PDA

View Full Version : It's official -- Swartzenegger bans WW in Ca. Effective Jan.1

TDC
10-30-2009, 01:04 AM
It's official -- Swartzenegger bans mfg, sale of WW's in Ca. Effective Jan.1, 2010. That's in 2 months!!

http://www.sema.org/sema-enews/2009/44/california-bans-lead-wheel-weights?fc_c=1391686x3167916x5678

fredj338
10-30-2009, 01:16 AM
Yep Oregon & Washington are not far behind. Look for bans their by 2012. Stack it high & deep, there won't be any more sooenr than later.

Lead Fred
10-30-2009, 02:38 AM
I didnt know the freakin condors could fly that fast to eat them off the wheels.

I guess safety isnt important to them

this is idiotic

Gunslinger
10-30-2009, 05:17 AM
Aww that's too bad.

But really guys... don't cry about it. As it says in the article, lead WWs has been banned in the European Union since 2005. I can still find old lead WWs, okay there aren't many casters in this country... but it is a very very small country, and there are still plenty of lead weights. Don't forget there are still millions of cars and trucks in the US that has lead weight on them as we speak. When these people change their tires these lead weights get replaced with zinc or whatever. I sure hope it is not demanded by the tire shops to give the lead weights back to the manufacturer!

What you will experience next is an ever increasing amount of steel and zinc weights... and it sure is a hazzle to have to sort these out.

3006guns
10-30-2009, 07:00 AM
What really burns me is that I have YET to see any scientific study that indicates a problem! Nothing but rhetoric and supposition....resulting in the usual "warm and fuzzy" law being passed....a solution to a problem that doesn't seem to exist.

I'm going to hit every scrap yard I can find over the next months and build up my stock. After that, well.........

stephen perry
10-30-2009, 07:17 AM
My supplier will have lead WW for some time. He will no longer be able to sell them but I never bought them anyway a 12 pk of Old Milwaukee gets me a 5 gallon bucket. Last bucket a couple weeks ago weighed 144# no zinc.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR :brokenima

Boz330
10-30-2009, 08:57 AM
My supplier will have lead WW for some time. He will no longer be able to sell them but I never bought them anyway a 12 pk of Old Milwaukee gets me a 5 gallon bucket. Last bucket a couple weeks ago weighed 144# no zinc.

Stephen Perry

That is cheap enough, why don't you buy him some good beer, instead of making him drink Old Millwater.:kidding:

Bob

Dogg
10-30-2009, 09:29 AM
I have yet to find a wheel and tire shop that will give or sell wheel weights here in Shreveport, LA. Seems they all have to be sent back to 'someplace' and then there is a battery manufacturer here who buys almost all the lead in the area.

rwt101
10-30-2009, 09:35 AM
So what is left to casters that buy lead ingots? Is there anything that can be used instead of lead? It figures, I just started to cast a few months ago.

They are cutting off our ammo. So you can have all the guns you want but no ammo for them.
Bob T

peter nap
10-30-2009, 10:18 AM
So what is left to casters that buy lead ingots? Is there anything that can be used instead of lead? It figures, I just started to cast a few months ago.

They are cutting off our ammo. So you can have all the guns you want but no ammo for them.
Bob T

Gun owners and especially casters, are inventive rascals. I suspect more people will be casting Zinc in the future. I've been using it for a few things just for the fun of it.

I'm seeing more Brass slugs and I alo expect the sale of small lathes will increase in California this year, especially since California just required registration when buying store bought ammo.

That covers being able to make bullets. Being able to make them cheap...is another issue.

Cactus Farmer
10-30-2009, 10:40 AM
What about the lead in car batteries? Are Californians going back to hand cranking their cars? What a bunch of duffaces..........I guess muzzleloaders are SOL.
The cadmium on the bolts in the hardware stores is more dangerous......don't assemble a swing set and lick your fingers.......and be real careful with the glass thermometer,mercury you know! .:coffeecom

fredj338
10-30-2009, 10:52 AM
Gun owners and especially casters, are inventive rascals. I suspect more people will be casting Zinc in the future. I've been using it for a few things just for the fun of it.

I'm seeing more Brass slugs and I alo expect the sale of small lathes will increase in California this year, especially since California just required registration when buying store bought ammo.

That covers being able to make bullets. Being able to make them cheap...is another issue.

