PDA

View Full Version : How strong is the Encore in 45-70?

2ndAmendmentNut
10-29-2009, 09:09 PM
As always I am dreaming about the next gun. T/C’s rifles with their interchangeable barrels sounds like a loop hole in the boss's, “just one more gun!” rule.:lol: If I where to get an Encore the first two barrels would definitely be a 22lr and a 45-70 barrel. What can an Encore rifle handle Trapdoor loads, Marlin Lever loads, or Ruger #1 loads?

Also what is the practical/humane range of a scoped Encore in 45-70 on medium sized and larger game? (mainly wild pigs)

Are the Encore trigger pulls really that bad? And are the triggers really almost impossible to improve?

Thanks.

largom
10-29-2009, 10:39 PM
The Encore 45-70 will handle any loads the Marlin or Ruger's will and more than my shoulder can take. I have loaded 405gr. in mine at 1900fps but the recoil in that light rifle is more than I can handle.
The practical range would be what ever you can shoot accurately at. The triggers can be a bear on some but can be smoothed and lightened with springs from Mike Bellm's TC's. This is a job one can do themselves IF they are adapte at working on firearms.

Larry

2ndAmendmentNut
10-29-2009, 11:21 PM
I have heard that blued barrels will only fit blued receivers, and stainless barrels will only fit stainless receivers, Is this true?

stubshaft
10-29-2009, 11:49 PM
I have heard that blued barrels will only fit blued receivers, and stainless barrels will only fit stainless receivers, Is this true?

NOT A WORD OF IT!

All barrels for Encores are interchangeable.

2ndAmendmentNut
10-30-2009, 12:13 AM
The Encore 45-70 will handle any loads the Marlin or Ruger's will and more than my shoulder can take.

So when it comes to action strength a T/C Encore is comparable to a Ruger #1? If so that is pretty cool, even though I might never have a use for that much power, it would be nice to know my gun could handle it.

shotman
10-30-2009, 12:15 AM
stubs right on I have used both on mine .

EOD3
10-30-2009, 01:04 AM
So when it comes to action strength a T/C Encore is comparable to a Ruger #1? If so that is pretty cool, even though I might never have a use for that much power, it would be nice to know my gun could handle it.

Once upon a time, I had cause to ask the folks at TC that very question. The said not to go higher than the Marlin loads. Why they would say that, I don't know. Seems to me they chamber cartridges with pressures above 50K CUP (Hornady) loads. 8-)

stubshaft
10-30-2009, 01:23 AM
Once upon a time, I had cause to ask the folks at TC that very question. The said not to go higher than the Marlin loads. Why they would say that, I don't know. Seems to me they chamber cartridges with pressures above 50K CUP (Hornady) loads. 8-)

The 500 Smith is over 50K CUP.

BABore
10-30-2009, 09:37 AM
Case head diameter dictates the backthrust against the breech face. You can run a small diameter case head like the 223 much higher in pressure than the 45-70. For comparison, the belted mag cases (H&H), have a 0.532 dia. case head. The 500 S&W has a 0.480 diameter. The 45-70 is 0.608.

I can run my 338 Win Mag up to about mid point in most reloading manuals before I show pressure signs. The 500 S&W should be able to go a bit hotter than this. The 45-70, since it's larger in diameter, will take a little less. That said, I know of a gent that has sent in many samples into Hodgdon's lab for pressure testing. I asked him the same question on the T/C Encore's strength with the 45-70 as he has several. He told me approximately 50 kpsi range.

lathesmith
10-30-2009, 10:17 AM

This myth is from back in the days when T/C made some barrels for the Contender called Armor Alloy II. These barrels would only work with Armor Alloy II frames; they had to be fit to a non-Armor alloy II frame, as they wouldn't just drop right in. They only made these for a few years, but old habits die hard, I guess.

lathesmith