PDA

View Full Version : Mold won't close

wallenba
10-29-2009, 11:45 PM
My Lyman #454190 2 cav stopped closing after dropping 200+ yesterday. One of the alignment pins has pulled out a bit and I don't have any tool that will push it back in. Think I forgot to lube that one. Any home remedies?

10-30-2009, 12:10 AM
A brass hammer or a brass drift?

wallenba
10-30-2009, 12:17 AM
A brass hammer or a brass drift?

Tried that first, won't budge. If I can't figure anything I might look for an auto supply that has a bearing press and hope the guy is'nt ham fisted.

Bullshop
10-30-2009, 12:28 AM
If you take the blocks off the handles you can then access the pin from the oposite side.
Keep the blocks together and clamped in a vice so they will act as a guide and tap the pin back with a brass punch.
Thats half the battle. You now have to fix the pin so it will not move again. There are several ways you can do it but the quickest way is to use a prick punch to peen just a bit of metal over the edge to keep it from pulling out again.
BIC/BS

wallenba
10-30-2009, 12:31 AM
Thanks JC, should I do this cold or apply heat?

wallenba
10-30-2009, 12:45 AM
Went ahead and did it cold. That was easier than I thought it would be. Tapping on it while separated did not do anything, even with more force, clamping together made the difference.
Now to find a way to peen it. Thanks again guys. I'd ask in the store for a prick punch...but I might get punched in the nose. LOL

SciFiJim
10-30-2009, 12:46 AM
As an impromptu press, use a vise. A wood shim on the mold block side will protect the back of the mold and you can easily control how far the pin gets pressed.