You have to be careful w laws concerning solid metal handgun bullets. Copper is ok, brass mayber, bronze nope.
The stupid Kalif. ammo ban has a chance to be overturned w/ a new gov. Slim, but maybe. The inturpretation is on ammo & not reloading components, so far. Reloaders can still get stuff through the mail but how long that will last is anyones guess.
The lead ww ban is taken form the European enviromentalist. Kalif. as usual leads the way in stupid legislation, but look for it to become nation wide sooner than later. The shop I get my ww from has already made the move. In March a 110# bucket was about 95% useable. Last month only about 75%. So gage that & I see lead ww drying up here in 12m.

mdi
10-30-2009, 11:10 AM
The move started with fishing sinkers and had moved on to bullets. As I understand, some states on the east coast have banned lead fishing sinkers in all their freshwater areas. Calif. will soon be the same and I've read Texas has a law in the process. The whole "lead poisoning" move is just a scare tactic to get the uneducated urban socialite voter on the side of the "progressive", "protective" politician. Expect the same results (bans) in your state too.

peter nap
10-30-2009, 11:18 AM
You have to be careful w laws concerning solid metal handgun bullets. Copper is ok, brass mayber, bronze nope.
The stupid Kalif. ammo ban has a chance to be overturned w/ a new gov. Slim, but maybe. The inturpretation is on ammo & not reloading components, so far. Reloaders can still get stuff through the mail but how long that will last is anyones guess.
The lead ww ban is taken form the European enviromentalist. Kalif. as usual leads the way in stupid legislation, but look for it to become nation wide sooner than later. The shop I get my ww from has already made the move. In March a 110# bucket was about 95% useable. Last month only about 75%. So gage that & I see lead ww drying up here in 12m.

On a Federal level, even Bronze is OK just a long as it goes in an approved sporting cartridge. In Va, it's all OK unless you sprinkle a little Teflon on it.

The point is, there's always a way.

For that much, if you use a sabot, you can cast concrete bullets.

There is always a way!!!!

Marlin Hunter
10-30-2009, 11:59 AM
this is idiotic

This is Arnold Schwarzenegger. Coming to a presidency near you.

jh45gun
10-30-2009, 01:33 PM
What part of being a natural element don't they understand? Darn Liberals and Rhino's

Bad Water Bill
10-30-2009, 01:42 PM
There is a city here in Illinois called GALENA. Native americans were mining the silver stream about 1K years before Columbus came here. Many families are living in the area using their own wells with no side effects. How long must those residents keep running the lead test till they have proven that plain lead is not that harmful?

wallenba
10-30-2009, 01:42 PM
It's official -- Swartzenegger bans mfg, sale of WW's in Ca. Effective Jan.1, 2010. That's in 2 months!!

http://www.sema.org/sema-enews/2009/44/california-bans-lead-wheel-weights?fc_c=1391686x3167916x5678

Maybe a pre-emptive strike on wheel weights out there is in order. Grab your buckets and pliers this Halloween and go down the streets "tricking not treating,"
and do your enviromentally concious best to rid the streets of these hazards.
Ya'll know I'm just joking....right?:mrgreen:

Dframe
10-30-2009, 02:26 PM
I have yet to find a wheel and tire shop that will give or sell wheel weights here in Shreveport, LA. Seems they all have to be sent back to 'someplace' and then there is a battery manufacturer here who buys almost all the lead in the area.
Ran into the same problem here. No one will sell them, because they have agreements to sell them to a battery manufacturer.

TDC
10-30-2009, 03:39 PM
Maybe a pre-emptive strike on wheel weights out there is in order. Grab your buckets and pliers this Halloween and go down the streets "tricking not treating,"
and do your enviromentally concious best to rid the streets of these hazards.
Ya'll know I'm just joking....right?:mrgreen:

Hmmmmm. Do you think the new teenage thrill may be stealing wheel weights off parked cars like they used to steal hub caps? Uh..... Wonder how many five gallon buckets could be filled in a hour at a large shopping centers parking lot???

I see a lucrative new business emerging for some "enterprising" young guys.... while at the same time winning the "Environmentalist of the Year Award" in their local communities for helping to remove the "lead menace"....

California is lost... the bird brain legislators in Oregon and Washington are soon to follow.... then the nation.:mad: It's time to get off our passive a$$es and fight back!!! Write, e-mail, call your legislators...

jdgabbard
10-30-2009, 04:34 PM
Expect the same results (bans) in your state too.

I live in Oklahoma, where we still support destroying the enviroment! J/k.

