PDA

View Full Version : Poor mans Case Trimmer

Xcaliber
10-29-2009, 08:41 PM
Another project made using D-2 metal , drilled, ground, and hardened to file cases to length. Different blocks made - .308 - .38 spl.--- .357 Mag. / Max. combo etc. All
blocks locate on 5/16" dowels , 2" centers. Screw your holder to bench or vise it.
Then file off excess with new file. I know it looks crude , but it worked for me. Just another idea to share with you all. My Lyman case trimmer came much later but this got me going till then. Here are a few pics. :)

Ernest
10-29-2009, 09:37 PM
That is COOL!!!!! How did you harden the blocks?

stubshaft
10-29-2009, 10:38 PM
Man that's alot of D-2 metal. Haven't seen that much in years. It used to be my steel of choice for knives, but I thought that they stopped making it.

Xcaliber
10-29-2009, 11:59 PM
Back in the early 80's, before our shop went into EDM's and such, we use to harden our own parts for die making. Wrapped up parts in thin steel foil, temper it to around 800, for an hour , then kicked up the heat to about1600 I believe. Its been so long I really can't remember much. After the move to the new shop, the new boss took away alot of our free priveliges. Alot of the stuff made is stuff been put up and wrapped up for 24 - 25 yrs. D-2 we had tons of and the boss before was an avid shooter and better person.:smile:

BerdanIII
11-01-2009, 04:24 PM
Nice work. I have never liked using file trim dies in my press; the filings go everywhere and clog up the die and press threads.

Xcaliber
11-22-2009, 02:53 AM
With a new file , I made quick work of the cases to trim. It makes a mess but it was easy to to wipe off. After I got my rythym going it actually went by faster than my new Lyman trimmer I got later at that point and time. I still remember the blisters I used to get with that Lyman trimmer turning it constantly . Gloves just got in my way. LOL..:smile:

WILCO
11-22-2009, 07:40 AM
I used the LEE Precision case length trimmer chucked up in a drill clamped in a vise. Things got alot better when the E-Z Trim came along! :grin: