with the idea of getting a "tacticool" scope for me 30-30 H&R.
I like to plink at things with low velocity loads.

Now not being askinkflint or nothing I thought I'd just make do with me trust 'ol Weaver K4 and see how that would turn out to see if it'd be worth the hastle.

This is my go at it...
Most likely the hard way but does work if not too brilliant looking.

How long it will work is any ones guess!!!!

First I got one of me 9mm ruger range brass emties I picked up and brazed a bit of brass plate on it.
FLuxed and tineed it with some Electriacl Solder which is the lowest temp stuff I got. Its either liquid or solid.

Roughtly cleaned it up to fit on the Wearver top adjuster.
Being a steel the adjuster thingo I scraped away some of the black paint on it and cleaned it.

Heated up the top of the case till the solder seemed to go liquid and placed of the primed with flux adjuster.
Took me several goes before it all heated up "just" enough to form a bond with out undue heat retention.

If there is an O-ring sealing the adjuster it seams to have not effected it and hasn't leaked out and gas etc.

The knob is one of the extras I got with a .22 BDC scope.
Made a 15 moa marks for it using the competer and a spread sheet program and walla.....

O.k. Its rural looking and maybe a bit fugly but it gives me 55 MOA elevation from my sighted in range.

Good for 325-350 yrds at the moment working on a 500yd load or maybe some packing under the rings.

This scope hasn't got clicks and is friction adjustment like the Leopoulds. Only had it mounted on a .22 for 25 yrs. Yeah sure there's nothing wrong with the scope but it wouldn't make me cry tooo much it I wrecked it playing.
Just have to figure out a way to remember how many truns I twisted it and put it back to zero before I shoot at some other thing!!! :)

Now I just need a hme made range finder accurate to ! yrd to make it usefull for shooting away from the range.

What Yer reckon???

Its one solution
Besides getting target or tactical turrents for yer scope how else have you seen it done???

Hope it helps some other silly Bugga out there!!!
Or serves as a warning.

Barra

kir_kenix
10-30-2009, 06:42 PM
That is awsome. Good work man! Thats way too much work for me to ever figure out and put together lol.

Xcaliber
10-30-2009, 10:59 PM
That looks awesome friend. Its fun to make something that works and looks good at the same time. Good job:drinks:

10-30-2009, 11:36 PM
Neat work but that primer looks to be unfired,wc

WILCO
10-31-2009, 02:31 AM
but that primer looks to be unfired....

It's a optical illusion Dude!!! There is no primer.

barrabruce
11-01-2009, 07:19 AM
Thanks for the praise.

Works quite well and I can see no change in impact from adjusting it up and down.
Not fitted to a bench rest rifle thats for sure but it does seem very consistant.

One day I'll get a Leopold 4 power or 2-8 with a turrent on the verticle plane and a few strokes or dots in the rectinal but this will do me for a whiles to come.

First thing I need is a range finder to make good use of it.

Cheers
Brarra