But on a serious note. We do seem to have a few more "common sense (if there is such a thing) legislation" then other states I've seen. Heck we actually have a pretty strong movement throughout the state and the state legislature for legalizing Open Carry. I see WW going away, but I think we'll have them longer then the majority of the others.

canuck4570
10-30-2009, 05:07 PM
tell me will you guys be able to buy lead from the foundry in small ingot
I have been doing so in Canada for the past 4 years
and after calculating the cost of the propane to melt the WW the lost in scrap, my time
not much difference and you get the composition of lead you want
just word of encouragement
Canuck

rwt101
10-30-2009, 05:13 PM
I went to our local WalMart to see what they do with there WW and found out that Exide gets theres.
Bob T:(

jdgabbard
10-30-2009, 05:19 PM
I've yet to find Wally World that will give you WWs. They'll tell you no, but can't really tell you why. Some will tell you lead is illegal because its dangerous. I just point them to the fishing weights and tell them their an idiot.

kodiak1
10-30-2009, 09:01 PM
Will Arnold be back next election in California?

Ken

fredj338
10-31-2009, 12:42 AM
Will Arnold be back next election in California?

Ken

Fortunately he is termed out. He has been a HUGE failuer. Everyone thought he was going to come in & strong arm the ***** liberals running the state & he had chances & caved. The state is doomed, really. Look here for a microcosim of how the country will go under liberal rule.:veryconfu

mpmarty
10-31-2009, 01:36 AM
I don't know about that. The liberals are having some serious problems with their image and how the public perceives them now after a year of Obama and his cohorts. I'm hoping for a swing next year to a more traditional, conservative approach from the voters. I hope so anyway. Don't know how much more of this stupidity I can take.

stephen perry
10-31-2009, 03:44 AM
TDC
How many ww do you think you could steal off a car in an hour. And what if you did what are they worth to a teenager zippo/nada. What value we casters place on a ww means nothing to the rest.

You ever watch a tire shop guy remove a ww not an easy task takes more than a screwdriver.

Stephen Perry

jh45gun
10-31-2009, 09:00 AM
Arnie is a Rhino look who he married.

10-31-2009, 10:38 AM
Lead wheel weights will not disappear for years, however, they will compose a smaller percentage of our buckets. I'm starting to save the zinc weights.

I never voted for Arnold. I realized from the very beginning that he goes to bed every night with a Kennedy.

Liberals, in a way, are fun to have around, as they will show anyone who possesses a modicum of sanity, logic and common sense just how silly, shallow, hypocritical and self-centered they really are. The problem, though, is that they have dumbed-down a huge segment of American society. I, too, envision a massive congressional turn over. And, Obama not finishing his term.

mroliver77
10-31-2009, 10:59 AM
Turn over to what? The R's havent given us much but watered down liberalism for some time now. Same end just a slower death. Unless there is a major shake up in this country we are doomed to GIVE our freedom away. Rant off.
I have a decent stash of lead and hope it will carry me to Kingdom Come. I still grab any I can at a reasonable price. At first glance the alloy from the couple of dealers on this site look expensive, especially to those of us that are old time scroungers. It might be prudent in the long run for some of us to grab it while we can.
Jay

Cadillo
10-31-2009, 01:48 PM
This is Arnold Schwarzenegger. Coming to a presidency near you.

Not possible. He was born outside the U.S. and admits it. He immigrated to the U.S. and later naturalized. Ineligible.

mpmarty
10-31-2009, 04:34 PM
In today's world nothing is "not possible" We have a Kenyan for president and don't be surprises if there isn't a ground swell from the left to liberalize the requirements for the highest office in the land. BOHICA

TDC
10-31-2009, 04:51 PM
TDC
How many ww do you think you could steal off a car in an hour. And what if you did what are they worth to a teenager zippo/nada. What value we casters place on a ww means nothing to the rest.

You ever watch a tire shop guy remove a ww not an easy task takes more than a screwdriver.

Stephen Perry

Just an absurd solution to counter an absurd new law. Not meant to be a serious option, Stephen Perry..... :kidding::grin:

Jim
10-31-2009, 05:05 PM
.....I'm going to hit every scrap yard I can find over the next months and build up my stock. After that, well.........

I'm stocking up on 95.4/.6/4 lead free solder. I can buy plumber's lead, 5 lbs. at a time, from plumbing supply shops. I've already got the mix figured out and will be able to make all my boolits from those two metals.

jmabbott888
11-03-2009, 05:18 PM
That is one nice thing about working with used & new cars at a dealership, I get all the old weights. I guess the cops are going to get real mad when they find out I'm not only stockpiling primers & powder but now lead lol. I've still got 3 buckets I haven't gone thru & made into ingots, not counting the 5 lb ingots I bought at a garage sale, only problen is those are to big for the pot, have to cut them down.

jack19512
11-03-2009, 06:18 PM
I don't have as much lead as a lot of you do but I'm sure that I have enough for me. I just counted how many buckets I have and I have 14 buckets of mixed 5 and 6 gallon size. Not counting the 6 gallon bucket of smelted lead ingots and the hundreds and hundreds of boolits(maybe thousands)that I have cast and stored. I will continue to collect the weights as long as possible though.

