PDA

View Full Version : Modern Bond .257 mold

quack1
10-29-2009, 03:37 PM
A few days ago I cast a bunch of boolets with a Bond F-257-130 double cavity mold, and it cast better than most of my other couple dozen molds. Are all Bond molds this good or did I just get lucky with this one? I got the mold about a month ago and this was the first time I had used it. After I got the sprue plate adjusted and the mold up to temperature I cast a little over 400 boolets. Most of the boolets simply fell out of the mold as soon as I opened it. The only way I got any visible defects was if I screwed up and splashed lead into the second cavity while I was filling the first. I weighed all 400+ boolets and only rejected about 20 for low weight. The remaining boolets had less then 1/2 grain variation. Both cavities dropped nice round boolets at .258 with my alloy-WW plus a little tin.
The only thing I can see that might be a problem with this mold is the gas check shank looks a little short in height. I don't have any 25 cal checks yet to try. The mold doesn't appear to have been ground or milled off on the top.
Does anyone else have this mold? If so, do the checks go on OK?
I'm also curious about Bond molds, other than the company was in Delaware I don't know anything about them. This mold is the first one I have ever seen.

largom
10-29-2009, 06:00 PM
I also have 3 Modern Bond 25 Cal. molds which I have not cast any boolits with yet. One double cavity casts two different weight boolits, but I don't know the weights yet. Also have a set of Modern Bond handles.
I will be watching your replies with great interest myself.

Larry

crazy mark
10-30-2009, 12:45 AM
Go to WWW.castpics.net and under the research section there is a copy of a Bond Mold Catalog. They are sleeper moulds.

Bret4207
10-30-2009, 07:53 AM
I have just one MB mould, but I hope to get more. They were well made as were most moulds of the era. The ease of release may well come from good workmanship but I've found as moulds get used they tend to behave better. Even a new mould tends to works better after a few hundred cycles. I suppose the little flaws wear off, so to speak.

BTW- if you thing the MB is nice, get a good Cramer! Heaven!

jameslovesjammie
10-30-2009, 08:32 PM
From what I've read, the Modern Bond moulds were the Hensley and Gibbs of mould makers back when the Hensley and Gibbs was the Night Owl Enterprises of moulds. All high quality and each has its period of being top of the line.

TAWILDCATT
11-04-2009, 09:58 PM
I have three MB molds bought new they always worked.I just brought them out after yrs of non use.38 RN,356 TC,and a 308 FB.I have the loading tool and also three MB tong tools and scads of dies.they were all bought new.I loaded many 45 ACP on the tong tool.and 38 ACP for my colt 1905.I have two catologs.mols cost $5.00, the tool $10.my first job was at $.35 hr.National Radio in machineshop.
:coffee:

TAWILDCATT
11-04-2009, 09:59 PM
the company started in the 1930s and was gone in 1955.:coffeecom

Suo Gan
11-04-2009, 10:18 PM
I have the loading tool and also three MB tong tools and scads of dies.they were all bought new.I loaded many 45 ACP on the tong tool.and 38 ACP for my colt 1905.
:coffee:

Wildcatt, What did they cost new in 1905? :kidding:

semtav
11-04-2009, 10:32 PM
I recently bought an F-257-730 mold. I've cast a few. took a while to start filling out, but seem to work good now. Proably didn't clean it good enough.
this particular mold has real shallow grooves, and the gas check is really beveled, don't know how the gas checks will stay on. Might have to put a few on tonight just to see if they stay on.

Bent Ramrod
11-05-2009, 12:04 AM
Modern-Bond got out of the loading tool business in the early 1950's. They continued to make the Universal Receivers that loading plants and component companies use to test their pressures and velocities until 1980 or so, if I recall. Handloading tools were always just a sideline for them.