JSnover
11-03-2009, 06:38 PM
:cry:Well that's it then. I quit. If it didn't fall off somebody's wheel I don't want it.

XWrench3
11-04-2009, 12:16 AM
freegin swartzenegger, you'd think after making millions off movies portraying him as a gun guy, he would have some apreciation for this sport. so what, did he get elected king or something? how many terms can he stay on out there? everytime i see one of the kalifornia ads with him, i want to power puke! he needs to be TREMINATED!

fredj338
11-04-2009, 12:49 AM
That is one nice thing about working with used & new cars at a dealership, I get all the old weights. I guess the cops are going to get real mad when they find out I'm not only stockpiling primers & powder but now lead lol. I've still got 3 buckets I haven't gone thru & made into ingots, not counting the 5 lb ingots I bought at a garage sale, only problen is those are to big for the pot, have to cut them down.
I get to Tehachapi every month to shoot & visit a rental there. If you ever want to get rid of 200# or so, dropa note, we'll work a deal.:lovebooli

dualsport
11-04-2009, 02:37 AM
Californians!! This is OUR home. Don't bail out Fight! We owe it to ourselves and our kids. PLEASE!! Consider joining the California Rifle and Pistol Association. For pennies a day you will have a full time lobbyist in Sacramento. The CRPA works hard for our rights at all levels, including successfully fighting the lead ban extension to the whole state by the Fish and Game Commission (Not the DFG, they are actually on our side) Join up, it feels good, you get a great magazine, and it qualifies for the CMP Garand purchase requirements.

airmung
11-04-2009, 02:17 PM
Wheel weights are a good casting alloy, but there is more than one way to skin a cat!
Range backstop lead is plentiful. What better thing to make boolits from than old boolits? Old cast boolits make great new ones and are usually a good alloy. Jacketed bullet lead is soft and can be used for alloying linotype or other hard mixtures, or for making cores for swaging. I have picked up several 5-gallon buckets of the stuff. Take a shovel and a sieve/screen and you can gather a lot of lead in little time. Throw it in a rotary tumbler with tap water and in no time it will come out dirt-free.
Go to the nearest airport and ask for the battery caps from old batteries. Each cap has a nearly pure lead weight inside (used to block off the cell vent during unusual attitudes in flight, and to help prevent spills if the battery is tipped over). The battery posts and cell interconnect straps are a much harder alloy, if you want to tear the battery apart. Ditto for automotive batteries. BTW, aircraft battery electrolyte is a higher concentration than automotive, with a specific gravity 1.285 rather than 1.265, so it has more sulphuric acid (handy for all sorts of things for the chemist-types out there).
Aircraft wheels are balanced mostly using dead soft tape weights, again, good for swaging, once you get all that nasty old adhesive off.
There are commercial sources too, if it ever gets to the point where we have to actually buy the stuff. Check McMaster-Carr and other industrial supply places. Corn cob and walnut shell
are a lot cheaper at these places too, especially in 50-lb bags.
There are many sources of lead to be found, just maybe not as convenient as WWs. Be creative!

truckmsl
11-04-2009, 03:28 PM
Looks like it's getting to be time to come up with some creative ideas on portable bullet traps.

fredj338
11-04-2009, 03:56 PM
Wheel weights are a good casting alloy, but there is more than one way to skin a cat!
Range backstop lead is plentiful. What better thing to make boolits from than old boolits? Old cast boolits make great new ones and are usually a good alloy. Jacketed bullet lead is soft and can be used for alloying linotype or other hard mixtures, or for making cores for swaging. I have picked up several 5-gallon buckets of the stuff. Take a shovel and a sieve/screen and you can gather a lot of lead in little time. Throw it in a rotary tumbler with tap water and in no time it will come out dirt-free.
WWs. Be creative!

Except we all don't have access to the backstop or berm. I shoot at a private rnge most of the time & careful mining of the berm can be done at the end of the day. I've pulled about 150# right off the top in 20min of shoveling. Some time soon I am going to get serious & go down about 12" & take 400-500# out.:Fire:

JSnover
11-04-2009, 05:36 PM
Personally, I don't really care. Getting ww in my neighborhood is like pulling teeth most days. There are other sources of lead.

"It aint what it was but it'll do."

extremepyro
11-04-2009, 09:30 PM
Wish he would have stayed on mars

11-04-2009, 11:32 PM
Looks like good time to get into casting. Reading the FAQ and just overwhelmed with info. But picked up on the WW banning. A two day hunt around here found shops that are keeping all WW, others have agreements to sell them to a battery manufacturer, Walmart going to steel WW. Some would sell WW. Paid 35 cents pound, another $20 for 5 gal bucket full. Few gave it away. Spent $90 all together for 3 5 gal and 1 6 gal bucket full.

Now forgive me if wrong thread but can someone tell me on the group buy for 44 mould lists the dia .432. Can this get sized down to .429 or .430 when swaging? thanks

HORNET
11-05-2009, 09:29 AM
1917, That .432 should size down to .429 or .430 very well. Make sure that you actually need to go that small first. Many times .431 works better, check the cylinder throats and/or slug the barrel. We now resume our regular program already in process.......

TAWILDCATT
11-05-2009, 11:32 AM
did you know the NRA had a study made of lead in the enviorment and the conclusion was there was no contamination the bullets did not leach lead.
may be some should get lawyers and sue the state for fraud.who knows it might be just the thing.
going to be a way to put another business in the dump.[smilie=s:

fredj338
11-05-2009, 03:21 PM
did you know the NRA had a study made of lead in the enviorment and the conclusion was there was no contamination the bullets did not leach lead.
may be some should get lawyers and sue the state for fraud.who knows it might be just the thing.
going to be a way to put another business in the dump.[smilie=s:
As always, follw the money. Dig deep enough, you'll find the bill writers probably have a financial equity in lead free products. much Like Al Gore & his global frickin warming, he's making millions promoting bogus science. Besides, Kalifornia doesn't have much water to contaminate anyway.:veryconfu

lawboy
11-05-2009, 03:53 PM
Lead wheelweights! You guys still casting with that stuff?!:kidding:
I get all the range lead out of the bullet trap at the indoor range I want.
Just dump it into the pot, clean out the crud, flux, cast ingots, done.
I must cast up 500-800 lbs of ingots every year no problem and could do 5000-8000lbs if I wanted to. I shoot it as is in everything without a single complaint in at least 4000lbs worth of bullets! Go find yourself an indoor range! Cheers!

fredj338
11-05-2009, 04:42 PM
Lead wheelweights! You guys still casting with that stuff?!:kidding:
I get all the range lead out of the bullet trap at the indoor range I want.
Just dump it into the pot, clean out the crud, flux, cast ingots, done.
I must cast up 500-800 lbs of ingots every year no problem and could do 5000-8000lbs if I wanted to. I shoot it as is in everything without a single complaint in at least 4000lbs worth of bullets! Go find yourself an indoor range! Cheers!

Many of the indoor ranges have contracts for removal. In many states, Kalif being one, there are certain methods that have to be used. Besides, there are 100s of tire shops & maybe one indoor range in any given area. You are fortunate to have that connection.

Mugs
11-05-2009, 06:42 PM
All you boolit casters over in california gather up those ww before they come and take them away from you. We'll rent a truck and come bring them to Arizona where they'll get a good home.
Mugs
IHMSA 5940L

fredj338
11-05-2009, 08:13 PM
All you boolit casters over in california gather up those ww before they come and take them away from you. We'll rent a truck and come bring them to Arizona where they'll get a good home.
Mugs
IHMSA 5940L
Hey mugs, I was thinking of coming over there & loading a truck up w/ ww. Figure I could sell them to casters here after the ban.:kidding:

JIMinPHX
11-05-2009, 11:13 PM
Looks like it's getting to be time to come up with some creative ideas on portable bullet traps.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=26627

TDC
11-05-2009, 11:31 PM
Not to in any way diminish Swartzenegger's responsibility for signing the bill, but the legislature in California had to write the bill and submit it to him for signature. All the legislative enities in CA share equally in this fraud.

Any people who still support the kind of radical leftist government California now has are seeing first hand what regulation and control really means to the little guy. It's all about control and power, folks, not reality and common sense...

We'll all get an early taste of what this California lead regulation will mean to the rest of the country when the pending Federal law is imposed on the whole country at a later date..

I'm going to predict new regulations and controls are going to be placed soon on other lead sources like plumbing supply businesses. The regulators never stop once they get their foot in the door... JMHO....

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u269/tdcorp/wheelweights.jpg

mtnman31
11-06-2009, 12:09 AM
If you want lead, just take the Chinese made toys out of your kid's toy box and melt them down...

jack19512
11-06-2009, 07:20 AM
If you want lead, just take the Chinese made toys out of your kid's toy box and melt them down...

Isn't that the truth!

TDC
11-07-2009, 06:06 PM
Last info run.... TTT